PDA

View Full Version : Dead Pixel...Can/should I do something?

cfs
Jun 13, 2008, 07:30 PM
Hi forum,
It is a stuck pixel, not dead.

I got an i-touch 6 days ago and just opened it. Before I hooked it up to my computer, I turned it on to check the touch screen. I found one stuck pixel (green). Can/should I take this back tomorrow for a new one?

-cfs

aethelbert
Jun 13, 2008, 07:46 PM
There are 153.600 pixels on that screen. Having one dead pixel isn't really anything to be concerned about, and a lot of places won't exchange it for a new one. Plus, if you exchange it, you could very likely get one with another dead pixel or one with more than one.

Sun Baked
Jun 13, 2008, 07:53 PM
You might trade one dead pixel for 2-3 stuck pixels which are far more annoying that a pixel that stays dark.

razorianfly
Jun 13, 2008, 07:54 PM
Apple will only exchange a device will 3 or more dead pixels on it's screen.

R-Fly

ThirteenXIII
Jun 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
found this on another forum "steve" or an informer responded to something about dead pixel policy ( it hink it was for the ACD's or something but sort of iterates what the procedures and ideals they set)

Subject: Re: Apple Cinema Display's Policy
Date: January 28, 2008 05:53:37 PM PDT
To: <email void> <emailvoid>@mac.com

In our industry, up to 5 dead pixels is considered good. Its hard to
manufacture them much better than this on a continuous basis.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

i received one today and it had a tiny itty bitty blinking onea nd sighed relief that it works and that there arent many.

one you use it it will definitely be overruled by your needs to use more important apps on your touch then the non-limiting dead pixel

its hard to swallow, yes ive been pretty picky about my lcds its a hit or miss, ive been lucky to not have much dead pixel issues on any of my lcds or various products.

cfs
Jun 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just did more research. The pixel is green. Does this mean it is not dead?
-cfs

Evilblobs
Jun 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
if its green, its not dead.

dead pixels are, well.. dead. Stuck pixels are.... stuck to a specific color.

Best Buy exchanged mine with only a couple dead and one stuck (note, the best buy near me seems to be far more forgiving and generous than most, so i bought once since Costco wouldnt have them for another month)

Where'd you buy yours?

Sun Baked
Jun 13, 2008, 08:05 PM
Stuck = Bright subpixel anomaly = subpixel that is always on

Dead = Dark subpixel anomaly = subpixel that is always off

---

If you say dead pixel, people will think you know what you are talking about.

The dead pixels typically have a higher anomaly count that stuck pixels when it comes to replacements. Stuck pixels are usually more annoying.

Stuck pixels generally have a lower threshold and may even be replaced with 1 or 2 if the pixel is stuck on in a critical viewing area.

cfs
Jun 13, 2008, 08:58 PM
if its green, its not dead.

dead pixels are, well.. dead. Stuck pixels are.... stuck to a specific color.

Best Buy exchanged mine with only a couple dead and one stuck (note, the best buy near me seems to be far more forgiving and generous than most, so i bought once since Costco wouldnt have them for another month)

Where'd you buy yours?

I bought it at Apple. came with the ed promo.

cfs
Jun 13, 2008, 09:02 PM
Stuck = Bright subpixel anomaly = subpixel that is always on

Dead = Dark subpixel anomaly = subpixel that is always off

---

If you say dead pixel, people will think you know what you are talking about.

The dead pixels typically have a higher anomaly count that stuck pixels when it comes to replacements. Stuck pixels are usually more annoying.

Stuck pixels generally have a lower threshold and may even be replaced with 1 or 2 if the pixel is stuck on in a critical viewing area.

It's low, near the menu button.

-cfs

e12a
Jun 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
one pixel is not enough. Heck, the five stuck pixels I had were "still within spec" because they were spaced apart according to the genius I talked to today, but he still exchanged mine for a new one

majordude
Jun 13, 2008, 10:00 PM
Can/should I take this back tomorrow for a new one?

My thinking is that you bought a top of the line product. It should have a higher standard of quality.

I'd take it back and take it back again if the first person tells me to take a hike. :cool:

But in reality, I know I just obsess about these things... in a week or so that first scratch across the screen will make me forget about the pixel. :rolleyes:

Edge100
Jun 13, 2008, 10:45 PM
one pixel is not enough. Heck, the five stuck pixels I had were "still within spec" because they were spaced apart according to the genius I talked to today, but he still exchanged mine for a new one

Unless you were told by Apple about their "spec" BEFORE you bought, and then agreed to the "spec" implicitly by buying, you are not bound to their arbitrary number. They promised you a display with a certain resolution, which you dont have.

Do not, under any circumstances, stand for a dead/stuck pixel that bothers you. If you can live with it, then fine. But if it bothers you, don't let Apple BS you; you CAN get an exchange.

majordude
Jun 13, 2008, 11:03 PM
Unless you were told by Apple about their "spec" BEFORE you bought, and then agreed to the "spec" implicitly by buying, you are not bound to their arbitrary number. They promised you a display with a certain resolution, which you dont have.

Hey! Now, THAT'S pretty good!

"I paid $499 for 153,600 pixels! You gave me 153,599 and I demand restitution!"

:rolleyes:

GoCubsGo
Jun 13, 2008, 11:13 PM

Then Apple owes the kid $0.003 USD. Those ****ers. Let us sue.

Sun Baked
Jun 13, 2008, 11:19 PM
Then Apple owes the kid $0.003 USD. Those ****ers. Let us sue.

I beg to differ, Apple's lawyers will sue that since the pixel is stuck on it is getting more use by the user -- so the kid owes him $0.003 USD plus attorney fees.

So please cough up $758,122.29 + $0.003 USD and interest.

Have a nice day. :p

GoCubsGo
Jun 13, 2008, 11:21 PM
I beg to differ, Apple's lawyers will sue that since the pixel is stuck on it is getting more use by the user -- so the kid owes him $0.003 USD plus attorney fees.

So please cough up $758,122.29 + $0.003 USD and interest.

Have a nice day. :p

HAHAHA Awesome!
But he's right. OP looks like you're screwed.

Edge100
Jun 14, 2008, 08:34 AM

Apple promised you a device that functions according to a specific set of specs THAT THEY PUBLISH. They are very quick to tell you about RAM, CPU speed, bus speed, etc. If you were given a device with different specs than the one you were promised, Apple would have to exchange the device.

If they were to make their policy on dead/stuck pixels clear BEFORE purchase, then I would say "too bad" to those people who have <5 (or whatever) dead pixels; you knew the policy before you bought. But have you ever seen Apple post its dead/stuck pixel policy in an Apple Store? Have you ever been informed of it by an Apple employee? Of course not, you are forced to look it up afterward; you have not made an informed decision about making the purchase (which is essentially a contract). Apple could come up with any arbitrary "spec" number they wanted. They would never make it too many pixels, or people would really get mad; but too few and they would be replacing too many devices.

But there's the rub: it doesn't make a lick of difference. Apple knows that most people with one or two dead/stuck pixels wont do anything about it, and a large proportion of those who do something about it will be put off by this "within spec" nonsense. It's a business decision on Apple's part, and if I were running Apple, I'd do the same.

But I'm the consumer, and if I get a dead/stuck pixel, I want a replacement. End of story. And until such time as Apple allows me to make an informed decision based on their "spec", a replacement is exactly what I'll get.

Tastannin
Jun 14, 2008, 08:44 AM
Isn't there an pixel repair app for the iphone like this one for the mac (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/pixelfix.html)? *googles for a few seconds* Oh yeah! There's a web based one for the iPhone - try it here (http://www.ebaspace.com/iphone-app/#_home).

Good luck!

littlelemon1
Jun 19, 2008, 10:20 AM
It seems that if your Mac doesn´t have a minimum quantity of dead/stuck pixels, Apple can´t do anything. See below a link that explains it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1721?viewlocale=en_US

I bought an iMac 20" on April 28 and it has one stuck pixel in the middle of the lcd screen, so I´ve sent it to a technical assistance and they´ve answered with this link and said that Apple will not repair/replace the product.

housemusic101
Jun 19, 2008, 11:01 AM
always buy from amazon or best buy or circuit city or walmart. If you have a dead pixel just return and if they ask if anything is wrong, just say no. Dont mention defect. Then pick up another one until you are satisfied. They never charged me a restocking fee and never ask questions. I returned 3 sonys in a row to bestbuy once for bad screens. i have multiple bestbuys in my area so i mix it up on the returns so i dont seem like an ass.