PDA

View Full Version : The iPhone 3G is great, but is it “lineworthy” good?

MacBytes
Jun 10, 2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The iPhone 3G is great, but is it “lineworthy” good? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080610121149)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

todavidjensen
Jun 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone. Its an incredible device. However, I am severely disappointed at the cost of the data plan. I for one have no interest in a plan that costs almost as much as the high speed internet for my home. In reality I would web browse 1-2x per day from the iPhone. So is it worth the extra $30 a month to have that? Probably not. Especially with gas prices sooo high. I'm worried about the economy and little luxuries like internet data plans are things that I can do without. If it means no iPhone, well then so be it.

crazedbytheheat
Jun 10, 2008, 01:07 PM
In a word, "yes". 3G + GPS? Those were the features I was prepared to pay up to $500 for. For a mere $300 (16 GB) you bet I'll be standing in line on 7/11.

Anyone want to buy a uses, but well maintained iPhone 1.0? Two coming soon to eBay (my wife wants 3G as well).

velocityg4
Jun 10, 2008, 01:21 PM
Maybe if 3g here was like the touted 3g in Australia. Isn't it up to some insane speed like 45mbps?

Anyways at $30 it better be truly unlimited so that I could hook up my computer or home network and watch HD video 24/7.

What is the worst is having to sign up in store, penalties for not activating and that they raised prices but cut Apple out of monthly service percentage. Either AT&T actually strongarmed Steve or they offered Apple one heck of a deal to not unlock their phones.

JRBTempe
Jun 10, 2008, 01:29 PM
Will probably be skipping the line this time around... I did my time on June 29 of last year, 6 hours in front of my local AT&T store with a group of like-minded Apple fanboys. My bet is, you'll be able to walk into a store that weekend and still get them. ;)

I'm a little dismayed about the lengths that AT&T is going to lock this sucker down... I've always hated in-store activation which is one of the things that made the original iPhone so special. Wait for hours in line and then suffer through all those activations too? No thank you...

jav6454
Jun 10, 2008, 02:54 PM
I like the new phone, its just AT&T unbelieveably found the way to mess it up. Ok here is why:

1. Why should we have that nasty in-store activation? That seriously was a hype as you could do the whole thing from the comfort of your home. People loved that. Its a lame excuse what they say to prevent unlocking. They should just implement a system by which AT&T can know what iPhones are activated and which not and then implement the penalties on those not activated within a timeframe. Its fair and keeps us the users away from the stores which we sometimes dread.

2. Data plan, this is a big issue. $30 + $39.99 is an outraging $69.99 which not all of us can afford. Its like having an extra Internet service. The current plan rate was fine, its just AT&T wants to charge us more.

=========

Well as per the new phone, I'm slipping this one. Not worth it as I dont need 3G since I'm blessed by Wi-Fi at work or home and EDGE has proven fast enough for my needs.

Well this is just my opinion on things right now. Once Data comes down to $25-20 I'll rethink things though I doubt AT&T will lower the price

ChrisN
Jun 10, 2008, 03:21 PM
I waited in line day one for the 1st gen iphone so if i manage to scrape together 200 dollars by July 11 i will definitely wait in line. I just don't know what to do with the original iPhone, sell it or keep it?

Col127
Jun 10, 2008, 04:24 PM
do you guys know if there's voice dialing on the new 3g iphone? i know the original didn't have it...

macFanDave
Jun 10, 2008, 05:14 PM
For the wife, the answer is "slam-dunk absolutely!" The reason is three letters:

GPS

She is the worst navigator EVAR! I can't tell you how many times I have had to be her personal TomTom or Nuvi because she can't follow even simple directions in the town where's she's lived for 15 years. If the announcement that TomTom is already iPhone-compatible pans out, then I'm there on Day One getting her one.

As for me, the iPhone 3G looks very impressive, but I can probably hold out for a while until I'll get my own.

Klaxons2012
Jun 10, 2008, 06:27 PM
I'll be lining up for this, but for a more spiritual reason. I was recently robbed at knifepoint because I pulled my iPhone out in the wrong neighborhood. For awhile I was adamant about getting a cheapo candybar phone and calling it a day. The iPhone 3G and it's capability really struck a nerve for me. Being a community college student interested in transferring to Georgetown University, it was encouraging to hear that Georgetown will have apps available for students in the future.

So to get over everything that happened and get the phone I've been waiting for, i'm going to get it day one.

batchtaster
Jun 10, 2008, 09:07 PM
Maybe if 3g here was like the touted 3g in Australia. Isn't it up to some insane speed like 45mbps?

Don't be too impressed. That's only on Telstra, Australia's larger telco that's notably absent from Apple's announcement (http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/buy/), and the one responsible for the "stick to your knitting (http://www.google.com/search?q=Telstra+knitting)" remark about the first-gen iPhone. As we're all aware, Steve Jobs isn't even slightly known for his temper or for punishing slights against Apple.

I don't wait in line for anything.

I do, however, like the fact that Australia (and New Zealand) will technically get the new iPhone before the US and most other countries. :)

What I'm not so impressed about with the new model is the absence of front-mounted camera for video calls and video chat using the (non-existent) iChat/IM client.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 10, 2008, 10:41 PM

3G from Telstra (NextG) in Australia is crap. It's the biggest marketing con, it hardly works, has terrible coverage and is completely overpriced for the overrated service.

supmango
Jun 10, 2008, 11:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone. Its an incredible device. However, I am severely disappointed at the cost of the data plan. I for one have no interest in a plan that costs almost as much as the high speed internet for my home. In reality I would web browse 1-2x per day from the iPhone. So is it worth the extra $30 a month to have that? Probably not. Especially with gas prices sooo high. I'm worried about the economy and little luxuries like internet data plans are things that I can do without. If it means no iPhone, well then so be it.

I could not agree more. I already sent emails to people at AT&T and let them know that this is absurd. Basically my entire family uses AT&T and has for years (even through all of the mergers) and this has caused all of us to reconsider our loyalty to the company that seems to be oblivious to the current economic times. I know they stated that they are making no money on the current plans (until 2010), but come on. No one can really be expected to believe that any major corporation is out to do ANYTHING except make money at any cost, even if that means ripping the public off and making them feel good about it (with their rediculous claims about not making money) at the same time.

madmaxmedia
Jun 11, 2008, 12:04 AM
I'm with you there on the cost. But if you don't really need 3G data, then why even get a 3G iPhone?

Sooner or later I will probably end up with an iPhone, but for now I actually prefer a regular dumbphone and an iPod touch.

teknikal90
Jun 11, 2008, 02:14 AM
all telcos are anal.

mainstreetmark
Jun 11, 2008, 07:15 AM
I'm with you there on the cost. But if you don't really need 3G data, then why even get a 3G iPhone?

Sooner or later I will probably end up with an iPhone, but for now I actually prefer a regular dumbphone and an iPod touch.

Really? The "iPod" is the most disappointing thing about the iPhone in my opinion. I've ranted about it several times, but most importantly, the lack of a clickwheel feature for scrolling makes the iPod part very difficult to effectively use with things like podcasts, where you want to track through the songs. Also, the coverflow coverflows the whole collection versus the playlist, like iTunes does.

I don't recommend the Touch to anybody. I recommend the iPohne to everybody.

macFanDave
Jun 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
Don't be too impressed. That's only on Telstra, Australia's larger telco that's notably absent from Apple's announcement (http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/buy/), and the one responsible for the "stick to your knitting (http://www.google.com/search?q=Telstra+knitting)" remark about the first-gen iPhone. As we're all aware, Steve Jobs isn't even slightly known for his temper or for punishing slights against Apple.

I don't wait in line for anything.

Y'know, I used to feel that way, too, but waiting in line at the Apple Store has been a lot of fun when I've done it. It's great to be with other Apple fans -- we get to talk about what we do with our Macs, our problems and solutions. It's not like waiting with competitors for Tickle-Me-Elmo; it's more like a party for people who are interested in what I like. I'm assuming an iPhone gathering at an Apple Store would be similar.