Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Hi,

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate using Bootcamp. It runs fine with just a couple of anomalies.
First is that the sound quality is quite poor...almost like AM radio...I've tried installing the latest Realtek drivers but it's made no difference. I've stuck it onto "Rock" preset and that has improved things slightly but I was wondering if there was a proper fix for this?
Also, even though Vista see's that I have dual processors and correctly reports them (and I get two CPU usage graphs under task manager) applications such as dBpoweramp don't see it and run in single processor mode? Again, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm running a 24" 2.8GHz iMac with 4GB Ram.

Thanks,
Mark Morb

gyohng

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
Hello,

I think the problem happens because OSX has some correction for the sound, and Windows doesn't have any processing.

I have measured 24" iMac response and created a DSP code for Vista/Windows7 to apply this correction, and a beta version is ready. The solution doesn't work on Windows XP however.

Here is a link:
http://www.yohng.com/imacsoundfix.zip

I also noted, that the microphone is switched on by default, which creates an unnecessary feedback in the sound.

Please check readme.txt inside the archive with the instruction how to switch the microphone feedback off.

The measurements were taken from my 24 inch iMac, so I cannot say for sure, how this algorithm will perform on a computer, which is acoustically different from 24 inch aluminium iMacs, but then again you _have_ a 24 inch iMac, so probably it will work properly.

Thanks,
George.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.