Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
Well not quite but any help would be appreciated.

I am a recent switcher and have an annoying problem. I am a *nix head and so use the terminal/ssh a hell of a lot.

Editing system files often requires use of the # key (whatever you want to call it, hash is my favourite) only my G4 ibook (UK keyboard) doesn't have one.

Copy and paste is how I've been getting by but it's starting to annoy me.

Does anyone know how I assign a keystroke (pay for solutions are not acceptable) for use in terminal.

12" 800Mhz G4/40GB HD/256 RAM/Combo/AP&BT

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
Re: It's called the Hash key

Fantastic, Thanks for your help. This has been bugging me for two weeks since I got my first apple and I looked everywhere about it.

On a side note, I call it the "hash key" but I have heard others call it different names.

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
Strange

If it is shift-3 then the # would be above the 3 on the keyboard ! Since it's not it should be alt-3 unless you've changed your keyboard settings.

On my iBook the £ is above the 3 hence shift-3 = £

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by stoid
is that any different than shift-3

shift-3
#

alt-3
£

I think you want shift-3

In the UK keyboard layout those two keys are switched.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
in case anyone is interested (which i doubt very much) the "hash" or "pound" sign is actually called an octothorpe. it was originally a map-making symbol that stood for a town or small village, because it resembles a village or town square surrounded by 8 square fields, which was apparantly a common arrangement. "octothorpe" is latin for eight fields.

</typographic dorkdom>

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by sonofslim
in case anyone is interested (which i doubt very much) the "hash" or "pound" sign is actually called an octothorpe. it was originally a map-making symbol that stood for a town or small village, because it resembles a village or town square surrounded by 8 square fields, which was apparantly a common arrangement. "octothorpe" is latin for eight fields.

</typographic dorkdom>

Very intresting, but this is a #, hash or octothorpe, and that £ is a pound. When I first read it it seemed you called the £ and # signs the same thing.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by Wes
I heard it was a call that Dell customer support get often.

Ahh, reason I ask is I've got an techno remix of a Simpsons song. Pretty funny, I'm guessing Homer is at a computer and it asks him to press the "any" key and Homer flips out.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Originally posted by Wes
Very intresting, but this is a #, hash or octothorpe, and that £ is a pound. When I first read it it seemed you called the £ and # signs the same thing.

In the States, # is often referred to as the pound sign. I am not sure why.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It's from the episode where Homer gets himself fat in order to work at home on a disability. He also tried to get a drink by pressing the "tab" key, too.

kaosfere

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2003
Chicagoland
Originally posted by Vector

Because it used to be used to indicate pounds of weight, eg, a 5# bag of sugar. That usage is dying.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Originally posted by Vector

In Japan, '#' is called the sharp key (just to make my life more difficult.) Makes using phone menus a pain in the rear.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Originally posted by sonofslim

</typographic dorkdom>

that's quite interesting, but tell me...just exactly how in the hell did you know that?!?!?

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
The "any" key. Is that from the Simpsons?

exactly what i thought when i first read the title.

"To start press any key. Where's the ANY key? I see Esk ["ESC"], Catarl ["CTRL"], and Pig-Up ["PGUP"]. There doesn't seem to be any ANY key!"

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by spinner
that's quite interesting, but tell me...just exactly how in the hell did you know that?!?!?

The Elements of Typographic Style; by Robert Bringhurst

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
sharps...

In Japan, '#' is called the sharp key (just to make my life more difficult.) Makes using phone menus a pain in the rear.

being the "sharp" key may come from music, where # is used to "sharpen" or make the tone higher by one half step.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
"Press any key to continue". My, people who make this mistake should be banned from having their genes passed down. ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by kaosfere
Because it used to be used to indicate pounds of weight, eg, a 5# bag of sugar. That usage is dying.
Of course alot of the telehell phone systems use either the 'star' or 'pound' key.

But either usage makes you want to pound the phone against a hard object, or the system programmers head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.