Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teiresias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I just bought a used iBook G4 1.33GHz on eBay from a seller that offers a 30 day return policy. It came today and upon boot i don't get the classic "boot sound," but instead a somewhat garbled burping-like sound. :D

However, the iBook seems to function fine otherwise. It's a bit slow and "hesitant" running Leopard, but it's running the stock 512MB of memory so I'd expect that from it until I stick a 1GB stick in there. Also, the regular speakers work fine once the computer is booted up, so I'm guessing the "boot sound" plays on something analogous to a PC Speaker in a non-Mac PC.

The casing looks good and no defects on the screen, the bottom does get pretty hot, but I think that's usual behavior from a G4 iBook, right?

So, what does everyone think? I'm hesitant to make a stink over the stupid "boot sound" speaker, particularly since it might be easy enough to replace (and it's supposed to still be under AppleCare anyway, so it may just be a trip to the local Apple store to get a fix anyway).

Thanks for the advice guys!

teiresias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Actually, upon a restart it did play the "boot up" sound - strange. The "burping" sound I heard still happened, but immediately after that it played the boot up sound - maybe it didn't play it the first time because that was the first boot-up under Leopard?

I'm just wondering if that sort of "burping" or swooshing sound is normal, now. I haven't bought a used computer in so long I'm a bit paranoid, lol!

ibookluv111

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Is the "burping" also coming out of the speakers? If it's not, could it possibly be coming from the combo (or super) drive? I know all Apple notebooks make an initial sound from the optical drive upon boot. If it is coming from your optical drive, it's probably about ready to go out. I had one in an a Powerbook that was making a sound and then just quit one day and wouldn't take any discs. Hope this helps.

Oh just noticed you said its coming from the speaker. Never mind then, I don't have any idea what this could be then =/

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Try muting the volume (with the mute key), then restarting. It shouldn't make the startup chime (or any other noises from the speaker, for that matter).

teiresias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for the info. The sound is sort of like a small "thud" and it seems to be coming out of the upper right corner of the keyboard part of the iBook - so it could very well be the optical drive, though it has read everything fine that I've thrown at it.

honestly, aside from an OS reinstall I never use my optical drives on my laptops anyway, so it going out wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. I think it's pretty much fine so I'm not going to worry about it. A few of the keyboard keys are wonky, but they don't make it difficult to type on, but I may pick up a keyboard on ebay to replace it with. We'll see. Thanks for the help you all!

teiresias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks, that's good to know that it's normal behavior. The screen is great on this thing and the only other issue is a slightly bent and wobbly (front to back) space bar. The space bar isn't difficult to type on, but just kind of annoying knowing that it's loose - you know - in sight, in mind, hehe. :)

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Mine doe this sound also It is th hardrive loading data for start up

uhm u have a typo in ur signature u say u have a macbook g4 :confused: wtf is with that oh and it gets hot from the screen on the brightest using it it does it on my macbook but i dont use it much anymore its all about the ppc emac :D and i would trust it i would like a ibook g4 myself or powerbook 12"

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I think it would be better to run Tiger on that ibook. Barely meets
the requirements for Leopard.

But all the new versions of OSX are likely to stop supporting ppc processors, like the new snow leopard.

You could be better off with a newer intel MB.

teiresias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
The only thing I do on my laptops is write, check email, and some web browsing, so uber-performance is not a requirement for me in my portables. I actually prefer a somewhat underpowered writing machine because it's easier to stay on task with less distractions :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.