PDA

View Full Version : So, about the WWDC invitation

wchong
Jun 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
could anyone explain why there were two bridges?

Tallest Skil
Jun 10, 2008, 09:24 AM
One for the iPhone, the other for the iPhone SDK.

What, you thought that Apple still cared about Macs?

wchong
Jun 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
One for the iPhone, the other for the iPhone SDK.

What, you thought that Apple still cared about Macs?

i would've thought the iphone + the sdk would be on the same bridge.

Tallest Skil
Jun 10, 2008, 09:28 AM
i would've thought the iphone + the sdk would be on the same bridge.

I would have thought that Apple still cared about making computers.

Guess we were both wrong.

wchong
Jun 10, 2008, 09:37 AM
I would have thought that Apple still cared about making computers.

Guess we were both wrong.

ever since ipod hit the market they have been more concerned with that market. most of their revenue (correct me if i'm wrong) comes from ipod sales.

Tallest Skil
Jun 10, 2008, 09:40 AM
Most of their revenue (correct me if i'm wrong) comes from ipod sales.

Nope, Macs still make more money.

tytanic11
Jun 10, 2008, 10:07 AM
Nope, Macs still make more money.

Macs are still a higher profit margin and responsible for more revenue - but the iPod/iPhone lines introduce customers to Apple as a company. People who buy Apple's devices are more likely to buy a Mac later, so they are still important even if they don't make much revenue.

Benjamindaines
Jun 10, 2008, 10:28 AM
Macs are still a higher profit margin and responsible for more revenue - but the iPod/iPhone lines introduce customers to Apple as a company. People who buy Apple's devices are more likely to buy a Mac later, so they are still important even if they don't make much revenue.

I think it's more that Apple realized that in order to make money off the iPod they would have to make it too expensive for most people. When the iPod was released in 2001 it cost $500, and everyone bitched about it being too expensive. So Apple has changed their approach to selling the iPod for as cheap as possible while still making a little bit of money; this way they sell a lot more so their profits are higher than if they sold the iPod to make money. Ya follow?

The Mac on the other hand is still priced to be the cash cow.

wchong
Jun 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
I think it's more that Apple realized that in order to make money off the iPod they would have to make it too expensive for most people. When the iPod was released in 2001 it cost $500, and everyone bitched about it being too expensive. So Apple has changed their approach to selling the iPod for as cheap as possible while still making a little bit of money; this way they sell a lot more so their profits are higher than if they sold the iPod to make money. Ya follow?

The Mac on the other hand is still priced to be the cash cow.

so aren't you supposed to keep the cow happy?

an overheating cow is not happy; a cow needs to be dressed (case redesign?) to be happy; a slow cow is not happy; a cow that can't process graphics good enough is not happy, she may confuse her own poop for grass.

damn mac, they are sadomasochists.

squeeks
Jun 10, 2008, 10:33 AM
could anyone explain why there were two bridges?

could you explain why you posted this question in the macbook pro forum?

Benjamindaines
Jun 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
so aren't you supposed to keep the cow happy?

an overheating cow is not happy; a cow needs to be dressed (case redesign?) to be happy; a slow cow is not happy; a cow that can't process graphics good enough is not happy, she may confuse her own poop for grass.

damn mac, they are sadomasochists.

I never said it couldn't use an update ;)

wchong
Jun 10, 2008, 10:38 AM
could you explain why you posted this question in the macbook pro forum?

well many people thought that the first bridge was for iphone +SDK and the second bridge for mac hardware updates.

alphaod
Jun 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
When Apple changed their name from Apple Computer to just Apple it was when they cared more about iPods and iPhones than the computer.