Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Missie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I have an ipod classic 80G, and an older universal dock. Now, I know that the older universal dock doesn't have the special TV-out chip you need for the newer ipods, so my question is:

If I buy a new component AV cable that DOES have the tv-out chip, can I use it with the dock and have the tv-out work? Or do I need to buy a new dock as well?

Because that would suck.

Missie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks for your reply.

Here's one more question: I've heard conflicting stories on whether or not the opposite route will work, IE, new dock+old composite (V/R/L) cable. I've heard that the iPod classic won't work with a composite cord, it requires a new component (RGB/R/L)cord, but I've also heard that if the ipod is in the universal dock (containing the chip to unlock the video-out function) with an old composite cord will work.

Has anyone tried it here? Will an old composite + New dock work?

topher

macrumors member
May 1, 2004
You identify two possibilities.

The "old" composite cable has a headphone receptor on one end, and the three composite outputs on the other end. In old versions of the ipod, this would plug into the normal headphone jack, and output video.

The "new" composite cable plugs into the ipod's dock.

The "new" composite cable will work with either the old dock, or the new dock. There is also a new component cable. This will also work with either the old dock or the new dock.

If you truly would like to know whether the "old" (headphone jack) cable works with the new dock, reply to this post, and I can test it for you. If you're just curious about the difference between component and composite, the answer is: if you buy an apple component cable, or an apple composite cable, with a dock connector on one end, it should work with either dock. But, some TV's don't work with comonent cables...this is the real limitation.

JonnyBowley

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Hey guys, sorry to butt in here, but I have a similar dilemma and just wanted to check that I have understood correctly before I shell out £150!

I can buy a Marantz iPod dock, and use either the new composite or the new component cable, and I will be able to output video?

Is that right? Have I understood you correctly?

New cables + Old dock = Works fine?

Let me know, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.