PDA

View Full Version : iBook 700mhz G3 won't boot up

Auryn
Jun 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
Good morning,

Here is my problem in as much detail as I have at the moment:

The problem started when I was in textedit (the only app running) and it started to freeze when I attempted to open a new application. I barely got it to unfreeze (by force quitting and such) so I could save my work and restart. My ibook never started up again (which was last week).

I have tried:

Booting in safemode (holding down shift at the start) which doesn't work

I zapped the pram (holding down cmd-ctrl-p-r) which I have tried again and no longer works

I cannot boot from an os x cd only from an os 9 cd (holding c at startup) and it does not see my hard-drive when I try to use the disk repair.

I can hold down option and I get the disk select screen, but I still cannot boot from a os x cd. (The discs I have tried is a retail Tiger dvd, I have a combo drive, and the 10.2 cd that came with my ibook)

I do not get a question mark or a sad mac icon when I start up normally, it is just a grey screen sometimes with the apple logo but most times not. When I attempt to start from an os x cd or dvd I get the apple logo with the spinning loading screen but that is as far as it goes, I have left it "loading" for hours and it goes no where.

I am wondering if it is a problem with the hard drive or the logic board. Is there a way I could disconnect the hard drive and still load from a cd? (if so how?) Is there a test I could do to find out what exactly went wrong? Is there something else I can try?

The only other detail I think might be worth mentioning is that previously to this I had the ibook on over several nights on sleep mode on my desk. It didn't seem to get over heated or have any problems running the next morning until this happened.

Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to ask more questions if that helps.

Thank-you,

Tabby B

iBook Dual usb 700mhz Combo drive Mac OS X (10.4.11) I think it is running 10.4.11, it is running tiger but not sure if it is the highest version.

Makosuke
Jun 10, 2008, 08:11 PM
Since it will boot from an OS9 CD but stalls when trying with an OSX CD, it does sound like the hard drive is dying, and while OS9 just overlooks it entirely OSX hangs on whatever is wrong.

You could probably test this by putting in an OSX CD and booting in verbose mode--hold down command and V. Instead of the spinning thing you should get a bunch of Unix text; whatever is last when it stops working would hint as to what the problem is.

Assuming it is the hard drive and not the drive controller (in which case you'd need a new logic board), it can be replaced (yourself if you're not afraid of a lot of tiny screws, or you can pay someone to do it). You could disconnect the drive and just boot from the CD, but that wouldn't really tell you much, and it would also probably involve dismantling and partially reassembling the computer twice, which is annoying at minimum.

Question: Have you tried running the special hardware test disc that came with it? If not, that may well tell you what's wrong (and it will usually complete booting no matter what's wrong). If you've lost it maybe track down somebody else with the same model (I don't think Apple offers downloads of those).

Auryn
Jul 9, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hello all,

I appreciate all of your assistance and advice. I actually gave up on saving my poor iBook about 2 weeks ago. Nothing I did seemed to work and my only conclusion was that the logic board was fried. As I needed some kind of replacement for school I decided to look locally for a new laptop, I found a Blueberry clamshell for $50. As I was looking for software and firmware updates for it I stumbled upon Apple Hardware Test Images. It wouldn't work for my newly purchased ibook but it did list my old ibook. I decided to burn a disc and try it out. All the hardware came up clean with no problems. I thought that was strange, but I restarted anyway thinking if there isn't any problems it should start up just fine. Well it did start up. I was shocked. I immediately put in OS X 10.2 install CDs and erased the HD while installing the operating system. It now appears to work perfectly with no signs of any problems.

The main reason I am posting this is for people to know they do not have to go and buy the Hardware Test Cds off Ebay or another source. They can simply download them at this url: http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

I hope this will help someone in the future.

Thank-you again,

Tabby B

fogburst
Dec 11, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hello all,

I appreciate all of your assistance and advice. I actually gave up on saving my poor iBook about 2 weeks ago. Nothing I did seemed to work and my only conclusion was that the logic board was fried. Apple Hardware Test Images,,,. All the hardware came up clean with no problems. ...= Tabby B

I have an iBook which does this exact stall at the grey Apple logo screen and nothing I try works. I had just clean erased and installed Mac OSX 10.4.6 and was updating to 10.4.11 when it froze and rebooting never gets past the grey Apple logo screen. Yet Disk Utility repaired all the permissions and checked out the drive OK. So did the Apple Hardware test Quick and Slow -everything checked out OK!

Is there any explanation for this mysterious hangup and a solution? Googling doesnt find one for me. Here's my complete efforts so far following the suggestions here:

iBook Dual usb 700mhz Combo drive Mac OS X (10.4.11) I think it is running 10.4.11, it is running tiger but not sure if it is the highest version. Same here but 600 Mhz Mac Airport Serial MC2020507487 8 MB Vram 364 MB Ram 2USB Firewire OSX 10.4.6 which jammed while updating to 11. after a Clean erase and install of Mac OSX 10.4.6. Now it wont get past the grey Apple logo screen no way no how. Nothing works!!

Booting in safemode (holding down shift at the start) which doesn't work-
Doesnt work for me either - wouldnt do it and then finally when it did I zapped ten times with no effect.

I zapped the pram (holding down cmd-ctrl-p-r) which I have tried again and no longer works
Doesnt work at all for me,

I can hold down option and I get the disk select screen, but I still cannot boot from a os x cd. (The discs I have tried is a retail Tiger dvd, I have a combo drive, and the 10.2 cd that came with my ibook)

Me too I can get the disk select screen but also mine will boot from the MacOSX cd. Disk Utility runs both ways permissions and Disk repair OK!.

I do not get a question mark or a sad mac icon when I start up normally, it is just a grey screen sometimes with the apple logo but most times not.
Same here but always Apple logo.

When I attempt to start from an os x cd or dvd I get the apple logo with the spinning loading screen but that is as far as it goes, I have left it "loading" for hours and it goes no where.
Same here without the spinning wheel.

Since it will boot from an OS9 CD but stalls when trying with an OSX CD, it does sound like the hard drive is dying, and while OS9 just overlooks it entirely OSX hangs on whatever is wrong.
My drive worked OK in OS9 till now. Recently I lost access to Mac OSX 10/4/6 for some unknown reason so I got it to start in OS9.2.2 to take off the data. This is why I was clean erasing and reinstalling the disk. Did it once with no problems at all but for unrelated reason (to see if Mac OSX 10.3 would be faster than OSX 4 on this machine) decided to do it twice

You could probably test this by putting in an OSX CD and booting in verbose mode--hold down command and V. Instead of the spinning thing you should get a bunch of Unix text; whatever it lists when it stops working would hint as to what the problem is.
Mine won't boot in verbose mode with OSX CD.

]Assuming it is the hard drive and not the drive controller (in which case you'd need a new logic board), it can be replaced (yourself if you're not afraid of a lot of tiny screws, or you can pay someone to do it)
So I an average tinkerer can replace the drive! Good to know

Question: Have you tried running the special hardware test disc that came with it? If not, that may well tell you what's wrong (and it will usually complete booting no matter what's wrong). If you've lost it maybe track down somebody else with the same model (I don't think Apple offers downloads of those).
I have an Apple hardware test disk so I tried it. It loads. Quick test: Airport Passed.Logic board passed. Mass Storage passed. Memory passed. Video RAM passed. Extended test: Same thing everything Everything passed.

The only variation on the grey Apple logo screen stuck forever is that now suddenly after the Apple hardware Test passed it in every respect it eventually changed the Apple logo screen into a mess of text on a grey screen over a dark rectangle with a logo in the middle like a smiley face but possible a complete circle for a smile, with a horizontal bar and a vertical bar in the middle north from the center. The text ends with a kernel panic We are hanging here notification. So I assume the notice obscured is You have to restart your computer.
I did so and the Apple Grey Screen with Logo as usual and
stuck in it.

Guess the kernel panic indicates I must have a hardware problem since the clean erase twice didn't work. But the hardware tests check it out as OK.
Guess I have to buy a new drive and get it in there despite the tiny screws, or is this stupid for an average user to try?

OK a clean erase and install of MacOSX 10.4 from a Tiger disk worked so fingers crossed this should work OK till I get a new drive in it.