Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I'm running a server off regular OS X 10.4, and I have a secondary drive hooked up as the drive to serve. On the mac, when one connects to a server, there's no issue because they just select the name I gave the drive. But on the windows side, when I setup a network place with the address \\address\user\, it just loades the user file and nothing else. I tried it without the user at the end, but Windows wouldn't accept it. I tired it with the name of the drive instead of the server, still nothing. Any thoughts?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I could be wrong, but I thought that when a Windows user connects to a Mac that's sharing stuff via SMB, the only (by default) share the user can connect to is the home folder (and that if you wanted to share any other folder, you had to use a tool like SharePoints to set it up).

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
That's very unfortunate that it only allows the home folder. How would I go about setting up a sharepoint to do what I want to do?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Also, FWIW, 10.5 looks like it incorporates that tool I linked to above.

You can simply click + in the Sharing System Preferences and specifically add the other folders you want them to be able to access. :)

Probably doesn't help you now, but if you were like me and wondering why it was so hard to do this with 10.4, at least you know it's somewhat easier in the next OS version. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 108

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
It's even easier in 10.5.3 - just select "get info" on a folder, and there's a new checkbox called "Shared Folder". Set this check box and the folder is available on the network!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.