PDA

View Full Version : Macs & Spaces

Beej
May 13, 2002, 02:12 AM
My first ever hat-man style thread. Not an overly exciting one, but something I've always wondered...

There seems to be three types of people in the world. Those who put two spaces after a full stop, those who only put one, and those who have never used a computer. This may be a naive view of the world, but from my experience, it's the truth. ;)

Personally, I'm a "double-spacer." Someone told me I was old fashioned, and that it was an "old Mac thing to do." Given my age, I have no idea if this is true or not, but it sounds very weird to me...

I think doubl-spacers have it hard. Text editors usually don't mind if you double-space, but when you start coping and pasting, it assumes you're a single-spacer, which I personally find discriminatory. And then you get apps like Dreamweaver that will not let you double-space, full stop. That's downright rude.

Anyway, share with us all... how do you space?

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2002, 06:59 AM
Double spacing after the period of a sentence is considered the proper way to separate sentences. I was taught this way, way back in Junior High Typing class and its stuck with me ever since. I don't think it was ever just a mac thing.

Ensign Paris
May 13, 2002, 07:07 AM
I asked my father (An ex-typographist but still a font designer) about this, he says that it is a double space, although I personally only use one. Probably due to me being lazy :) I hate it when people put no space in at all.

Ensign

Geert
May 13, 2002, 07:41 AM
I'm a double-spacer myself, I learned like that in school, and could not get rid of the habid :p

jelloshotsrule
May 13, 2002, 08:08 AM
i use two spaces in things like papers and such.... but i usually just use one space online, in emails, etc. non-formal things.

and i often don't end a sentence per se, i just type the old "..." and then hit space and keep going... like this... ha

cleo
May 13, 2002, 08:42 AM
Two spaces is still called for by the MLA (Modern Language Association), so anyone who does it differently is just plain wrong. As far as web site stuff, I've also noticed that they don't like to let you use more than one space. I think it's to prevent idiots from using the space bar to adjust layout. In the Dreamweaver MX preview, at least, you can disable this behavior.

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by cleo
Two spaces is still called for by the MLA (Modern Language Association), so anyone who does it differently is just plain wrong. As far as web site stuff, I've also noticed that they don't like to let you use more than one space. I think it's to prevent idiots from using the space bar to adjust layout. In the Dreamweaver MX preview, at least, you can disable this behavior.

You might be able to disable it in MX, but do the browsers display more than one space? I'm not sure that would be the case. Unless MX knows how to put an inline spacer image in place of the spaces. I've been very frustrated since way back when I first started doing html, that the browsers wouldn't let you use more than one space or tabs. Its always been a pain to put the spacer images in to format paragraphs and text in general.

mcrain
May 13, 2002, 09:40 AM
I personally like 10 spaces. However, it makes the paragraphs look funny. As you can see. Plus, editing can be a pain. Anyway, because 10 gets tiring, and takes a while, I usually use just 2, as taught to me a long, long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away. I can't wait for Star Wars. Well, I'm off.

(In my message, there are 10 spaces after each period, but when it gets posted, it makes it look like only one or two :( )

Taft
May 13, 2002, 10:01 AM
The web has trained me into using single spaces pretty well. I used to use double spaces, but double (or more) spaces are ignored by html rendering engines so its a wasted effort. I still use double spaces for papers and such.

But wait a sec...I've been using double spaces in this whole post. Do I usually do that? Or was I subliminally affected by the subject of the thread? I'm so confused...

Taft

eyelikeart
May 13, 2002, 01:01 PM
I must be in trouble then...as I only do single...and I do a lot of typsetting at my job!! :eek:

but here...I tend to separate many of my thoughts with "..." :D

AlphaTech
May 13, 2002, 01:25 PM
I have used single spaces for years. When I started on the Mac, and it was smart about typing and spaces, the double spacing was no longer needed. It seems that most of the people that go with double spaces are old school, or learned to type many ages ago. With word processors being as powerful as they are these days, the double spacing should be going away. It amazes me the number of posters here that seem to use it still. I have been known to adjust the kerning of type to allow the words to flow better on a page (to reduce orphans and widows).

Cleo, how long ago was that standard created, and when was it revised/updated last??? If it is more then a year or two old, I would ignore it. With computers in the mix, things need to change to match, or be left on the side of the road.

mischief
May 13, 2002, 06:11 PM
This is entirely too rectally inverted. Being that Pies are somewhat worn out at this point you've all earned a Seltzer hit in the face for being so silly. Consider this your "housecat discepline" of the day. :D

Beej
May 13, 2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
It seems that most of the people that go with double spaces are old school, or learned to type many ages ago. With word processors being as powerful as they are these days, the double spacing should be going away.This is interesting. I thought the world was predominantly single-spaced. It could be as you are saying, Alpha, that younger people have learnt to use one space because of the power of word processors. That would explain why I thought the world was full of single-spacers - all my friends are.

--

Thanks for that, mischief. :p:p:p:p

Choppaface
May 13, 2002, 06:38 PM
i think browsers render multiple spaces into a single one because they're programmed to minimize the appearance of whitespace....so like in dreamweaver you can have a paragraph tabbed out to the middle of the page in source yet it will look fine rendered in the browser. line break problems? maybe....

rainman::|:|
May 13, 2002, 06:41 PM
Interesting side note, newspapers (and other publications i think) use single-spaces... I've always been a double-spacer, since 4th grade typing class, but now i rarely end a sentance... just use the wonderful dots... but even then i still use double spaces :) Got in trouble for it when i worked for a newspaper briefly... i wound up screwing up several many documents that later had to be edited...

my partner was my boss then... it's the first time he ever got mad at me :)

pnw

jefhatfield
May 13, 2002, 10:02 PM
i rarely use caps and i know that is wrong but i am lazy

eyelikeart
May 14, 2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by mischief
This is entirely too rectally inverted. Being that Pies are somewhat worn out at this point you've all earned a Seltzer hit in the face for being so silly. Consider this your "housecat discepline" of the day. :D

touché... ;)

I think that's a great idea...