Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowwraith3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Hey Guys,

I have searched the forums here and from all the threads that I have looked at, I was under the impression that the current Mac Mini as it stands will only address upto 3.3gig of ram if you put 4gig into it.

However I've been having a discussion with a friend, where his work collegue claims that the current mac mini will address 4gig of ram completely. Now I don't know if this is because he is using leopard but I was under the impression that it was more a hardware limitation than anything else. Could anyone verify this one way or the other.

Now the person who was saying that the mac mini can support 4gig of ram sold his mac mini on ebay with screen shots proving that the entire 4gig of ram can be addressed which is found here at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=190227430750&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=009

However based on those screen shots, is what the os reporting true or is there a logical explanation to why it would show 4gig of ram when in theory its only addressable as 3.3gig maximum ?

Sorry about asking this question, I'm sure its been discussed many times in the past, but as those threads are pretty old now and I can't find any recent threads on discussing the topic, just wanted to see if there was some sort of update that I missed that would allow the mac mini to address the entire 4gig or ram.

Thanks

shadowwraith3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
thanks flopticalcube, indeed you have shown that the system is only addressing the 3gig or so ram, I must be getting old as I didn't even notice the amounts not adding upto 4gig.

As far as I'm concerned, the issue is closed and there is no way my friend can come back with a counter arguement :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.