PDA

View Full Version : Second hand Powerbook G4 can't update?

joebhoy
Jun 10, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hi

I got a powerbook G4 and I'm new to using them but just started getting the hang of it but I have a big problem I can't update anything because I need to put in a password but I haven't got it.

Is there anything I can do?

robbieduncan
Jun 10, 2008, 02:07 PM
Use the system restore CD/DVD to reset the password?

iToaster
Jun 10, 2008, 02:11 PM
If you don't have the restore disks, use this (http://hackaddict.blogspot.com/2007/07/reset-os-x-password-without-os-x-cd.html) process.

joebhoy
Jun 10, 2008, 02:51 PM
If you don't have the restore disks, use this (http://hackaddict.blogspot.com/2007/07/reset-os-x-password-without-os-x-cd.html) process.

Would you mind talking me through this please?

I rebooted then when I put in mount-um/ I hit enter to go on the next line but it came up something like unkown command prompt.

I didn't get any disks with it just a camera and charger. I can't update anything.

merl1n
Jun 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
Would you mind talking me through this please?

I rebooted then when I put in mount-um/ I hit enter to go on the next line but it came up something like unkown command prompt.

I didn't get any disks with it just a camera and charger. I can't update anything.

The command you typed is wrong. You left out space characters and the wrong character.

It should be:

mount -uw /

merl1n
Jun 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hi

I got a powerbook G4 and I'm new to using them but just started getting the hang of it but I have a big problem I can't update anything because I need to put in a password but I haven't got it.

Is there anything I can do?

Something smells fishy here.

Where did you get this Mac and why don't you have the password?

The instructions you refer to are for creating a new administrator account, not just resetting the password.

If you just want to reset the password, these are not the correct instructions.

joebhoy
Jun 10, 2008, 03:40 PM
Something smells fishy here.

Where did you get this Mac and why don't you have the password?

The instructions you refer to are for creating a new administrator account, not just resetting the password.

If you just want to reset the password, these are not the correct instructions.

What you on about something smells fishy?

I wanna update my Java so I can play online poker but I can't cause I need the password I can't downlaod any updates.

When I type in mount -uw / how do I move down to the next line to put in the next part cause I can't press enter?

merl1n
Jun 11, 2008, 08:35 AM
When I type in mount -uw / how do I move down to the next line to put in the next part cause I can't press enter?

Use the "return" key.

joebhoy
Jun 12, 2008, 10:01 AM
Got it.

Thanks for the help!!!