PDA

View Full Version : 8GB iPod Touch Enough?

hgill
Jun 9, 2008, 11:46 PM
As a student buying a new Macbook I'm eligible to get up to $299 toward an iPod of my choice after mail-in rebate. A fantastic deal!

The 8GB Touch is listed as $299. My question is, is that enough space? How much space do they actually give per Touch (ususally a little less than what is advertised, no?)? How much space does using Safari and programs that already come built in (Calender, Notes, etc.) take up?

I would probably have about 1000 songs plus a small handfull of TV episodes and movies at any one time (say, 4 episodes and 3 movies or something) and then probably change stuff up; make room for new stuff by getting rid of the old stuff.

Is 8GB enough for this kind of use? Is it worth it to put in $100 of my own to get the 16GB Touch?

iphone.luke
Jun 9, 2008, 11:48 PM
As a student buying a new Macbook I'm eligible to get up to $299 toward an iPod of my choice after mail-in rebate. A fantastic deal!

The 8GB Touch is listed as $299. My question is, is that enough space? How much space do they actually give per Touch (ususally a little less than what is advertised, no?)? How much space does using Safari and programs that already come built in (Calender, Notes, etc.) take up?

I would probably have about 1000 songs plus a small handfull of TV episodes and movies at any one time (say, 4 episodes and 3 movies or something) and then probably change stuff up; make room for new stuff by getting rid of the old stuff.

Is 8GB enough for this kind of use? Is it worth it to put in $100 of my own to get the 16GB Touch?

with the 16 gb i get 14.8 gb to use,

I would get the 16 for future growth ;)

hgill
Jun 9, 2008, 11:55 PM
Okay, thanks.

But does you think the 8GB has the capacity to hold what I've described above and still function?

droalex
Jun 9, 2008, 11:57 PM
I don't think it will be enough if your movies are 700-800 MB each.

alphaod
Jun 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
Okay, thanks.

But does you think the 8GB has the capacity to hold what I've described above and still function?

Yes it should be enough.

MacPlugin
Jun 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
It all depends how much music or videos you want. The ipod touch OS takes up about 2 gigs so you would only have 6 gigs to use. It wouldn't be enough memory for me because I have tons of music. Yet it all depends how much memory you want. I would have to say
go for the 16 gig

AceFernalld
Jun 10, 2008, 12:23 AM
The ipod touch OS takes up about 2 gigs so you would only have 6 gigs to use

You are incorrect. After the OS the iPod touch is left with 7.4GB for Music, Movies, Photos, etc. That means the OS takes 0.6GB, not 2GB.

To the TS:I find my 8GB model to be plenty enough. But aren't movies like 1GB each? If I were you I'd cough up the extra $100 for the 16GB model.