PDA

View Full Version : Two Routers Set Up: One Secure if Other isn't?

cosmokanga2
Jun 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
Here is what I would like.
I want to connect a new D-Link N Router (I'll call it router B) to a older router (Call it router A).

My setup.
Our internet line comes in and goes to router A which is broadcasting unsecured. (I know it's not safe, but we run a campground and the owners want is free and unsecured.):mad: I then want to run a LAN cable from Router A to Router B. Router B will be broadcasting secured.

My question is, even though Router B is secured, would it become vulnerable or unsecured because it is running through a unsecured router (Router A)?

Thanks for the help!

waw74
Jun 9, 2008, 07:09 PM
On Router A, there should be options about letting the wireless clients associate with other things. So you should be able to allow the wireless people on router a only have a connection to the internet

Depending on what Router A is, have you looked into DD-WRT? it is a Linux firmware that runs on many popular routers. It has a lot more options than your manufacturer's firmware has.

Link: DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php)

SVT Amateur
Jun 10, 2008, 12:10 AM
It all depends on how you setup router B. As long as router B is setup secured (not just wirelessly but also with port forwarding, etc.) you shouldn't have any issues. As far as security goes it is just like plugging router B straight to the internet without router A (although I'm sure you have a firewall enabled even though your wireless is unsecured) so as long as B is secure you are good to go.

nyc2socal
Jun 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
It all depends on how you setup router B. As long as router B is setup secured (not just wirelessly but also with port forwarding, etc.) you shouldn't have any issues. As far as security goes it is just like plugging router B straight to the internet without router A (although I'm sure you have a firewall enabled even though your wireless is unsecured) so as long as B is secure you are good to go.

Not 100%. If your goal is to prevent users on router A direct access to the computers on router B, that would work. However... If an user on router A can act as a man in the middle, it can capture all your data coming out of router B. The easiest thing to do, is to buy a third non-wireless router, lets call it C. So what you will have is Router C connected to your broadband, and router A and router B connected to router C.

A couple of configuration notes: use different subnet ranges for each of the routers. So Router C will be 192.168.1.x, Router A will be 192.168.2.x, Router B will be 192.168.3.x.

cosmokanga2
Jun 13, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hey thank you all for the info and help! I mainly wanted a secure network so that could share files and a printer without the rest of the world accessing it. I I got my setup running though but another question.

Am I going to notice any major slow down in my internet speed due to all of the information on router B going through a LAN cable?

Thanks again!

SVT Amateur
Jun 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
^^ No.

cosmokanga2
Jun 17, 2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks you all for the help. Another problem has risen though.

I networked a printer to the secure Router B, however it is showing up on both networks. (Router A and router B's networks.)

Is there anyway to make the printer only show on Router B?

Thanks in advance.