Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
i recently got a 18inch monitor and i used the spanning hack to get it to work as dual with my ibook, it worked good but one thing...

my ibooks monitor looks a little less colorful. what could be causing this and how can i fix it?

my guesses are

1. the new monitor just looks better by comparison thus skewing my judgement.

2. useing the dual display hack screwed with my ibook and it now looks a littlw worse

could this happen?

is there some way i can find out if something is wrong, or if i'm just going crazy!!

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Hack at your own risk. Find a friend with an iBook and put yours and theirs side-to-side. This will allow you to compare with a non-hacked iBook.

I suppose you could try tinkering with Displays under System Prefs.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
do the displays of the ibook usually look as crisp and colorful as the powerbook?

i know lots of people with powerbooks and few with ibooks

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Supposedly exactly the same 12" PB

Someone elsewhere posted that the new G4 iBook (12") and the 12" PB use the exact same display (identical part numbers).

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
i have an older 700mhz i book, and only a new 15 inch and an slightly older 15 inch to compare to...both of them look slightly better

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Have you tried re-calibrating your iBook's display? When my PB arrived, the colors were horrible. The factory calibration is very poor. It will probably look better if you re-calibrate.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: ibook monitor dilema

Originally posted by howard
2. useing the dual display hack screwed with my ibook and it now looks a littlw worse

could this happen?

is there some way i can find out if something is wrong, or if i'm just going crazy!!

The display hack isn't actually a hack pre se. It's just a program that changes the Open Firmware settings (for those who aren't comfortable doing it manually) from default_mirroring and force_mirroring to allow_desktop_mode for monitor spanning.

It won't damage your iBook and shouldn't void your warranty since you're just changing to one of several pre-existing variables.

If you're still worried just reset your NVRAM by holding down command-option-p-r at startup until you hear a second startup chime. You'll then be back to the factory firmware settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.