Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielWalters6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
United Kingdom
I have a 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4.

When trying to bootup the computer - turn it on and wait, you can hear the familiar and comforting SuperDrive startup (presumed checking for disc) and the Apple's "doom" startup sound.

My screen then blinks on, displaying the apple logo and the loading swirl. (With the white background)

It then completely cuts out, you can hear the hard drive powerdown, then clunt, the screen drops. - And you're left with an OFF powerbook.

At first I thought it could be a battery issue (although i've not had this battery for very long) so replaced the battery - then found that I could use my powerbook without a battery, just running off the mains.

Again the same thing continues to happen, with the Mac OS attempting to start loading then just "giving up"

Because the screen works, and the hard drive seems to begin loading the Apple logo and the "loading swirl" I don't think it's a hardware issue.

I haven't installed any new software which could make this happen recently.

Is there a SAFE mode, like with Windows, or a debug mode, which would allow me to get my photographs off my PowerBook?

- Like an idiot I've not got a backup of most of them, and need to transfer them to my new MacBookPro.

(I have invested in a TimeCapsule and use it with Time Machine, which should hopefully eliminate future problems of this kind)

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Dan Walters
danielwalters6[at]hotmail.com

DanielWalters6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
United Kingdom
Additional information

When I'm holding down command V at startup, I'm getting the following message (among others)

Checking Disk;

Invalid Sibling Link
Volume Check Failed
Killing All Processes

Any closer to an answer?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The data structure of your hard drive is b0rked.

First, get your OSX boot CD/DVD, boot from that using the Command-C combination at startup. Answer the language preference screen, and then instead of going into the Installer, choose the Utilities menu at the top and pull down to Disk Utility. Do a Repair Disk on your hard drive.

Try restarting.

What happens now?

renault4

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
I would agree that this looks like a HD problem. In addition to the strategies mentioned above, you could connect your computer to another mac via a firewire cable, start your problem child in "target mode" and with some luck you might be able to see your HD enough to backup your key files. This may or may not work depending on how serious the problem with the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.