PDA

View Full Version : About the iPhone Marketplace subforum

Doctor Q
Jun 7, 2008, 11:49 PM
There is an increased number of iPhone-related Marketplace threads because of WWDC.

The iPhone Marketplace is a subforum of the Marketplace forum. Its purpose is to give our members an easier way to find threads for buying, selling, or trading iPhones.

avigalante
Jun 8, 2008, 12:04 AM
I think this is a wonderful idea as it increases the utility of the Marketplace by making it easier and neater. This should not be limited to iPhone, but extended to other products in different platforms such as - iPods, MacBooks/MacBook Airs/MacBook Pros, and etc.

albinoAZN
Jun 8, 2008, 12:07 AM
Or maybe larger categories like

-iPhone
-iPods
-Apple Computers
-Other Computing
-Miscellaneous
or just have the main forum act as the miscellaneous category and have those other subforums.

marclapierre13
Jun 8, 2008, 01:05 AM
I think its a good idea as well, that way for people NOT looking for an iphone, they dont have to waste their time looking through iphone ads, etc.

I think another, more specific subsection might be handy. I would not like to see to many being put up, because that would make us browsers have to search many subforums. Maybe a specific example could be:

-Photography equipment
-Automobiles

etc.
If there are to many subforums, it would be a pain browsing through them all.

or just have the main forum act as the miscellaneous category and have those other subforums.

to many sub forums.

Zwhaler
Jun 8, 2008, 07:47 AM
I'm not so sure if categories is a good idea, since people often sell multiple things in one thread, so I think it is fine as it is now (Reg. Marplace, iPhone Marketplace)

Koodauw
Jun 8, 2008, 07:53 AM
I think we just needs an iphonerumors.com to solve everything ;)

iMpathetic
Jun 8, 2008, 10:00 AM
I think this is a great idea. Now people looking for iPhones don't have to look at Macs, and people looking at Macs don't have to troll through iPhone threads!

grouper
Jun 8, 2008, 11:18 AM
i dont mind a seperate iphone subforum, but i wouldnt like any more subforums. most of the time i dont know what i'm looking for until i have found it

iMpathetic
Jun 8, 2008, 11:35 AM
i dont mind a seperate iphone subforum, but i wouldnt like any more subforums. most of the time i dont know what i'm looking for until i have found it

You know what? You're right.

I award you 54 internets.

TSE
Jun 8, 2008, 01:15 PM
The categories should be:

-Mac Computers
-Other Computers
-iPod/iPhone
-Software
-Miscellaneous

albinoAZN
Jun 8, 2008, 01:21 PM

I change my stance to agree with grouper. I'm the same way, I just didn't know it :P

avigalante
Jun 8, 2008, 02:17 PM

Very true.

I still feel as though some general subcategories will prove to be helpful. It would provide a more "web-store" like experience, such as Amazon.com. Come to think of it - whenever I browse Amazon.com, I tend to go by the subcategories they have provided and it always makes for a better browsing experience.

Just as another forum member mentioned above - broader categories would be extremely helpful, such as: Computing, Electronics, Misc, etc. But then again, this would be a pain for people (such as myself) who group items into lists.

I guess there are pros and cons to both sides.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

PMB
Jun 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
i think you should add ipod touch, since people may want to unload those for a 3g iphone

smartdog126
Jun 12, 2008, 09:07 AM

dude it says "Iphone Marketplace"!!!! for iphones only like he said

juanster
Jun 20, 2008, 04:02 PM
great idea...

upsguy27
Jun 20, 2008, 04:12 PM
Now if only more people would post in the iPhone subforum...

w8ing4intelmacs
Jun 26, 2008, 07:38 AM
I don't mind a separate iPhone Marketplace, but does it have to be listed at the top of the normal Marketplace? I'm not in the market for an iPhone, but every time I go to "Marketplace", "iPhone Marketplace" is prominently displayed at the top. Between that and the forum stickies, I have to scroll down just to get to other items.

BTW, I disagree that there are enough iPhone listings to warrant a separate marketplace. Using yesterday as an example, there were only 5 different iPhone threads posted to (and I think that was a good day). In comparison, almost 40 different other Marketplace threads were posted to.

Maybe it gets a little busier around the iPhone 3G release date, but long-term, I don't really think it's necessary :)

albinoAZN
Jun 26, 2008, 11:10 AM
dude it says "Iphone Marketplace"!!!! for iphones only like he said

I wasn't talking about inside this forum, stupid.

Doctor Q
Jun 26, 2008, 11:31 AM
I don't mind a separate iPhone Marketplace, but does it have to be listed at the top of the normal Marketplace? I'm not in the market for an iPhone, but every time I go to "Marketplace", "iPhone Marketplace" is prominently displayed at the top. Between that and the forum stickies, I have to scroll down just to get to other items.The forum system puts subforums at the top of the forum display and that's not something we can change. However, when there are many active iPhone-related threads, which are now in the subforum instead of the main forum, you are seeing one area at the top (for the subforum link) instead of all of those individual threads, and overall you should have less scrolling to do to see the other items for sale/trade.

It isn't perfect for everyone, but it seems to be helping keep things organized.