Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy4reals

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
So are the iPod touch owners watching the beginning of the end of the iPod touch? I love my touch, but with a $199 iPhone, how can it stick around? With the student discount it definitely looks like inventory clearance.

So now what? I am not angry, nor annoyed, just sad to think that this amazing platform may reach its pinnacle in the 2.0 software. I am with Verizon till 09, so I am not switching anytime soon.

What does everyone else think? Is this the end?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
The iPhone is subsidized; it has nothing to do with the iPod. The back to school sale comes every year, and iPods are yet to be discontinued. And there are still countries where the iPhone will not be available, and the iPod ships worldwide. It's not going anywhere.

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
So are the iPod touch owners watching the beginning of the end of the iPod touch? I love my touch, but with a $199 iPhone, how can it stick around? With the student discount it definitely looks like inventory clearance.

So now what? I am not angry, nor annoyed, just sad to think that this amazing platform may reach its pinnacle in the 2.0 software. I am with Verizon till 09, so I am not switching anytime soon.

No this is anything but the end.

A few things to keep in mind

1)Not everyone wants a phone.

2)The touch will appeal to alot of people.Those who don't wanta phone or be stuck in a contract.

3)Apple very well could have come out today and cut the touch.But they do see that it is a big seller has a great deal of sucess.So what do they do but more or less up its value with all the new features.

4)I truley think the touch will be a bigger seller this summer then this winter.Which says alot as it has beena big seller from launch.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
The iPod Touch is here to stay. Unless it is somehow possible to get an iPhone without a contract, then those who do not want the phone part of the iPhone (like me) will have to go with a Touch. It is INCREDIBLE how much money you have to spend on a plan. $85 per month x 24 months is $2040. Why not buy a MBP with that kind of money? AT&T prices are crazy-high, and they're not even the best service out there. So the iPod Touch will continue to exist. And those who buy it can feel good about keeping an additional $2000 in their pocket for two straight years.

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
The iPod Touch is here to stay. Unless it is somehow possible to get an iPhone without a contract, then those who do not want the phone part of the iPhone (like me) will have to go with a Touch. It is INCREDIBLE how much money you have to spend on a plan. $85 per month x 24 months is $2040. Why not buy a MBP with that kind of money? AT&T prices are crazy-high, and they're not even the best service out there. So the iPod Touch will continue to exist. And those who buy it can feel good about keeping an additional $2000 in their pocket for two straight years.

I am with bell canada i have a moto q and get this i pay $130.00 per month.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I am with bell canada i have a moto q and get this i pay $130.00 per month.

Well, you're blowing an awful lot of money, that's for sure. :p

It seems like AT&T reduced the initial iPhone cost but increased the monthly cost. Way to help themselves I guess. Too many people don't think about the long-term costs of a monthly service.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
The iPod is going nowhere. I think I represent a pretty large group of people. I want an iPhone. I would be willing to sell my Touch to get one. However until Verizon can get the iPhone, or AT&T reduces their plan prices, I will never get one. I simply refuse to pay $2000+ over 2 years for a cell phone. I can live with having my regular cell and my Touch. $30 for unlimited texting? I get that for $10 with Verizon. The iPod is here to stay, those will always sell because their cheap and have no strings attached.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008

what additional $2000. If you have another cellphone you are still paying monthly bills right? You calculations are not apt at all.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008

hpw can this be the end. I still see older ipods being sold. The touch just looks like the iphone but its indipendent of the iphone like the other apple ipods.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
The iPod is going nowhere. I think I represent a pretty large group of people. I want an iPhone. I would be willing to sell my Touch to get one. However until Verizon can get the iPhone, or AT&T reduces their plan prices, I will never get one. I simply refuse to pay $2000+ over 2 years for a cell phone. I can live with having my regular cell and my Touch. $30 for unlimited texting? I get that for $10 with Verizon. The iPod is here to stay, those will always sell because their cheap and have no strings attached.

Are you kidding me? $30 for unlimited text? Where did you get that figure? Also, how much is your Verizon bill each month and for how many minutes?

Do any of you people that are complaining realize how much unlimited data on a BlackBerry is? Maybe this plans seem crazy to you but they are still cheaper then most of the competition so let it go.

TheCookie

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Boston
Simple

hpw can this be the end. I still see older ipods being sold. The touch just looks like the iphone but its indipendent of the iphone like the other apple ipods.

I don't think it is the end, but you have to recognize that all of the other iPods being sold offer something that no other one does.

iPod Classic has more storage space than anything else, plus stays true to the original
iPod Shuffle is what it always has been--good for carrying a small, random number of songs with a tiny footprint and no display
iPod Nano splits the difference, less storage than classic and smaller screen, but cheaper and more mobile, yet still has a screen, unlike shuffle.

So if the iPhone has everything the Touch has pluse more, and is now cheaper, then what does the Touch have to offer the line?

Well, I'd say that it has the benefit of not forcing you to AT&T for two years... but many would disagree with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.