PDA

View Full Version : Questions, Clamshell ibook

rabbel
Jun 10, 2008, 11:45 AM
I've never been a fan of apple products until I found this, http://lowendmac.com/myturn/0803my/nygren-clamshell-ibook.html

After reading it I researched the specific model and I discovered the clamshell series. I'm in love, I want them all.

As a first time mac user though, I don't really know what I can do with this notebook. I'm interested in buying one of the original ibooks in tangerine or blueberry, just because they match my bedroom and to me that in itself is a great reason to invest in one.

I read however that they can be expensive and nearly impossibe to update, is this true? I want to be able to hook up my webcam/mic headset to it, watch dvds, hook up my cameras USB to it..etc.

Are these things possible?
And where can I buy one?

Thank you in advanced for any information/thoughts you can provide,

Matt

edit: one more question that might seem really really really stupid but is there any way to install windows XP or vista on a clamshell? - please don't burn me, just not used to mac-stuff!

irchriscdk
Jun 10, 2008, 09:30 PM
The clamshell iBooks are fairly old and do not run Intel processors so that means definitely no windows.

However, if you are just looking for something to surf the internet with, check email, and do basic word processing a clamshell will work just fine for you. However it will probably ship with an outdated operating system like OS 8 or 9 which means you will hit a lot of snags if you want to use it for itunes or install any newer software on it...

Oh, and you can buy them on Ebay - but not new since they have been discontinued by Apple for quite some time now (they came out some time in the late 90s actually).

mBurns
Jun 10, 2008, 10:51 PM
I used to own a Clamshell. Reading your post, you will definitely be disappointed. Using third-party software, you can run an iSight (Apple webcam) through a Clamshell but it can lag since all Clamshell processors are too slow to be "officially" supported. You won't be able to run Vista or XP. You may be able to run 98 or 2000 via VPC though... I never tried because the machine is a G3. Also, basic word processing and email is fine on Clamshells except the max. resolution is 800x600 so it can get very cramped. If you can't deal with a cramped screen, don't consider a Clamshell. You will not be able to run the newest version of Microsoft Office nor probobably Office '04 due to screen resolution requirements. That being said, I have heard of one person running '04 successfully but I just stuck with the version of office ('03?) that preceded '04. Neither a blueberry nor tangerine iBook (unless upgraded with a new logic board which would require case mods) can play DVDs. The only models that can play DVDs are 466 Mhz Graphite and Key Lime flavors. Hence, although I absolutely loved having a Clamshell, they are past their prime and if you're expecting a fast, speedy experience think again. You won't be able to run Leopard, the video card is a puny 8 Mb on the highest end model, and you're going to be stuck with older (but still good) software. Buying a Clamshell may not be the best way to start off your OS X experience, especially if you're used to current software and hardware. All upgrades are also extremely expensive for Clamshells... 512 RAM modules aren't cheap, AirPort cards aren't cheap considering age, and to find a Clamshell in perfect aesthetic condition can be a pretty penny. Think long and hard about whether you're interested in one. I'd be glad to answer any questions as a recent owner of a 466 Mhz Clamshell that ran Tiger and was loaded to the gills.