PDA

View Full Version : My theories for Apple's next iPod lineup

Doodledoo
Jun 12, 2008, 04:38 PM
Well, I think Apple is going to focus mainly on pricing this time around.

iPod shuffle 2GB $49
iPod nano 4GB $99
iPod nano 8GB $129
iPhone 3G 8GB $199
iPod touch 16GB $249
iPhone 3G 16GB $299
iPod touch 32GB $349
(touch replaces classic.)
there might also be an eventual 32GB iPhone at $399
plus Apple would drop the 8GB iPod touch to give it a boutique-y-er feel
and my predicition is that eventually we'll see some kind of ...iPod HD or iPod TV... running the same software as Apple TV but with a touchscreen of reasonable size for a 720p movie but still portable. It'll probably be all about wireless, offering some kind of wireless TV-HDMI compatibility... wireless is Apple's future.

Thoughts?

TimJim
Jun 12, 2008, 04:42 PM
EDIT:64GB iPod Touch for $449 wouldnt be possible for a while since it would need 2x32GB. The iPod Touch 32GB (2x16GB) is $499 right now. they will have 64GB eventually for $499, but not for a while.

Fairly soon though I think Apple will drop the iPod Touch prices by $100 so it would be $199 for 8Gb, $299 for 16Gb, etc.
Also, I dont think Apple will drop the Classic line.

Doodledoo
Jun 12, 2008, 04:45 PM
64GB iPod Touch for 449 wouldnt be possible for a while since it would need 2x32GB.

32Gb probably in a bit, as well, Apple wont drop the 'Classic' line.

The thing is, most analysts suggested that this classic would be the last stand of the HDD-based iPod. I agree the storage issue would be a problem, but the 64GB touch would probably use the same PATA 1.8" SSD in the macbook air.

EDIT: read your edited post, i don't think they'd drop them $100, because then they'd be directly competing with the iPhone only they have less features.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
The thing is, most analysts suggested that this classic would be the last stand of the HDD-based iPod. I agree the storage issue would be a problem, but the 64GB touch would probably use the same PATA 1.8" SSD in the macbook air.

EDIT: read your edited post, i don't think they'd drop them $100, because then they'd be directly competing with the iPhone only they have less features.

There is absolutely no way that a $1,000 drive is going to come down in price enough anytime soon to go into iPods.

Doodledoo
Jun 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
There is absolutely no way that a $1,000 drive is going to come down in price enough anytime soon to go into iPods.

Oh yeah, right, lol, i totally spaced on that one... for some reason I thought it was a $399 upgrade. you're right.

nick9191
Jun 12, 2008, 05:23 PM
Plus all the people out their who have huge music and movie collections wouldn't be happy with a 64gb iPod. I don't think it will be until next year that they will be finally lay the scroll wheel to bed.

Bye Bye Baby
Jun 12, 2008, 05:29 PM

I don't understand the comment. So instead they would not drop the prices and actually have a more expensive item with less features? Or do you mean something else?

agbot
Jun 12, 2008, 05:36 PM
I don't know that the 3G iPhone price points will scale so nicely into the iPod list. As far as Apple’s bottom line is concerned the 3G iPhones aren’t actually selling for less since AT&T is the one paying for your $200 discount. No one will be subsidizing iPod Touch prices.

Satori
Jun 12, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'm sure that the reduction in iPhone pricing means that will mean that the existing ipod line will need to come down in price. Right now an iPhone is the same price as a nano or less depending on the contract that is taken out (although obviously a nano does not incure any contract costs).

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'm sure that the reduction in iPhone pricing means that will mean that the existing ipod line will need to come down in price. Right now an iPhone is the same price as a nano or less depending on the contract that is taken out (although obviously a nano does not incure any contract costs).

so.... what you're saying is: they're not the same price.

alphaod
Jun 12, 2008, 06:35 PM
It would be terrible not to have a standard iPod; how would I take my 200GB library with me? :rolleyes:

Indohottie
Jun 12, 2008, 10:54 PM
I think they are going to keep some verision of the classic.. i think there a lot of people out there who want the storage space and dont want/need the wifi..

bov
Jun 12, 2008, 11:05 PM
A lot of people, including myself, would be mad if the largest capacity iPod is 32GB :eek: or even 64GB!

motulist
Jun 12, 2008, 11:12 PM
Your high end is all wrong.

Aside from the price issue, there are many reasons why the touch device form isn't going to replace the classic form in the next revision.

1) There's no way Apple is gonna top off the high end capacity at 64 GB. I have an 80 GB classic and I'm constantly having to manage what I put on there because it's always totally full.

2) Some people want a device that only does media, not net stuff or applications. I already waste too much time on the net, when I was choosing between the touch and the classic, I specifically wanted the classic because it only does media playback.

3) Other people have written that the touch interface also isn't as good for no-look control of your music playback. For all the bikers, business people, and other people on the go, we need a control interface that doesn't require us to look at the device.

madmaxmedia
Jun 12, 2008, 11:42 PM
Generally Apple likes to maintain price points by improving the products, rather than reducing the price.

I think an upgraded Touch line will start at $299 for 16GB and $399 for 32GB. They will probably have more software/interface improvements, and make some hardware tweaks as well.

It's hard to imagine too many changes to the Touch hardware (like adding camera, etc.) because the majority of the body is screen and battery.

The iPhone pricing is not comparable due to the subsidy and required contract. Even though the iPhone 3G is cheaper, the iPod Touch is more affordable because you're not paying for a voice plan plus an additional $30 a month for data.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 12, 2008, 11:54 PM
Generally Apple likes to maintain price points by improving the products, rather than reducing the price.

I think an upgraded Touch line will start at $299 for 16GB and $399 for 32GB. They will probably have more software/interface improvements, and make some hardware tweaks as well.

It's hard to imagine too many changes to the Touch hardware (like adding camera, etc.) because the majority of the body is screen and battery.

The iPhone pricing is not comparable due to the subsidy and required contract. Even though the iPhone 3G is cheaper, the iPod Touch is more affordable because you're not paying for a voice plan plus an additional $30 a month for data.

The only thing, besides more capacity, that I can see apple adding is physical buttons. However, they obviously omitted them on purpose and so I'm not too sure if they'll ever add them.

SactoGuy18
Jun 13, 2008, 07:25 AM
I would not be surprised if Apple keeps the current iPod nano design but produces them like this starting September 2008:

4 GB model reduced to US$99, in silver only.
8 GB model reduced to US$149, now up to eight different colors.
16 GB model selling at US$199, in black and Product Red color only.

The nano will keep its current shape but will switch to an improved battery to up the play time per charge for music up to 35 hours.