Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnelsonjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
I am an action sports photographer and was editing on a MacBook Pro with camera RAW (.CR2) files in Photoshop CS3. Unbeknownst to me, I was working in a color space called "Color LCD", when I should have had my display profile set at "Adobe RGB (1998)".

I didn't realize this until I had already spent many days editing a winter's worth of photos and after I had converted thousands of pics to .jpg format for editorial submissions. I already tore up a phone book from my frustration.

I am now under very tight deadlines with magazines. I was wondering if there's any way to apply a filter of some sort (or any other tricks) for color correcting my .jpg photos to be as close to Adobe RGB (1998) as possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If you need to convert that many images, I recommend you download the trial versions of Aperture and/or Lightroom, they will convert these many raw files automatically and they are much better suited for processing many files. If you just need to submit something, you might get away with the default settings. Exporting 1000 raws in Aperture is very, very simple: you select all images after importing and correcting some of your favorites, then you select all images you want to export and choose Export from the File menu.

Also, it doesn't sound as if you have hardware-calibrated your screen. If that's the case, then you shouldn't bother color-correcting anything on a professional level. Even a cheap hardware calibration tool makes a huge difference.

This may not sound like helpful advice, but if these magazine have complained about your color corrections, you will not be able to deliver satisfactory results unless your ProBook's screen is hardware calibrated.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
There's no way of knowing how your images will look on other people's systems unless you use hardware calibration on your monitor first. The screen on a MacBook Pro isn't really good enough for professional image editing, so you should get hold of a pro quality monitor (ideally wide gamut), hook it up and calibrate it. Then you should have a good idea of how your images will look to other people.

You say you were "working in a color space called Color LCD". Do you mean the Display Profile on the MacBook Pro was set to "Color LCD" or the Photoshop Working Space was set to "Color LCD"...or both? What profile are the jpegs tagged with? Once you've calibrated your monitor it will use a calibrated Display Profile. If you're supplying magazines then the Working Space in Photoshop should usually be set to Adobe 1998 (or you can use Pro Photo RGB and convert to Adobe 1998 at the end).

Do you have your edited images saved as TIFFs or PSD files...or just jpegs? If you're doing any major colour correction you'll get better results working on a TIFF than an 8-bit jpeg.

Once your system is calibrated, if you have no time to re-work all your images, you could try colour correcting a few - trying to find some settings that would improve them all. Then record an action with this correction and batch process a whole folder of images, saving to a new folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.