PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS neglecting

MacBH928
Jun 12, 2008, 12:33 AM
Hello everyone

I would like to listen to your thought about the direction apple is taking. As you know the Keynote was only about iPhone.

This has to be the least hyped(and cared about) keynote since steve jobs returned to Apple. I didnt even know when it was going to be until I read on a videogame website that there was this 3d game for the new iphone.

The keynote when it had breakthrough inventions, and great "one more things", where original imac and imac flat panel was introduced, os x, and many great things...now we only hear about one of apple's gadgets and it is the iphone.

I do realize the apple is smart to increase its money and move into the future by not eating more of the PC market where it is hard and competitive but to go into new markets like they did with ipod and itunes. But I believe Apple is starting to neglect the computer market.

A whole keynote about iphone? its supposed to be for mac computers and a section for iphone. This clearly showed in leopard where a lot of people complained about it and it wasnt breakthrough like its previous brothers.

Apple computers and software is not bad, its just being neglected. I am afraid that Apple is no longer creating great computers that beat out other pc's. They are halting that, and concentrating on entertainment(movies & music) and other gadgets...iphone,ipod, apple tv, airport...etc.

I recall a day where people swear by their macs, people are happy and proud to run their mac computer. Now its just, i will get mac because its the next cool thing...but that iphone, thats GREAT!

Does apple not care about their core business, computing? its clear since they changed Apple computers to Appl INC.

The way I see it, apple is slowly neglecting the computer market, and moving toward entertainment and gadgets. I am afraid the day will come where we will see OS X on non apple hardware. Things arent like they used to be, and I do not see apple pushing more toward people switching to macs, but more on spreading iphone and ipod.

arn
Jun 12, 2008, 01:23 AM
This has to be the least hyped(and cared about) keynote since steve jobs returned to Apple. I didnt even know when it was going to be until I read on a videogame website that there was this 3d game for the new iphone.
Apple computers and software is not bad, its just being neglected. I am afraid that Apple is no longer creating great computers that beat out other pc's. They are halting that, and concentrating on entertainment(movies & music) and other gadgets...iphone,ipod, apple tv, airport...etc.

1. I disagree. I think this keynote was very hyped, one of the most talked about before hand. Traffic/interest at the site during the keynote was the highest ever.

2. I think what we've heard about Snow Leopard is exactly the direction Apple should be going. More substance, than style. Some people might have been happier if Apple devoted time on a flashy new interface for 10.6, but in the long run, we are going to benefit much more with the kind of performance enhancements they have described.

arn

Jaiden
Jun 28, 2008, 08:09 AM
I would say this was one of the most hyped keynotes, after all, it was the first to be sold out , wasn't it?

Quillz
Jun 29, 2008, 04:08 PM
People forget that Apple has first and foremost always been a hardware company, one that produces electronic gadgets. Yes, they started off making computers, but even as early as the late 80s/early 90s, Apple was moving into other directions, such as the Newton (PDA) and the Pippin (video game console.) I don't think that a keynote dedicated to the iPhone is in any way a sign that Mac OS X is being "neglected." It's simply a presentation matter. It's easier to make a 90-minute keynote talking about new features in iPhone OS 2.0 than it is to say, "Snow Leopard will not have any major new features. Whoopee."

metalmaniac
Jun 29, 2008, 07:21 PM
touche.

I see where this si coming from though.
I think whats happening is Apple is expanding so quickly that its harder for them to keynote all the developments within apple.
Soon iPhone is going to be even bigger, and Mac will keep moving, growing, but not as fast as the iPhone.

Maybe one day well see seperate keynotes for each product/market line.

Either way Apple is going strong and the potential for iPhone (and Apple gadgets) and Mac OS X to move forward are huge.

No complaints here.

I just wish theyd say somethin about the bloody mac mini

metalmaniac
Jun 29, 2008, 07:25 PM
And wow I had never heard of the Pippin before.
I wanna try one now

Tallest Skil
Jun 29, 2008, 07:33 PM
Either way Apple is going strong and the potential for iPhone (and Apple gadgets) and Mac OS X to move forward are huge.

Yeah, Apple's gadgets. What about... oh, I don't know... their COMPUTERS?

Specifically the Mac Pro and Mac Mini. So much potential there.