Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
I was wondering what ideas people had for the low-end iPod.

I've figured maybe they'd go to a 1 gig compact flash type player and changed the look a little because apple always wants you to be able to tell exactly what product someone's using just by looking at it(aluminum skin type look?).

The resulting player could probably be even smaller than the iPod in height and thickness, but could they find a cheap enough supplier of compact flash to sell it for $150, or$ 200?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
White plastic denotes a consumer product and aluminium denotes professional product line... so your color scheme would be reversed.

i still don't think this is going to happen...

pnw

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Your bottom of the line iPod is going to be a 5/10GB refurbished model, because that's the cheapest affordable you're going to get. And I think you can (with luck) find such models for $150 to $200.

Now that brings up a question to mind: Why doesn't Apple do some strong low-end marketing throughout most of their i-Line products? (How about a 600MHz G3 iBook for $699? 15 inch 800MHz G4 iMac for $799? etc.)

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Yes. Any cheaper iPod would be appreciated.

I have 255 songs in iTunes amounting to just under 1Gb (MP3s). So why do I need a 10, 20, 40Gb?? I don't even need a 5Gb one!

I suspect Apple knows this too and that they have greater plans for the iPod which will take advantage of the huge disks in these things. Eg as external storage, a color lcd so can be movie player etc.

I think if Apple was to bring out a low-end iPod, it would probably use some sort of flash ram. But 1Gb usb devices still cost $500 (Australian) which is the same as the 10Gb iPod. I reckon they'll wait til flash ram gets cheap enough then bring out a 1Gb iPod for the low end.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Compact flash is 202 on pricewatch for 1 gig. i'm assuming they could get it for cheaper.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by King Cobra
Your bottom of the line iPod is going to be a 5/10GB refurbished model, because that's the cheapest affordable you're going to get. And I think you can (with luck) find such models for $150 to $200.

I already have a 5gb version, but there has been a lot of talk about trying to find a lower-end version that would be cheaper so apple could bring in the 150 dollar range player and blanket the market.

I'm just seeing what other people think would be the best idea.

riwanami

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Originally posted by ethernet76
I already have a 5gb version, but there has been a lot of talk about trying to find a lower-end version that would be cheaper so apple could bring in the 150 dollar range player and blanket the market.

I'm just seeing what other people think would be the best idea.

I agree that it may make sense for Apple to come with a smaller (both physically and hard drive size wise), cheaper, and longer battery lasting iPod since not everyone has 5000 mp3s. By using the 1 inch hard drive, they may be able to come with such with HD sizes ranging from 1.5 to 3GB in the near future. Rio Nitrus uses the 1.5GB 1inch drive and it's much smaller and lighter, plus it gets 16 hours of battery life. Now if Apple can price it down to $150 to $199 and incorporate its magic design, it would be a good product.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by ChrisH3677

I suspect Apple knows this too and that they have greater plans for the iPod which will take advantage of the huge disks in these things. Eg as external storage, a color lcd so can be movie player etc.

Umm.. it already does the former of your two eg's..

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Or they could bring back the 5 gig one. sell it for around 200ish maybe a bit cheaper. If they can sell a refurb for 200 then they can sell a new one for the same price. Even a 5 gig in the new case should be cheaper then what they are putting out now. The drives themselves have to have gon down dramaticlly now that the are avalible in 40 gb sizes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.