PDA

View Full Version : Apple Computer - From Proud PC Inventor to Niche Player


MacBytes
Dec 1, 2003, 10:10 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple Computer - From Proud PC Inventor to Niche Player (http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/32265.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

revenuee
Dec 1, 2003, 10:19 AM
"In a surprise move, Jobs reached out to arch-enemy Bill Gates to be a partner. Gates, for his part, not only lent the distressed firm some 150 million dollars, but also committed to developing the crucial Microsoft Office software package for the MacIntosh platform. The colorfully designed iMac computers, successful laptop offerings, and portable entertainment devices like the iPod music player have helped Jobs lead Apple out of its crisis state."


I did not know this

LethalWolfe
Dec 1, 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by revenuee
"In a surprise move, Jobs reached out to arch-enemy Bill Gates to be a partner. Gates, for his part, not only lent the distressed firm some 150 million dollars, but also committed to developing the crucial Microsoft Office software package for the MacIntosh platform. The colorfully designed iMac computers, successful laptop offerings, and portable entertainment devices like the iPod music player have helped Jobs lead Apple out of its crisis state."


I did not know this

Yup. I still remember when Jobs made the announcement. I wasn't a Mac user then, but I was still like, "holy crap.":eek:

The article seemed kinda pointless. All it did was give a nickle tour of Apple's history.


Lethal

bousozoku
Dec 1, 2003, 11:16 AM
I was interested in knowing that this author change NeXT Computer to NeXT Software, changing history forever. To add to this, he changed the name Macintosh to MacIntosh.

Perhaps, he should have been a bit more accurate and used a spell checker. ;)

Longey Nowze
Dec 1, 2003, 11:56 AM
didn't office or maybe just word come out on the mac fist? wasn't it an investment rather than a loan?

MaT

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 1, 2003, 12:07 PM
It was an investment. And the whole thing is pretty ironic. But how much fun would it be if the whole world was Macintosh now. Nothing would've happend like it did. They would just be a huge monopoly with no innovation. Just somethin to think about.

pretentious
Dec 1, 2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Longey Nowze
didn't office or maybe just word come out on the mac fist? wasn't it an investment rather than a loan?

MaT

I know Excel was first on a Mac, but I don't know if the rest if the suite was as well.

The whole 1997 thing is shady at best, it came out as a non-voting 'investment' by MS. but I have information that it was deeper than that.

bousozoku
Dec 1, 2003, 01:00 PM
I believe that Office was first announced for Windows 95.

Word and Excel were available for Macintosh first. I don't remember the date of the originals but I recall using Word 4.x in 1990. There was also a DOS version of Word. MS' first spreadsheet application was Multiplan, which was available in GUI for Mac and MSX.

Remember that Microsoft was commissioned to develop MacWrite, MacDraw, MacPaint, etc. but Apple ended up doing the majority of the work.

eric_n_dfw
Dec 1, 2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
MS' first spreadsheet application was Multiplan, which was available in GUI for Mac and MSX.
I had MS Multiplan on my Amiga 500 in the late 80's. :D

MoparShaha
Dec 1, 2003, 06:17 PM
"I was with Apple on the day when IBM announced its PC. They weren't interested in the news at all," says Microsoft founder Bill Gates. "It took them an entire year to understand what was happening there."

Creepy! Bill Gates at Apple. Yes, I know the history, but still.