PDA

View Full Version : IE problem




suede1976
Jun 11, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hello all, I am having some problems with a home page i just designed.

http://lesleyspencer.com/

The new releases on the left appear fine in Firefox and Safari but in IE there is a huge gap between the 2 new releases. I have looked at everything and have no idea what could be causing this.

I know i should be using CSS but I am still learning it and had to use tables for this site.

Thanks for any help. I designed the site using Dreamweaver 8.



SrWebDeveloper
Jun 13, 2008, 11:24 AM
I found this row in the area holding the "Finding Joy in Living" content:


<tr valign="top"><td colspan="3" align="left" valign="middle"><div class="horRule"></div></td></tr>


The problem might be this row is NOT found in the area holding the "Moments Musicaux" just above it, the alignment is affected and each browser handles it differently since you're not using strict XHTML. I suggest removing that line (or copying it to the same position it would be in that same area just above it). The class name of "horRule" is not referenced in any embedded styles in your source, you don't have any external stylesheet being linked so this appears to be a rogue line created by your WYSIWYG editor to create a horizontal rule using CSS to affect or replace an HR tag.

No promises this is the right solution - table layouts are confusing and complex which is why we try not to use them except for tabular data.

Learning CSS and positioning div tags (separating style from content) is clearly beneficial to you in the long run as you won't have things like this happening as often, and when they do, the research and editing is far easier. On the next project, give it a go.

-jim

suede1976
Jun 13, 2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the reply.

What i did to fix the problem, was throw a table underneath this cell and give it a designated height, which then forced this cell to the top. it seems to be a good fix. also, i do have an external style sheet linked, so i am not sure why you didn;t see it. probably buried under the dreamweaver javascript at the top.

thanks for looking at this for me!!

SrWebDeveloper
Jun 16, 2008, 07:17 AM
I follow what you did but might I informally suggest you do something old school which might help your page look identical across platforms:

Insert a pixel shim in the td of that table you just added, i.e. a tiny 1 pixel transparent image set to the precise width and height in pixels you need. I only mention this because you did not say the td held content and this is a good way to float text around a table using your layout method.

-jim