PDA

View Full Version : Future of MP3?

igordi
Oct 22, 2001, 11:22 AM
This might be an ignorant comment but I'm very curious for opinions. A lot of the speculation about this new device centres around MP3 music and I'm wondering what kind of future MP3 actually has as we know it. Let me tell you why I'm wondering. A little over a year ago I first hooked up my high speed internet. I immediately began downloading music like crazy from Napster on my Lime 333 iMac. The thing was that it only had a 6gb HD and to burn all these CD's I had to use my Zip drive to transport files to friends PC's to burn. I was a little pissed that Apple was so behind on this whole craze and by the time they actually introduced the CDRW models they were out of my price range and Napster was a shell of it's former self. I've made almost 100 CD's since then containing a wide range of tunes and only just this summer I bought a CDRW iMac finaly. The thing is that my music collection is pretty much done and even if I want more tunes I can't find a site that even compares to Napster. I also read all these articles about copy-protected CD's and really wonder if this product has much of a future. I just figure that everyone who wanted to rip and burn already has.

Sorry for the long post but I'd love to hear comments and advice on where to get songs or programs or movies from. I currently use Limewrie or Aimster but the download speeds suck.

Newton-Man
Oct 22, 2001, 12:34 PM
Try Charracho.com or hlsearch.com two services for people like you and myself who have broadband connections.

They take a while to setup but fast connection speeds!!

E-mail me on newtonman@brooklineuk.com for more info!

Thanks,

Guy

Dj Mas
Nov 30, 2001, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by igordi
This might be an ignorant comment but I'm very curious for opinions. A lot of the speculation about this new device centres around MP3 music and I'm wondering what kind of future MP3 actually has as we know it. Let me tell you why I'm wondering. A little over a year ago I first hooked up my high speed internet. I immediately began downloading music like crazy from Napster on my Lime 333 iMac. The thing was that it only had a 6gb HD and to burn all these CD's I had to use my Zip drive to transport files to friends PC's to burn. I was a little pissed that Apple was so behind on this whole craze and by the time they actually introduced the CDRW models they were out of my price range and Napster was a shell of it's former self. I've made almost 100 CD's since then containing a wide range of tunes and only just this summer I bought a CDRW iMac finaly. The thing is that my music collection is pretty much done and even if I want more tunes I can't find a site that even compares to Napster. I also read all these articles about copy-protected CD's and really wonder if this product has much of a future. I just figure that everyone who wanted to rip and burn already has.

Sorry for the long post but I'd love to hear comments and advice on where to get songs or programs or movies from. I currently use Limewrie or Aimster but the download speeds suck.

sparkleytone
Nov 30, 2001, 01:41 PM
i see the future of mp3 as being as bright and lively as it ever has been. the record industry does not seem to have the humility to realize that once consumer-oriented products were introduced, mp3 as a format became standard and not something easily killed. copy-protection and the likes are all things that will be broken easily. i have collected mp3's since its very beginning, and as i collected before there was a napster or anything like it i shall continue to collect after such programs live and die. those of us who are true music lovers and appreciate this art continue to support the artists artistically and financially. i buy more cds now than i ever did, and my musical horizons have been expanded tenfold. long live mp3.

sparkleytone (music major)

SPG
Nov 30, 2001, 02:23 PM
Isn't it true that most of the artists make their money from live shows?
Most of the moeny made form CD sales go to the record companies anyway.

mymemory
Nov 30, 2001, 06:12 PM
When you go to a concer, you usually buy a ticket for $40. That is about the double of the ammount of a CD.

The artist usually gets $3 per CD. If you sell a million copies (lucky you), yo may get $3 million, but that takes too long.

In one concert, with $40 tickets and 5.000 fans you may make 200.000, plus posters, souveniers, hats, pins, etc. You may be expending extra $30 or $20 in that concert.

Plus if you do 2 concerts a week with 40.000 people at $80 the ticket (U2), you may be making $6.400.000 a week (only with tickets) and that money is yours, the stadiums get the drinks and the food usually.

CD's doesn't make money unless you make a clasic but CDs are used to promote concerts. The tour is where the big bucks are.

I saw a Depeche Mode video, the 101 concert in Rose Ball in Pasadena California. In the video the managers said they made that single night about one million dollars and they didn't count the merchandising yet.

Screamingbeaver
Nov 30, 2001, 06:25 PM
I know this isn't really mac related, but Music is my second passion.

RE: SPG

That is the way I always thought it to be. I guess it does depend on the artist and contract. A lot of the stuff that I listen to is mostly Metal type stuff, and they aren't selling millions of copies. I've talked to several local band and what I consistantly hear is that they need to get that "tri-state" or "five-state" tour or a supporting slot. Because i guess that is the only way for the newbie bands to make their cash.

I remember an article I read about the music business and they were talkin' about Iron Maiden. Back in '87 They were sellin' out arena shows in every city and they sold out 3nights at Long Beach Arena. They said that they were getting 3% of all album sales, ticket sales, and t-shirt type stuff. I don't know what that would relate to, but it doesn't sound like much really.

My two favorite things.....Macs and Metal.

Unregistered
Jan 27, 2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Newton-Man
Try Charracho.com or hlsearch.com two services for people like you and myself who have broadband connections.

They take a while to setup but fast connection speeds!!

E-mail me on newtonman@brooklineuk.com for more info!

Thanks,

Guy

Kid Red
Jan 27, 2002, 08:57 PM
Well, I was worried about the future of MP3s when M$ said they were going to kill the format in XP and worked out a new format with the record companies that was copy-protected.

I assume, because I haven't heard much about it, that M$ hasn't killed anything yet.

As for the sites, Aimster is the best for me. Remember, for download speeds, you are getting the files off of someone's machine, they arent stored on a huge site with massive bandidth to spare.

eyelikeart
Jan 27, 2002, 09:03 PM
u should try out LimeWire.....I've been it ever since Napster went out....and I've loved it so far!

as for mp3's future, I think it's just the begining of the future. I think we're going to see mp3's in more places now than just being shared between users via the internet.....actually we are starting to see car stereos with mp3 technology....so there's some proof.

As far as I'm concerned, it hasn't hurt the record industry....they are still raping us on prices for cds as usual.

I think things are going to start getting bigger and we'll be able to say we were there in the begining....he he he...

britboy
Jan 27, 2002, 09:30 PM
if it's mp3's you're after, try sputnix. You can get it from www.versiontracker.com, and it runs in osX. It's the mac version of audiogalaxy.

whfsdude
Jan 27, 2002, 10:20 PM
I use http://www.carracho.com I also use aimster but they are now called madster and have no mac app. btw my carracho servers will be back up when I get my new iLamp :-)

Carracho Servers:

Music - earsplitting.dyndns.org:6780

File - wcn.dyndns.org

Carracho Tracker:

tracker-head.dyndns.org

Made:

Carracho Help (http://www.media.willscorner.net/carrachohelp/

jadam
Jan 28, 2002, 01:11 AM
isnt their a version of morpheus, kazaa, or Grokster for Mac OS X, Kazaa and morpheus kick ass for downloading music and files

Macpoops
Jan 28, 2002, 03:08 AM
Last i heard music city.com was stating they would release a OSX version of Morpheus sometime mid first quarter. I use it on my PC and the fastrack technology rocks. The best by far much more user friendly then Limewire or any gnuttella engine. Everyone should give it a look once it comes to Mac it's really the tops