Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npiacpka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I'm moving my entire photo library, consisting of 50,000+ photos on my macbook. Yes i have room, as I put in a 250gb drive. The library consists of 47 main folders, but each has sub folders, some having as many as 9! I was looking at putting them into iPhoto 08, with the event view, but I can't do sub events. Any ideas of how I should set this up??

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
Well... your sort of supposed to just let iPhoto figure it out for you. There's no way to do "sub events"; iPhoto just makes its own events by date and time, which is customizable, but it will invariably produce some results that you don't like. My advice to you is to just bite the bullet and let iPhoto figure it out, then edit the events until they match your liking.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Well... your sort of supposed to just let iPhoto figure it out for you. There's no way to do "sub events"; iPhoto just makes its own events by date and time, which is customizable, but it will invariably produce some results that you don't like. My advice to you is to just bite the bullet and let iPhoto figure it out, then edit the events until they match your liking.

Or, with 50,000 images to file, maybe think about Aperture??

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I agree with Mr. Doylem. Aperture is a very good idea for organizing large amounts of photos.. And it is MUCH more secure then iPhoto.. (You will never 'accidentally' delete any photos)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm moving my entire photo library, consisting of 50,000+ photos on my macbook. Yes i have room, as I put in a 250gb drive. The library consists of 47 main folders, but each has sub folders, some having as many as 9! I was looking at putting them into iPhoto 08, with the event view, but I can't do sub events. Any ideas of how I should set this up??

The way iPhoto works is different. With iPhoto you just dump all your photos into one big "bucket". Each photo is tagged with a date, subject rating, location and whatever. Then you make a bunch of smart albums. Each smart albun "pulls" the photos into it. As you add and tag photos they get sorted into the correct albums. One thing different is that a phot might sort into any number of albums. It might be in ten albums but will only be on the disk once. Yes you can force your method on iPhoto. It allways folders inside folders with "not smart albums" inside the folders and then you would simply ignore the event view but "forcing" this on iPhoto takes some effort and then you have to maintain it.

Aperture is slightly better with it's organization. It's more flexible than iPhoto. You might try that. But with flexibility comes a lelarning curve. It will take some time to understand

All media asset managers are going to be based in searched meta data not folder organization. I'm very surpprized youi got this far using nested folders.

One more thing, both iPhoto and Aperture give you the option to jkeep your photos in folders outside of the library. You might be tempted to do this but then youhave to manage them and be very carful to never mess with the files again. We see posting weeking here from people who lost files do to operator error. Just let Aperture do what it does. Also the import will not be aautomatic, you will have to do a lot of data entry and the import may take a few weeks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.