PDA

View Full Version : Still no 16 GB Nano.

Rowlander
Jun 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
If you look at the small, flashbased MP3-player market, there are already many available with 16 GB!

Take the Creative Zen which is hardly bigger than the nano: You can get a 16GB-version zen for the same price (or less) as a 8 GB nano, 199$.

There is even a 32 GB version of the zen!

So what is Apple waiting for? Especially since they added video to the nano a 8 GB maximum seems too tiny. I donīt think that a 16 GB version would eat into the sales of the classic. It seems they are waiting for September because that is their product-renewal cycle. But I find that dumb since the market has been clearly ready for a 16 GB nano for a while now!

northy124
Jun 9, 2008, 03:37 PM
Wait for MacWorld I think it will be launched then, Also not dumb as it is perfect for back to school.

Rowlander
Jun 9, 2008, 04:00 PM
Nah, not Macworld, at the September event, Iīm sure!
I just donīt agree with the decision to delay it for so long and donīt find it logical. I guess, iPods are such a strong brand that they donīt REALLY need to be as good as the competition all the time. ;)

MacHappytjg
Jun 9, 2008, 04:07 PM
yea but wouldnt the nano get bigger and would defeat the purpose of a nano isnt it sopposed to be really small etc.

Chase R
Jun 9, 2008, 06:38 PM
yea but wouldnt the nano get bigger and would defeat the purpose of a nano isnt it sopposed to be really small etc.

Not really, I bet apple could make a 32GB Nano smaller than the one currently available ;) :apple:

MacHappytjg
Jun 9, 2008, 07:55 PM
Not really, I bet apple could make a 32GB Nano smaller than the one currently available ;) :apple:

only as technology evolves

SactoGuy18
Jun 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
If you look at the small, flashbased MP3-player market, there are already many available with 16 GB!

Take the Creative Zen which is hardly bigger than the nano: You can get a 16GB-version zen for the same price (or less) as a 8 GB nano, 199$.

However, it you put a Creative ZEN side-by-side with the 3G iPod nano, note how much physically smaller the nano is. As such, they designed it to support only one flash memory chip, and as such that limits the nano to 8 GB storage. With higher-density flash memory now available, I expect the replacement for the nano to have 16 and possibly 32 GB versions.

Also, the software that comes with the ZEN is no where as elegant as iTunes 7.6.2, either.

ert3
Jun 9, 2008, 09:29 PM
Personally I think the old touch wheel iPods are dead.

Its getting kinda obvious that apple want to push its new touch series.

SkyBell
Jun 10, 2008, 02:16 AM
I think the clickwheel is timeless, and Apple is going to have it for a long time.

Apple could indeed have a 16 or 32 GB nano, quite easily. But the price would be too great to really justify getting it instead of an iPod Touch.

Rowlander
Jun 10, 2008, 04:09 AM
... But the price would be too great to really justify getting it instead of an iPod Touch.

Again: The 16GB Zen is around 199$.

The 8 GB nano is 199$,
the 8 GB touch is 299$,
the 16 GB touch is 399$

Even if the 16 nano was 299$, it would still offer enough "advantages" like size and capacity over the 8GB-touch. More than enough people would buy it, believe me. I would buy a 16GB-nano over an 8GB-touch if they were the same price. 8GB is just not enough. :o

djshew12
Jun 10, 2008, 11:52 AM
Wait for MacWorld I think it will be launched then, Also not dumb as it is perfect for back to school.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but when is MacWorld?

northy124
Jun 10, 2008, 12:10 PM
Looking back at my Post I don't think it will be then but maybe in August (If there's an event)

Cyburnclassic
Jun 10, 2008, 12:48 PM
Im guessing in September Apple will update the ipod nano lineup with 8GB and 16GB.

8GB - Ģ99
16GB - Ģ129/139

aethelbert
Jun 10, 2008, 01:04 PM
Excuse me for my ignorance, but when is MacWorld?
January. But iPod updates typically come in September.

aosman
Jun 10, 2008, 03:00 PM
January. But iPod updates typically come in September.

I am sure there will be a general iPod HD size upgrade by the end of this year.

bloodycape
Jun 10, 2008, 03:42 PM
However, it you put a Creative ZEN side-by-side with the 3G iPod nano, note how much physically smaller the nano is. As such, they designed it to support only one flash memory chip, and as such that limits the nano to 8 GB storage. With higher-density flash memory now available, I expect the replacement for the nano to have 16 and possibly 32 GB versions.

Also, the software that comes with the ZEN is no where as elegant as iTunes 7.6.2, either.
You have to remember the Zen has a SD card slot and a 2.4in screen. That has to do with the larger size.

MacHappytjg
Jun 10, 2008, 04:16 PM
I think the clickwheel is timeless, and Apple is going to have it for a long time.

Apple could indeed have a 16 or 32 GB nano, quite easily. But the price would be too great to really justify getting it instead of an iPod Touch.

yea if they got rid of the touch wheel then i couldnt look at it as a apple ipod it would be just another mp3/mp4