Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
And yet the punishment is worse than many soldiers who illegally harm human beings get.

Sad when the outrage over a dead puppy dwarfs the outrage caused by rape and murder, sadder still when the punishment in the puppy case is more severe.

Not defending what this guy did, but I do find it strange that animal abuse cases generate so much more press than human abuse cases...

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
And yet the punishment is worse than many soldiers who illegally harm human beings get.

Sad when the outrage over a dead puppy dwarfs the outrage caused by rape and murder, sadder still when the punishment in the puppy case is more severe.

Not defending what this guy did, but I do find it strange that animal abuse cases generate so much more press than human abuse cases...

Hey, what about all those times the Marines paid, out of their own pockets, for animals and children to be sent to the US for medical treatment or animal adoption? You never hear about that. Way to circulate bad news.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, I remember that video when it was posted here. First we all thought it was sick, and then people swore that it was fake. By the end of the video, most people here believed it was fake.

Unfortunately, now we find out it was real. :eek:

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Hey, what about all those times the Marines paid, out of their own pockets, for animals and children to be sent to the US for medical treatment or animal adoption? You never hear about that. Way to circulate bad news.

You are taking my quote waaaaaay out of context, I never said the Marines as a whole never did anything good, I was just pointing out that the punishment in this case, dishonorable discharge, exceeds many cases where certain individuals(not necessarily reflective of the group as a whole) DID do some pretty bad stuff to humans didn't get nearly as bad of a punishment.

Hell, the idiot who put his fellow soldiers in jeopardy AND risked compromising the mission by using a Quran for target practice in Iraq and then not being smart enough(or considerate enough) to actually clean up after himself didn't get a dishonorable discharge. I'm not a muslim and frankly think you should be able to do whatever to any book you own, but I do know that by being as offensive to the locals as possible, he was doing far more damage to the armed forces and society in general than some guy who killed a couple of puppies.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Silly marines. Why would they even do this, let alone film it?

So it was a real puppy :( not like it stood much a chance anyways, being in a warzone and being a dog in that part of the world (I forget which religion but doesn't one of them name dogs as the lowest of all animals and to treated as such?).

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Silly marines. Why would they even do this, let alone film it?

So it was a real puppy :( not like it stood much a chance anyways, being in a warzone and being a dog in that part of the world (I forget which religion but doesn't one of them name dogs as the lowest of all animals and to treated as such?).

That was the mentality of the marines who did it. They knew it wouldn't last in Iraq so they decided to end its life quickly( though wouldn't shooting it be quicker and less painful?). Though it is just sick they made a joke about it and they deserve whatever they get.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I have been reading the various news stories on this
nowhere do they say that the puppy was real.

Even if the puppy was fake, they people involved in this clip should get the boot. its a sick video and makes the people who actually do good thing in the armed forces be labelled with these idiots.
You can spend a long time building trust ans good reputation just to have it all ruined by something like this.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy

While Lynndie England was only sentenced to three years and served little more than one, and while it was a complete miscarriage of justice, this "punishment" is pretty tame in comparison. Animal rights aren't even in the same city, let alone ballpark, as human rights.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008

I guess you kinda have a point there, since I'd never heard about this (the Marines that pay to get kids and animals sent to the US), whereas I just heard of the dog killing and of course I'd heard lots about the various human rights abuses (including Lynndie Johnson. what a piece of work that one was).

I'd like to know more though, do you have any quick links I could look at?

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I think what that guy was horrible. He should be kicked out.

Remind me how immoral is it to kill something that is completely innocent?

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
Wtf?

What's sad is that a lot more people aren't outraged that that jarhead did what he did to that poor, defenseless puppy. Some people aren't worth the skin and bones they take up. A lot of people in the service are in there not because they want to defend our country, but because it's a last resort for them so that they don't get sent to prison and become Bubba's love-slave.

Ask any psychologist or expert in criminology and they will all agree that abusing, hurting, torturing, and killing animals is just a step before they graduate to humans. Another thing that is sad is that people don't realize that animals are actually better than humans: they don't have politics, they don't have ulterior motives, they don't kill for pleasure, they don't do a lot of the things that us supposed higher beings have evolved from.

The piece of sh*t retard that threw that puppy from the cliff got what he deserved: it's karma, baby...live with your actions and accept the consequences. God is in control! :)

hubristol

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
I'm pretty sure that video was fake and the marines were discharged because it made the Marines look bad. Dunno.

As easy as it is to fake a video I find the fact that just about any video posted these days gets labeled as "fake" without anything to support it kinda disturbing.

I'm glad the marine got disciplined.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
People must keep in mind that the bar has been lowered in recent years with respect to approving people into the services. Things that would have kept people from military service in the past (felony convictions, etc..) are often waived to get their numbers. I would say that, overall, the quality of recruits has declined over the past six years.

People must also realize that this one person's action is not indicative of the Marine Corps or Marines in general. Since he was kicked out, he no longer has a right to be called a Marine. The saying Once a Marine, Always a Marine" does not apply to those who have been kicked out, and certainly not to him.

I'm pretty sure that video was fake and the marines were discharged because it made the Marines look bad. Dunno.
It's unfortunately NOT FAKE. I have a cousin who was a marine, and you simply don't know the kind of crap that goes on when you have men walking around with guns and authority. Sometimes bad things happen. Don't be so quick to believe anything surreal isn't true. WAR IS SURREAL.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/27/iraq-soldier-discusses-hi_n_103698.html

~ CB

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Sometimes I find it hypocritical that so many people are crying foul. Unless you are a vegetarian or belong to a vegetarian denominator, I don't think you get a vote on judging this marine.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
Sometimes I find it hypocritical that so many people are crying foul. Unless you are a vegetarian or belong to a vegetarian denominator, I don't think you get a vote on judging this marine.

How about me? I'm in the military, and I think that this action completely undermines the efforts we are making over here in Iraq. This kind of action gives people the wrong image of the military in general.

I think that these idiots got what they deserved. It wasn't funny or cute.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
How about me? I'm in the military, and I think that this action completely undermines the efforts we are making over here in Iraq. This kind of action gives people the wrong image of the military in general.
I think you are referring to his stupid act of broadcasting it to the whole world. That indeed is stupid and reflect badly on everyone in the force.

I'm referring to those people who vilified him because he killed a cute little puppy. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make such a big splash if it was a snake or a rat.

EDIT: Cleverboy comment has some truth in it. This is not a rare incident, there are crap happening especially when soldiers are bored.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Wouldn't a snake pose a threat to the troop though? Vipers and cobras could easily bite a marine and then they're in trouble. Rats and diseases anyone? Since wild rats run in packs one rat would likely mean a bunch of rats increasing the chances of viruses, disease etc, and are also a risk to any food being carried.

A puppy poses no threat, especially since they don't develop harmful attitudes until they've been mistreated. They also don't have the teeth the be dangerous. Even our 7 year old small dog barely has a bite to break skin.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy

Cool, guess I'll keep on judging him. Hey, who else am I allowed to judge? Make a list for me.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Wouldn't a snake pose a threat to the troop though? Vipers and cobras could easily bite a marine and then they're in trouble. Rats and diseases anyone? Since wild rats run in packs one rat would likely mean a bunch of rats increasing the chances of viruses, disease etc, and are also a risk to any food being carried.

A puppy poses no threat, especially since they don't develop harmful attitudes until they've been mistreated. They also don't have the teeth the be dangerous. Even our 7 year old small dog barely has a bite to break skin.
We are going into specifics which is kind of pointless, anyway, what if it is a harmless snake, not all snake are poisonous, and rats are not the only rodents that carried disease, dogs carry diseases as well such as ringworms, rabies etc etc.

I'm not condoning his actions, but I am not surprised at all such things happen in the army and we shouldn't act as if we didn't know.

Cool, guess I'll keep on judging him. Hey, who else am I allowed to judge? Make a list for me.
I'm not getting what you are implying. Don't you find it hypocritical that one guy munching on a chicken wing is calling out for justice for a poor puppy's death?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.