Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XFacta82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Just got a macbook. Should I let it completely charge before turning it on?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
It's already charged I think. When I received my Macbook Pro(same thing) it was already charged. If you want, plug it in and use it. Same thing.

XFacta82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Ok well the reason I asked is...
1. Because the light is orange and not green so it must not be at full charge
2. I tried turning it on before fully charging it and the screen just went dim and I can barely see anything. I restarted it and same thing. I'm probably taking it back tomorrow.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
The Macbook has separate settings it uses based on whether it's plugged in or not. You probably have the screen set to be dimmer when it's unplugged. Unplug is and turn the screen brightness up (F2 on mine, but they may have changed the lay out). That will make your "unplugged" pattern set to be brighter.

To manually edit these settings, click on the battery icon.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Calibrate the battery right away...

All the Mac Techs suggest calibrating your battery right away and then calibrating it once a month. Supposedly it keeps the battery healthier longer. My old MBP would barely go 1.5 hours on a full charge (yes, my battery was recalled and exchanged). No matter, the battery was useless. My new Macbook gave me almost 5 hours today with a fully bright display, using WiFi and several applications open at once! Did I say I love my MacBook!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.