PDA

View Full Version : WTB/Feeler: Dot Mac / .mac

tefleming
Jun 13, 2008, 10:26 AM
What's the going rate on a 1yr dot mac? Amazon's sold out at 70. Best price I've seen is 78.

Anyone selling for less? Or know some place that is.

cyclingplatypus
Jun 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
I saw a place on eBay selling for $69 and then $7 for shipping, search for dot mac and it was at the bottom under the auction listings. I was hoping to save the $7 shipping and have the email the activation code, they won't do it.

Galley
Jun 13, 2008, 08:45 PM
$56.34 (http://www.royaldiscount.com/apple.html)

ThePrimeDreamer
Jun 14, 2008, 04:08 PM

Now this looks like a good place to pick it up; now all I need to figure out is if it's what I really need.

grapes911
Jun 14, 2008, 04:18 PM

Have you purchased from this store before? I'd love to jump on this, but the price seems too good to be true.

tefleming
Jun 14, 2008, 04:23 PM
Have you purchased from this store before? I'd love to jump on this, but the price seems too good to be true.

I gave it a shot. They have a pretty good rating on ResellerRatings.

aawil
Jun 14, 2008, 04:56 PM

Best I've seen. I just picked one up for $62 on ebay and had them email me the code. I was pretty happy with that price.

avigalante
Jun 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
I gave it a shot. They have a pretty good rating on ResellerRatings.

Would it be possible for you to post some feedback in this thread once you have received the item? I'm interested in purchasing but am a bit skeptical.

Please let us know of your experience - thanks.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 14, 2008, 05:53 PM
Would it be possible for you to post some feedback in this thread once you have received the item? I'm interested in purchasing but am a bit skeptical.

Please let us know of your experience - thanks.

Something weird about that place. The icon that shows up in the address bar next to the URL is Yahoo's "Y!"

Galley
Jun 14, 2008, 07:17 PM

Nope, I've never used them before.

tefleming
Jun 14, 2008, 07:18 PM
Something weird about that place. The icon that shows up in the address bar next to the URL is Yahoo's "Y!"

Just means they use Yahoo's merchant platform.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 14, 2008, 07:20 PM
Just means they use Yahoo's merchant platform.

Oh okay. Thanks for the tip. Great price for the .Mac. I may jump on that myself.

Andrew Henry
Jun 15, 2008, 03:46 AM

I just completed my purchase from there, hopefully it's legitamate, but it definitely seems to be.

I'll post an update when it's received.

nctalkinghead
Jun 15, 2008, 12:43 PM
If I buy the Family pack and use only install on 2 computers, can I offer the remaining licenses to others? I want to stay legal.

aethelbert
Jun 15, 2008, 01:10 PM
If I buy the Family pack and use only install on 2 computers, can I offer the remaining licenses to others? I want to stay legal.
As long as those others live at the same address. Otherwise, no.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
As long as those others live at the same address. Otherwise, no.

Where do you see that? I looked at the terms of service and all over the support site and couldn't find any rules about every member of a Family pack having to live in the same place.

aethelbert
Jun 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
Where do you see that? I looked at the terms of service and all over the support site and couldn't find any rules about every member of a Family pack having to live in the same place.
I can't find it either, but I know that I've read it in my family packs for .mac, iLife, Tiger, Leopard, Panther, and iWork. It doesn't have to be the same address per sť (ie a child away at college), but there wouldn't be a point to it. There's one admin account and all of the others have limited functionality.

superfula
Jun 16, 2008, 12:36 PM
I put in an order for .Mac at royaldiscount.com yesterday. Just received this email...

Dear customer,

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately we have become unexpectedly out of stock on Apple .Mac 5.0. At this time we have no estimated delivery date for a new shipment. Your order has been cancelled and no charges will be made to your credit card. Please disregard any emailed order confirmation or tracking information as this was automatically generated during the order process.

I apologize for the inconvenience,

Adam Kaningher
Sales and Marketing

Adam@RoyalDiscount.com
www.RoyalDiscount.com
1721 Boxelder St, Suite 107
Louisville, CO 80027

1-877-292-7712 x207
1-303-468-6070 (local)
1-303-468-6074 (fax)

Andrew Henry
Jun 16, 2008, 12:45 PM
I put in an order for .Mac at royaldiscount.com yesterday. Just received this email...

Mine got canceled too, but they didn't even have the courtesy to e-mail me and tell me that they canceled it.

tefleming
Jun 16, 2008, 01:04 PM
placed my order on Saturday, no status listed on their website.

//EDIT: Mine shipped. Guess I got in before the rush.

superfula
Jun 16, 2008, 03:13 PM
Interesting.

They do have about 200 copies of the Family Pack, so says the guy who emailed me about the cancellation. Even at $80, it's cheaper than I can find the single .Mac for.

zea mays
Jun 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
Mine was cancelled as well.

ETA: Interesting that they DO have them for $79.99, though. Wonder if all the interest made them cancel the orders and raise the price.

jayeskreezy
Jun 16, 2008, 07:01 PM

ETA: Interesting that they DO have them for $79.99, though. Wonder if all the interest made them cancel the orders and raise the price.

probably...I was going to order from them this weekend.

I might purchase version 4.0.
Of course version 4.0 only has 2gb of online storage, but once it switches to .me won't everyone get 20gb anyway? Does anyone know?

aethelbert
Jun 16, 2008, 08:13 PM
probably...I was going to order from them this weekend.

I might purchase version 4.0.
Of course version 4.0 only has 2gb of online storage, but once it switches to .me won't everyone get 20gb anyway? Does anyone know?
All accounts are the same. It doesn't matter which box you buy, you'll always get the current version.

jayeskreezy
Jun 16, 2008, 09:10 PM
All accounts are the same. It doesn't matter which box you buy, you'll always get the current version.

wish I'd known that :( ...well, anyway I just picked up version 5.0 on ebay for $69. The seller has another one, but for some reason I don't know if im allowed to post the link on MR so I wont get myself in trouble-im pretty sure you can find it if you search unless its been purchased already. Also, techforless.com has it for $65+shipping. (about $73 shipped).

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 16, 2008, 09:43 PM

That infuriates me. They can't DO that. Once you've completed an order and sent payment information, they can't just cancel your order because they've decided they want to raise the price.

If I were you guys I would raise some holy hell. I, for one, will never spend a penny at that place. What a bunch of clowns...

zea mays
Jun 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
That infuriates me. They can't DO that. Once you've completed an order and sent payment information, they can't just cancel your order because they've decided they want to raise the price.

If I were you guys I would raise some holy hell. I, for one, will never spend a penny at that place. What a bunch of clowns...

I wrote them an email about it. Surprise, surprise I haven't heard anything back. Follow the original link and you'll see it.

Andrew Henry
Jun 17, 2008, 01:15 AM

In the process of writing the e-mail right now. :mad:

Here's my e-mail:

"Hello,

I would like to voice my opinion of your companies business practices. First of all I ordered the .Mac 5.0 for $56, and yesterday I look at the order status and the order had been canceled, no e-mail or anything regarding why my order was canceled. Then after I sent an e-mail requesting information as to why my order was canceled, I got a canned response about how it was out of stock with no delivery date available. Then I look on your website today, and I see that it's in fact NOT out of stock, but your company decided to cancel peoples orders, and raise the price because of the "unexpected demand". This is very poor business practice, and I for one will never spend a penny with your company, and I plan to encourage everyone I know to also not spend money with your company. Most of the orders that were canceled, were from a large userbase of an Apple forum that we frequent, and there are many people who are not pleased by this type of business practice. It's unfortunate for your company that you have just lost an unknown amount of potential customers because of this little stunt.

Your's truly,
Unsatisfied Customer

Andrew "

ThePrimeDreamer
Jun 17, 2008, 02:54 AM
Curious. Now both the individual and family pack of .Mac 5.0 are each selling for $79.99. Are they still not shipping, or does it appear they "suspended" some accounts/purchases, so that they could charge more? Hmm...

Now I don't know....

MobileMe/.Mac or web host or online storage?

tefleming
Jun 17, 2008, 07:41 AM
placed my order on Saturday, no status listed on their website.

//EDIT: Mine shipped. Guess I got in before the rush.

Shipped yesterday, eta Friday.

Bosox3
Jun 17, 2008, 09:53 AM
Just bought mine from ebay for $60 shipped.

superfula
Jun 17, 2008, 10:31 AM
I purchased the family pack for 80. It was shipped out yesterday.

FarSeide
Jun 17, 2008, 10:39 AM
Amazon perhaps ?

superfula
Jun 18, 2008, 07:56 PM
I received the .Mac Family Pack from them today. VERY fast turnaround and free shipping.

edit: Too funny. The box has a CompUSA price tag on it for $179.99. Perhaps these guys bought a bunch at some CompUSA fire-sale

jayeskreezy
Jun 19, 2008, 10:04 AM
I received the .Mac Family Pack from them today. VERY fast turnaround and free shipping.

edit: Too funny. The box has a CompUSA price tag on it for $179.99. Perhaps these guys bought a bunch at some CompUSA fire-sale

yup!...most people did and when they were there they def weren't $180...they got down to like $90 or less at most places....I picked up a fam pack of leopard during the sale for like $100

tefleming
Jun 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
I received the .Mac Family Pack from them today.

So did I, despite ordering a single user pack. :-)