Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I'm trying to hook up my Apple TV to a switcher that takes S-video. I can't seem to find an adapter for this, anybody know of one? thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
AFAIK, this is not anything you can do easily. S-Video and Component video are both analog video signals, but S-Vid supports only relatively low SDTV-ish resolutions, whereas component is mostly used for high def resolutions. I'm not sure if there's a cheap product that will take 480p or 480i transmitted over component and put it into an S-Video signal, but the devices I've seen that generally can do this kind of conversion cost almost as much as an Apple TV itself.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Slingbox Pro

That seemed like the only affordable one I could find too. thanks!

I'm wondering if you can plug the AppleTV into the slingbox Pro, and then connect the slingbox to the TV. That way, at least you can send the appleTV signal over the internet as well as to your TV. Not sure if that would work.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
I've replied to similar questions in the past, but there are other ways... you just need to think a little outside of the box, and decide how large of a solution you're willing to settle for.

A bit more specifically, there are some satellite receivers out there, made by samsung, that have component and composite inputs, and dual outputs (component / composite). Additionally, it has a built in hd tuner (bonus). So you can throw any component signal in, and have it go to your 480i tv in style :D

Last time I checked, about 4-5 months ago, they cost somewhere around 40 bucks on ebay.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I've replied to similar questions in the past, but there are other ways... you just need to think a little outside of the box, and decide how large of a solution you're willing to settle for.

A bit more specifically, there are some satellite receivers out there, made by samsung, that have component and composite inputs, and dual outputs (component / composite). Additionally, it has a built in hd tuner (bonus). So you can throw any component signal in, and have it go to your 480i tv in style :D

Last time I checked, about 4-5 months ago, they cost somewhere around 40 bucks on ebay.
Thats a good idea, I might check that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.