PDA

View Full Version : Two easy questions about Apple's universal dock

Pathfinder55
Jun 7, 2008, 08:19 AM
I'm thinking about getting a universal dock for my iPod touch. I have two questions for you guys that could be easily be answered.

1. Can you play movies via the dock?

2. Does the dock have a front row interface?

PkennethV
Jun 7, 2008, 08:36 AM
I'm thinking about getting a universal dock for my iPod touch. I have two questions for you guys that could be easily be answered.

2. Does the dock have a front row interface?

1) yes

2) you'll be using the same ipod interface (though the volume indicator would look like the ones you see on Mac computers so you'll be able to see it easier).

r6girl
Jun 7, 2008, 08:48 AM

yes, but you'll still need one of apple's video output cables to connect the dock to your TV. they offer component or composite cables, each at $49, so a bit on the pricey side...

Pathfinder55
Jun 7, 2008, 12:56 PM
yes, but you'll still need one of apple's video output cables to connect the dock to your TV. they offer component or composite cables, each at $49, so a bit on the pricey side...

So, It would cost $100 just to watch movies via my iPod touch on my TV? What what a rip off.

Fuchal
Jun 7, 2008, 01:06 PM
So, It would cost $100 just to watch movies via my iPod touch on my TV? What what a rip off.

You can just get one of the video cables and plug it directly into the ipod touch skipping the dock.

r6girl
Jun 7, 2008, 01:14 PM

pretty much, if you want that set-up with the dock. the good thing about the cable is that they each come with an AC adapter - i've been using the cable alone and putting out video uses a lot of battery power and the adapter is nice to have.

You can just get one of the video cables and plug it directly into the ipod touch skipping the dock.

absolutely - probably the best idea since the dock is really superfluous for this use, just a nice-to-have...