Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
does anyone know of a resource(i.e. book, web tutorial) on graphics.
Like drawing lines, rectangles, circles etc.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I am not going to be a good resource for this, but would ask that you clarify what you're wanting. Do you want to do this with Quartz in Cocoa? Do you want to do OpenGL in C++? I think if you're more specific you might get more replies.

-Lee

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
i own a macbook pro running mac os x 10.5.2.
i have installed xcode and the developer tools.
i have been programming in objective-c and c.
I haven't come across any subjects on graphics in the programming books i have been reading. I have used q-basic and was able to do simple things like drawing lines and geometrical shapes, i have also done some primitive animation in q-basic, i thought my macbook would be able to do similar if not better things. Just don't know where to begin.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
i own a macbook pro running mac os x 10.5.2.
i have installed xcode and the developer tools.
i have been programming in objective-c and c.
I haven't come across any subjects on graphics in the programming books i have been reading. I have used q-basic and was able to do simple things like drawing lines and geometrical shapes, i have also done some primitive animation in q-basic, i thought my macbook would be able to do similar if not better things. Just don't know where to begin.

You have not answered the questions. Which API do you want to use?

You could use any of the APIs I listed above for drawing objects, there is Quartz in Cocoa. Carbon has drawing functions. OpenGL allows you to do 2D drawing. Which do you want to use?

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I don't think the problem is that there's not the ability to do what you want on your macbook, but that there are too many different ways. If you are working with objective-c and cocoa already, try this out:
http://cocoadevcentral.com/d/intro_to_quartz/

I didn't see lines mentioned, but rectangles and points are in that tutorial. I think you should be on your way if you work through that.

-Lee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.