Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jammy1254

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Hey peeps,

I'm going to be starting a Web Design degree in September and wondered whether a Mac Mini with the following specification(2GHz, 3.3GB RAM, 160HDD)would be alright for use with applications such as Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop etc...

Thanks in advance for your help.

J:apple:

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I think it would be plenty sufficient, personally.

I had a 2.0Ghz Macbook with 3GB of ram that ran CS3 with little trouble. I use a 2.16/3GB Macbook setup at work everyday as well (at a digital design company).

In fact, I've been thinking about picking up the same Mini setup to replace the Macbook I sold (possibly along with a MBA) but I've been holding off to see if anything happens with a new Mini or possibly an aluminum Macbook before making a decision.

Jammy1254

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I think it would be plenty sufficient, personally.

I had a 2.0Ghz Macbook with 3GB of ram that ran CS3 with little trouble. I use a 2.16/3GB Macbook setup at work everyday as well (at a digital design company).

In fact, I've been thinking about picking up the same Mini setup to replace the Macbook I sold (possibly along with a MBA) but I've been holding off to see if anything happens with a new Mini or possibly an aluminum Macbook before making a decision.

Ah yeah im in the same position. I was hoping that something may happen with the Mini during the keynote yesterday :(.

Thanks for the help!

J

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
when i use Photoshop CS3 on my MBP (specs in sig) the fans start to rev up and it gets pretty hot. you may wont to consider an iMac instead of the Mini which has a faster and better (for the moment) CPU and a dedicated graphics card. this is just my opinion though.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
when i use Photoshop CS3 on my MBP (specs in sig) the fans start to rev up and it gets pretty hot. you may wont to consider an iMac instead of the Mini which has a faster and better (for the moment) CPU and a dedicated graphics card. this is just my opinion though.

I'd actually vouch for this. I too do Web Development (as a uni student) and use photoshop quite a bit. My current MBP gets very hot and loud while doing photoshop stuff with relatively small files....one of the reasons I'm looking into a Mac Pro :)

Bad Paper

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
graphite clamshell
I'm going to be starting a Web Design degree in September and wondered whether a Mac Mini with the following specification(2GHz, 3.3GB RAM, 160HDD)would be alright for use with applications such as Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop etc...
I have a friend who runs his very successful design business on an old single-core Mini. Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, M$ Office, and he runs Parallels to check his web designs in Windows flavors of all the browsers. He has had no problems with his machine at all.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005

At the moment, PS doesn't utilize much of the graphics card. They're moving toward more usage in CS4, but for the moment, it shouldn't make much difference.

Ideally, I'd love to see the Mini get bumped to Penryn soon so I can slap 4GB in it.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
you may wont to consider an iMac instead of the Mini which has a faster and better (for the moment) CPU and a dedicated graphics card.

At the moment, PS doesn't utilize much of the graphics card. They're moving toward more usage in CS4, but for the moment, it shouldn't make much difference.

Indeed, the biggest issue about the iMac, and its Achilles heel, is the glossy screen, which makes critical image work difficult. As PSCS3 does not leverage the gpu for 99% of its abilities, the Mini with a nice matte display would probably be the better route.

adrianjt

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2005
hi

imo the issue is ram not cpu speed - a c2d 2ghz with 4mb cache rates 2594 on http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/ a g5 2.7 rates 2244, photoshop/illustrator/indesign/etc gobble ram, really you need 4gb min

a refurb 2ghz imac alum (128mb vram) is about the same price (maybe a little more) and youve got dedicated graphics, mini dvi out - for a proper screen, fw800, 3.5" hard drive, also consider a refurb macbook - also 4gb ram, better on board graphics than the mini

or wait for the next mini - its gotta be soon

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Cave Man said:
Indeed, the biggest issue about the iMac, and its Achilles heel, is the glossy screen, which makes critical image work difficult. As PSCS3 does not leverage the gpu for 99% of its abilities, the Mini with a nice matte display would probably be the better route.

For uni i need to use photoshop often, and my MacBook handles it fine (C2D 2.0GHz, 3.3GB RAM). A similar spec Mac Mini with a BIG display will be perfect for you as far as pricing goes.

But I, like the rest of MacRumors, would advise you wait for the new one...along with me, and the rest of MacRumors.........

GAH! Why won't they release Mac Mini. A FASTER, CHEAPER one...GAH! How can they leave it unupdated (processor bump doesn't count) in soooo long. /end RANT

Cave Man

macrumors 604
GAH! Why won't they release Mac Mini. A FASTER, CHEAPER one...GAH! How can they leave it unupdated (processor bump doesn't count) in soooo long. /end RANT

I tired of waiting, thus I went the hackintosh route (3.2 ghz quad core mid-tower, 256 mb 8600GT, 2x750 gig HD, 4 gb RAM, 3x eSATA, 6x USB2, semifunctional FW400, retail copy of 10.5.2) for US$1,000. Geekbench score of 6157. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.