Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
OK, the price starts at $280 but it is beautiful. Meant to be used clipped on all the time.

I'm just concerned about the heat dissipation when my fans start.

Love to hear from people once they receive their cases.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
I'm planning to order one as soon as I figure the difference between the two models. One starts at $280 the other at $300. I'm assuming it's the materials being used but it really isn't clear. If anyone finds the answer let me know.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
It looks like the $300 model is a different leather.

My big concern is ventilation. There are no vent holes in the bottom, I can only assume (since they do not show an image of the inside w/o the MBA in it) that there is some sort of indented path leading to the hinge in the back to allow air to flow.

Let me know once you get it and see if you have over-heating problems.

shrtmkr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
the apple
It looks like the $300 model is a different leather.

My big concern is ventilation. There are no vent holes in the bottom, I can only assume (since they do not show an image of the inside w/o the MBA in it) that there is some sort of indented path leading to the hinge in the back to allow air to flow.

Let me know once you get it and see if you have over-heating problems.

Actually it does have something for the ventilation, that aluminum mesh covers the fan area

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
agreed.. beautiful but very expensive. For a college student like me, this case is impractical but If I have money to spare, I will definitely buy one of these. They look so gorgeous:D

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2006
I just emailed them to ask what the difference between the two types are. I'll wait for the response and then post what they said here.

And yea, I am going off to college and will def take save up some money from my summer job to buy this.

brudy

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
That does look very cool, but share the ventilation concerns. Does the MBA dissipate any heat through the bottom? On the other hand, maybe the suit would keep my legs from toasting up...

Has anybody ordered the vaja messenger slim? I'm on the fence about it. I love these vertical bags, but kind of need to be able to stuff a book in there as well for it to be practical for me. I rarely just take only my laptop; I always have a book, my work badge, moleskin, phone, etc...man bag type of stuff.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Very, very tempted to get one! As the MBA fulfils all my needs (bar HDD size) as my on the move computer I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon, so getting one of the Vaja cases is a definite possibility - heat issues aside.

But... what colours? All black, but with a white interior? Colours? Any ideas?

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Did anybody buy this then? If so what colors and what about the heat issues?

Are they heavier than say seethru in terms of the added weight to the air?

saisrujan

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Hmm... looking at the pictures, the mesh was labeled as a "grip", not a ventilator. So, I am not sure if the mesh lets air pass through, or if it is just a rough texture for the grip.

1. MBA does have heating problems, and we're lucky to have an Aluminum outer casing, as it helps a LOT in dissipating the heat. Any other non-metallic material like plastic or leather would have rendered the MBA useless or any serious tasks. Having a leather outer-casing is probably not advisable.
  2. Durability of high-quality leather is very much dependent on its operating conditions. Exposure to heat will affect the up-keep of leather. I can't find any official sources that confirm this, but long term exposure to heat would surely have adverse effect on leather.

At least, they do mention this in their leather care section on what to do if their case gets wet:

... Allow it to dry slowly and naturally at room temperature, avoiding direct heat (hot air vents, radiators, furnaces, air dryers) or sunlight. ...

How many of you agree that a hot MBA is a source of "direct heat"? At least my lap definitely agrees.

I personally wouldn't buy this case, but before you buy, you should mail Vaja and ask them for an official word on what their observations were with heating issues on MBA with their leather case on, and if this case is designed to dissipate the heat at the same rate as a naked MBA does, and what effect would long term exposure to temperatures over 60 C would have on their leather.

And I bet Vaja would take the same stand as Apple does. They are "not aware" of any heating issues. [;)]

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
How many of you agree that a hot MBA is a source of "direct heat"? At least my lap definitely agrees.

Oh yeah! As long as I don't stress my MBA, web surfing, MS Office etc then it's fine. The minute I go to mpg4 video and Adobe Lightroom etc it starts to heat up and soon the fans kick in.

I'm in no rush to buy any case that obstructs the ventilation until it's confirmed by a 3rd party that it doesn't heat up any more. The Vaja looks nice but form has to follow function.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
After looking at the installation instructions I dont know how secure it will be. I would also like to see a review.

As far as heat, the vent is provided with a mesh opening and the leather will probably make the heat of the Air less noticeable.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
I just ordered this and will test once received. Understand everyone's concerns and share that to some extent but looking over the design I don't think we will have a problem. I'll do some temp testing and report my findings.

BTW, as for colors..... guess I'm not as adventurous as some. I picked a dark brown exterior and trim with black interior.

One other item. The two options are for the type of leather used. The more expensive model uses a type called "Floater". This is a much more robust material, good for everyday use. Since mine is not one I tote around all day every day I went with the smoother "Caterina". I have this same material in my Vaja cell phone case and think it will be fine.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
I just ordered this and will test once received. Understand everyone's concerns and share that to some extent but looking over the design I don't think we will have a problem. I'll do some temp testing and report my findings.

BTW, as for colors..... guess I'm not as adventurous as some. I picked a dark brown exterior and trim with black interior.

Great! Colors sound fine, If I get one it will be black, maybe with some blue or red accents.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Canada

One other item. The two options are for the type of leather used. The more expensive model uses a type called "Floater". This is a much more robust material, good for everyday use. Since mine is not one I tote around all day every day I went with the smoother "Caterina". I have this same material in my Vaja cell phone case and think it will be fine.

Looking forward to your review!

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007

Looking forward to what you think about it :D

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
[*]Durability of high-quality leather is very much dependent on its operating conditions. Exposure to heat will affect the up-keep of leather. I can't find any official sources that confirm this, but long term exposure to heat would surely have adverse effect on leather.
[;)]

Leather holds up fine in the heat. If you don't think so, I invite you to look at the leather seats in 8 year old car that sits in the Houston Texas sun every day and bakes to about 180 degrees.

The metal mesh is lined up with the air vents on the laptop. The difference on the two models is the leather.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I would be interested in knowing how airport security would handle the case. Are they going to make you take the case off before the laptop is x-rayed? It looks like its not really designed to be taken on and off quickly so I would not want to take it off. I suppose it might depend of the security people your dealing with.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
My leather suit for my air just showed up yesterday. I have to say, I'm very impressed. The fit is outstanding. The leather and workmanship are also but you are paying for it. The air vents in the back are not covered, the case hinge is there and lets plenty of air through...

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Compare to Seethru how heavy would you say it is?

My leather suit for my air just showed up yesterday. I have to say, I'm very impressed. The fit is outstanding. The leather and workmanship are also but you are paying for it. The air vents in the back are not covered, the case hinge is there and lets plenty of air through...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.