Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hardon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
so got a bit tipsy tonight, and i spilt a glass of wine on my keyboard, "bugger"!

so unplugged it straight away and stuck it on the radiator, every key works fine except my down, arrow key? does this mean its xxxxed?

ps, im using a PC USB backup from a mate of mine to write this...

any suggestions would help, thn in advance. :confused:

hardon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
it was the stock keyboard, shipped with my G4 tower..

thanx for reply guys..this PC keyboard is really mucking around with my system, must be cus it needs drivers or sumit..

any way ill keep my fingers crossed.

ps. did you know that the @ and the " key are different on a pc keyboard, i didnt till tonight, LOL ;)

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by hardon
ps. did you know that the @ and the " key are different on a pc keyboard, i didnt till tonight, LOL ;)

I think that's a British vs. American keyboard layout thing... Unless the keys on your Mac keyboard got drunk and re-arranged themselves. :D

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Heh, you got lucky!

I did that to a laptop keyboard once...

It did work after, but was never quite the same.

hardon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
you made me chuckle :)

so i thought id reply to your post,

i tried the american layout and it doesn't work so beware all drunkards, keep yur drink well away from ur keyboard.

mmmmm these PC keys are so spongy, LOL

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
Get something small and flat like a flathead screwdriver and *gently* pop the arrow keys off, wipe away what wine you can see with a barely damp paper towel or q-tip. Probably won't change anything, but it's worth a shot, and maybe you'll see some wine where you wouldn't have expected it and get the thing working. Good luck.

krimson

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by ebow
Unless the keys on your Mac keyboard got drunk and re-arranged themselves. :D

I felt the need to say that re-arranging the keys on your supervisors keyboard may be a funny apr 1 joke, but in the end, it may backfire. :D

(i had no letter keys the week after, and I had to go on a treasure hunt to get all my keys back) :)

hardon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
LOL .. ill try that.

wow im pissed :D hehe

mmm these PC keys are spongy, like my birds tits?? ........damn has she had an implant??

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
For those who are interested, if this happens in the future, the proper thing to do is to immediately unplug the keyboard and rinse it with water. Sugar (even that in wine) can easily wreak havoc with electronics, and it is very important to get it out of there ASAP. Once the keyboard has been rinsed out (don't over do it, as water can do damage, too, just not as much as sugar can), let the keyboard dry. You can do this by just letting it sit, or using compressed air, or any other basic method. Only once it's dried out should it be plugged back in.

BlueMars

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2003
I spilled a can of coke into my PC keyboard at the office one day. When everyone had gone home, I took the keyboard, and ran it under a tap, and let it dry overnight. The keyboard worked without a hitch after that.
I'm not sure how eager I would be to do this to my own keyboard at home, but it did do the trick.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I've heard u can actually submerge your keyboard in a bathtub to clean it, and as long as u let it fully airdry it should be fine.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I spilled half a can of beer on an old pc laptop of mine once. I layed it keyboard-down on a bunch of paper towels for about 24 hours. When it was dry, it worked OK again (never used any water.)

A few years ago, I spilled OJ on a keyboard from my desktop -- there was nothing to be done in that case though, had to buy a new one, once the OJ dried it was hopeless.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
My brothers business was broken in one night, and they put the 22" cinema display in a garbage bag and set it outside. The burglar was disturbed and left it to get it back later that night. Then it started to rain.... The thing was soaking wet. My brother found the display and let all the water run out and put the display in the airconditioning room of the building. The next day he could hook it up again and it was running again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.