PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions before i buy this

jas48150
Jun 9, 2008, 01:21 PM
i was thinking about buying an i pod touch and i just had a few basic questions
1. does the screen go to sleep on its own or do you have to hit that button at the top everytime
2.how nasty and fingerprinted does the screen get
3. is this a good product

thanks

sgtboy
Jun 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
was thinking about buying an i pod touch and i just had a few basic questions
1. does the screen go to sleep on its own or do you have to hit that button at the top everytime
2.how nasty and fingerprinted does the screen get
3. is this a good product

1) Yes it does by itself or you can do manually
2) Not terrible, i bought a protective film cover (anti glare from apple store) and it wipes off great with the included cloth
3) yes

sportsfrk214
Jun 9, 2008, 02:09 PM
1. Pressing the button on top will lock the iPod. You can also set it to automatically lock after 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 minutes of non-use. You can also set it to never lock automatically.

2. Fingerprints aren't as bad as I thought. As long as your fingers aren't greasy, the fingerprints aren't that bad, and are virtually unnoticeable when the screen is on. A simple wipe with a cloth removes the fingerprints quickly.

3. Yes, it is a great product, one of the best I've ever purchased.

asskick3r
Jun 9, 2008, 07:15 PM
You see... I'm thinking of buying one as well... but if the 3g iphone is going to be released won't the price of the ipod go down? Or will they release a newer version of the ipod... just like the iphone?
:confused:

only
Jun 9, 2008, 07:41 PM
You see... I'm thinking of buying one as well... but if the 3g iphone is going to be released won't the price of the ipod go down? Or will they release a newer version of the ipod... just like the iphone?
:confused:

the 3g iphone + mandatory activation still makes it more expensive than an ipod touch and there already is a promo for the touch that lasts till September that pretty much guarantees there will be no price drop till it ends and apple is ready to sell next gen ipod touches

taru91
Jun 9, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, the iPhone 3G of 8GB is $199.99 but you need to use it as a phone mandatory, so you get a contract with AT&T for 2 years minimum and pay 29.99$ per month. ( correct me if wrong)

Like another user said, the fingerprints do show up while the screen is off and in an specific angle against the lightsource. But, when the screen is on, they are unnoticable. Oh and yes, the iPod Touch does go to sleep-mode automatically unless you set it to never turn off or a longer wait, the lowest is 1 minute and it goes to sleep.

droalex
Jun 9, 2008, 09:10 PM
Fingerprints aren't a problem. You won't even notice them if the screen is on

jas48150
Jun 10, 2008, 11:41 AM
ok thanks guys i just have one more question. i keep hearing stuff about a firmware update and maybe a price drop so should i get this now or wait a while to see wats going on

aethelbert
Jun 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yes, the iPhone 3G of 8GB is $199.99 but you need to use it as a phone mandatory, so you get a contract with AT&T for 2 years minimum and pay 29.99$ per month. ( correct me if wrong)
Actually, the minimum is about $75/month now. It's pretty expensive and if you won't use all of the features provided in the phone plan, there's really no point to buying the iPhone.

ok thanks guys i just have one more question. i keep hearing stuff about a firmware update and maybe a price drop so should i get this now or wait a while to see wats going on
The 2.0 firmware upgrade will come in July, most likely on the eleventh. It's gonna be $9.95, so if you buy it now, you'll have to pay that later. As for a price drop, that almost never happens with Apple's products (iPhone is the rare exception). They'll update it to a higher capacity and maybe add something like tactile volume buttons. Now seems like a good time to buy, but if you want to save $10, wait until next month. I personally think that you'll get $10 worth of use out of it in thirty-one days.

lac101
Jun 10, 2008, 03:57 PM
Actually, the minimum is about $75/month now. It's pretty expensive and if you won't use all of the features provided in the phone plan, there's really no point to buying the iPhone.

The 2.0 firmware upgrade will come in July, most likely on the eleventh. It's gonna be $9.95, so if you buy it now, you'll have to pay that later. As for a price drop, that almost never happens with Apple's products (iPhone is the rare exception). They'll update it to a higher capacity and maybe add something like tactile volume buttons. Now seems like a good time to buy, but if you want to save $10, wait until next month. I personally think that you'll get $10 worth of use out of it in thirty-one days.

Even if you wait, 9 times out of 10 the upgrade wont be pre installed on them after its release, i bought my iTouch 2 months after January's upgrade and i still had to buy it form the iTunes store.

aethelbert
Jun 10, 2008, 04:10 PM
Even if you wait, 9 times out of 10 the upgrade wont be pre installed on them after its release, i bought my iTouch 2 months after January's upgrade and i still had to buy it form the iTunes store.
I know that in the US, at least, they were discounted by the price of the upgrade in stores. So instead of selling for 299 USD, the ones without the update were 279. With this, one could go out and buy the update. I saw them as late as early may at some of our local stores, so it does indeed take a while. Did they do something similar on your side of the pond?

lac101
Jun 10, 2008, 04:26 PM
No, Nothing of the sort, you just bought it with the 1.1.4 update but no upgrade.
i honestly think its ridiculous that we (iTouch owners) have to pay more money with the 2.0 update.

For those who didnt buy the January software upgrade, do you think that 2.0 will include these apps?

aethelbert
Jun 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
No, Nothing of the sort, you just bought it with the 1.1.4 update but no upgrade.
i honestly think its ridiculous that we (iTouch owners) have to pay more money with the 2.0 update.
Wait, you got one new with 1.1.4 that didn't have the update? That's very strange, because everything that left the factory after macworld was supposed to come with the update, while everything shipped before would have come with 1.1.2. Getting 1.1.4 pre-installed with no update is very odd.

For those who didnt buy the January software upgrade, do you think that 2.0 will include these apps?
No, I don't think so. The nicest thing that I can see them doing would be combining them and making it 20-25usd, but even that might be pushing it. I think that they're most likely to stay independent of each other, but only time will tell.