PDA

View Full Version : I need a router, any router. (WTB)

someguy
Jun 9, 2008, 06:12 PM
I need a router. Any router will do, even a 2-port non-wireless one. I have a switch, I just need something to issue IP addresses throughout my network.

Must be working and include a power cable. Not looking to spend much obviously, and I can pay via PayPal immediately if that's cool.

What do you guys have?

techound1
Jun 9, 2008, 07:40 PM
I have a hawking wireless g for $5. I can't seem to restore it to factory settings (without actually looking for instructions on how to do that :eek::rolleyes:), but it works fine with its existing set-up.

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 9, 2008, 07:58 PM
I have an Actiontec GT704WG wireless 4 port router/modem that I had when we used Verizon. We have TW now so it's just been sitting in the drawer as I use my Microsoft router. I don't know if that's what your looking for so shoot me a price if it is.

ChrisA
Jun 9, 2008, 08:02 PM
.. I just need something to issue IP addresses throughout my network.

You can run a DHCP server on any computer on your network. DHCP servers are free. But then you'd need to always have that machine powered up and running. (I'm pretty sure Mac OS X ships with a DHCP server.)

I have a Linksys wired router. I'd have to verify that it still works. If you've not found one PM me. Price? 50% of lowest on-line retail price plus your shipping.

Trip.Tucker
Jun 9, 2008, 08:09 PM
You can run a DHCP server on any computer on your network. DHCP servers are free. But then you'd need to always have that machine powered up and running. (I'm pretty sure Mac OS X ships with a DHCP server.)

I have a Linksys wired router. I'd have to verify that it still works. If you've not found one PM me. Price? 50% of lowest on-line retail price plus your shipping.

On the computer scenario, you wouldn't have to have it on all the time - set a long lease for assigned ip's and set a flag for local caching to match.

someguy
Jun 9, 2008, 08:43 PM
I have a hawking wireless g for $5. I can't seem to restore it to factory settings (without actually looking for instructions on how to do that :eek::rolleyes:), but it works fine with its existing set-up.
I need something I know I won't have issues with. Thanks, though!

I have an Actiontec GT704WG wireless 4 port router/modem that I had when we used Verizon. We have TW now so it's just been sitting in the drawer as I use my Microsoft router. I don't know if that's what your looking for so shoot me a price if it is.
Is this a cable modem or DSL? Or both perhaps? Is it 100% functional?

On the computer scenario, you wouldn't have to have it on all the time - set a long lease for assigned ip's and set a flag for local caching to match.
I'm not interested in setting up a DHCP server on any of my systems, I just need a basic network setup like I had before my router crapped out.

Still looking for something so anyone else feel free to post what ya got! :)

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 9, 2008, 09:19 PM
I need something I know I won't have issues with. Thanks, though!

Is this a cable modem or DSL? Or both perhaps? Is it 100% functional?

I'm not interested in setting up a DHCP server on any of my systems, I just need a basic network setup like I had before my router crapped out.

Still looking for something so anyone else feel free to post what ya got! :)

Yeah after looking at it, it is a DSL modem/wireless router :o. It has a USB hookup to it. So I don't think this is what you're looking for then.

I'm not entirely sure but I think you can plug it into your computer via USB and if you have a cable modem hook it up to your ethernet port and use this as a 4 port hub by pluging in up to 4 other computers and networking and sharing your internet. I think I have no idea what I'm talking about LOL.

someguy
Jun 9, 2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah after looking at it, it is a DSL modem/wireless router :o. It has a USB hookup to it. So I don't think this is what you're looking for then.
No, sorry. I already have a DSL modem with a built-in router. Thanks, though! :o

I'm not entirely sure but I think you can plug it into your computer via USB and if you have a cable modem hook it up to your ethernet port and use this as a 4 port hub by pluging in up to 4 other computers and networking and sharing your internet. I think I have no idea what I'm talking about LOL.
You and me both. :confused:

ert3
Jun 9, 2008, 09:38 PM

Actually that is exactly what you are looking for.

even if you don't want to slave out a computer for that purpose. A router's main purpose locally is acting as a DHCP server. second it acts as a Gate Way.

Why not just set up static addresses for the network?

4JNA
Jun 9, 2008, 09:57 PM
got a Linksys BEFSR41 ver. 2 (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175243248081&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4808133028B18) as new in a box i'll sell for $10 plus the cost of shipping. used at a customer site for about 4 months, pulled due to upgrade, sitting on a self in the original box since. works great. drop me a pm if you want it.

cyclingplatypus
Jun 9, 2008, 10:03 PM
I've got a D-Link DI-524 just sitting here, PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail, no charge just give it a good home and do a good deed for a stranger.

someguy
Jun 10, 2008, 07:57 AM
Actually that is exactly what you are looking for.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm familiar with what routers are and how they work, and also how DHCP servers work, what I'm not looking for is to do this through one of my machines. Instead, I'd prefer to just acquire a good router and do it that way. Thanks for the tip, though. :)

got a Linksys BEFSR41 ver. 2 as new in a box i'll sell for $10 plus the cost of shipping
PM sent.

I've got a D-Link DI-524 just sitting here, PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail, no charge just give it a good home and do a good deed for a stranger.
PM sent as well. :)

someguy
Jun 16, 2008, 08:28 AM
Package just arrived from 4JNA and I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks for the great deal, and thanks to others for the offers. :)