Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I've been needing an "excuse" to get an iPod and I think I found it but I have a question. Occasionally I need to transfer files between my Mac and various PC's that I use. Can I do this with an iPod? The PC's are a few years old and only have USB 1.1 connections.

A USB flash drive would satisfy my need. But like I said, it's and excuse to get an iPod. :)

Thanks much

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I don't think my parents would have much say in the matter ... I moved out almost 20 years ago. :)

I am just not familiar with the things that an iPod can be used for. Aside from being a portable music device and a firewire drive, I'm not sure what else it is designed for.

Now that I have a reason other than a music player, I might get one. In most cases folks will buy something because they have a need. In this case, I want to get an iPod and then find the need. But it's hard to that for $400.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had the impression that the Mac iPod had an HFS+ formated drive whereas the Windows had a WinFS (or whatever they're called) drive. If this is true, it would do badly in 'mixed' environments.

Then again I could be wrong and the drive in ProDOS and will thus work on both PC & Mac (with some limitations).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Originally posted by whocares
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had the impression that the Mac iPod had an HFS+ formated drive whereas the Windows had a WinFS (or whatever they're called) drive. If this is true, it would do badly in 'mixed' environments.

The Mac iPod is indeed HFS+. You could use one of the Windows ports of hfsutils to read it, I'd think:

http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/hfs/

Normally a "Windows" iPod is formatted as FAT32, but I don't think you'd want to convert your iPod if you still wanted to use it under OS X as well.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
The different formats shouldn't make a difference/cause any problems....I have never had any trouble when going between FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS formatted PCs. Same goes for NTFS to OS X. So, at least in my experiance, when it comes to removable drives, the way the hard drive is formatted shouldn't matter.

Oh, just as an FYI, WinFS is currently only used in .NET......it will be used in Longhorn when it comes out in 2015...;)

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
-pinto32

While what you say is quite true, don't there still remain some limitations when using FAT/NTFS drives in OS X (like folder settings, icons, etc)?

Also it's important to point out that a Mac iPod won't natively work on a PC (no HFS+ support). That is if I'm (still) correct.

As for the WinFS, well it was the first MS file system that came to mind :p

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
iPods do work with USB1.1 but very..slowly...

The iPod was designed to be simple and its primary function is a portable music player. If you don't want a portable music player, don't get an iPod.

The hard drive space is a beneficial extra of the iPod. But then you could get much bigger portable hard drives for the same price as an iPod.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
Mmmm Macs can read Windows (FAT16/32) Formatted ipods, well my gen2 one anyway.

As for icons and stuff, well i've got folders set with custom icons on my USB flash drive, which runs on FAT16 and that works fine...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
To have a mac formatted Ipod you will need a program on you pc that lets it recognize the HFS+ structure. There are several programs out there that do that, but none of them are free, by mine knowledge.

You can also buy a windoos Ipod and the hd is already windoos formatted. It will work on your mac with Itunes and other programmes, but you will have to hack it a bit... Look for more info on this at
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

BTW, even if you are going to use it only for music, it is worth every $!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.