Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Hey everyone,

I did some searching but couldn't seem to find my problem.

I have a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8ghz running leopard. It worked flawlessly since the day I bought it.

Then as of last week whenever I booted the computer I would get the gray screen with a black box saying to reboot the computer (in 5 different languages). I would reboot the computer. Same screen.

Is there some way to check what is wrong? Is this typically a hardware issue or an operating system?

Any help is appreciated.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Heya--it's probably not a hardware problem, don't panic. The first thing you should do is boot into single-user mode (hold down command+S after the startup chime) and run fcsk. Once that is done, type "exit" and you'll continue booting into OSX as normal. If you end up on that screen again, shut down and try booting from your OSX install disc. If you can boot from that, do an "archive/install", as likely that just means that over time the kernel ended up with an error of some sort (an archive/install won't risk any of your data, it'll just overwrite the OS). Then run the software update and you're gold, but start running regular maintenance scripts if you don't already (I use Cocktail to run most of mine), as our machines are on the older scale these days, so keeping them running in top form is even more important than it used to be...

If you get the screen while trying to boot from the OS install disc, then it might be some kind of problem with the hardware (or firmware). Again don't panic; try resetting the PRAM, and if that doesn't sort it out, I'd try removing RAM pairs, as if it IS a hardware problem, and that's a big if, it's likely either the RAM or the hdd. If it was the hdd, you likely wouldn't make it to the auto-restart screen, so it would more likely be RAM. If it does turn out to be RAM, you're in luck, as RAM for G5s has never been cheaper, so while fixing the problem you could be upgrading at the same time!

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Awesome. Thanks so much for a clear and concise answer.

I really appreciate it :)

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Clear and concise with about 3 too many "likely"s for my tastes. ;)

No problem, glad I can help. Let us know how it turns out, yeah?

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Clear and concise with about 3 too many "likely"s for my tastes. ;)

No problem, glad I can help. Let us know how it turns out, yeah?

Well I booted into that first mode but couldnt type with my keyboard. Then I tried to get the CD tray to eject so I could put in the leopard dvd to reinstall but it wouldn't open.

What am I doing wrong? :)

tuxtpenguin

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
TX
Are you using a wireless keyboard? Try holding down the mouse button while booting. This may work...not sure. I know it will eject disks on startup.

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Are you using a wireless keyboard? Try holding down the mouse button while booting. This may work...not sure. I know it will eject disks on startup.

Nope usb keyboard. I only have stock ram in it so unless that went bad I have no sticks to insert.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.