Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schaller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
--- It seems my post was deleted :( ---

How many unopened (= original shrinkwrapped) first generation iPods are out there?

My pride and joy:

iPod, 1st generation, model 8513, 12/2001, original shrinkwrapped

MacMalv

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
England
thats pretty cool, i doubt that there are many around now. i still have my first gen iPod but it has been well used, and the battery only last about 1/2 an hour!! still love it though. :D

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Don't think those numbers really exist.. i am quite jealous though of yours..

I've got a 1G windows iPod complete with all materials, but deffinetly used :(

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I personally think these "collectibles" are pretty pointless and shallow. Surely there are more important things to worry about than having a shrinkwrapped item? What's the point of having something that no one can put to good use? That poor iPod would be better off seeing some action on someone who can't afford a new one.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I personally think these "collectibles" are pretty pointless and shallow. Surely there are more important things to worry about than having a shrinkwrapped item? What's the point of having something that no one can put to good use? That poor iPod would be better off seeing some action on someone who can't afford a new one.

don't hate :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have a shrink wrapped car; it doesn't have any miles on it; did I mention I have no idea what it looks like? :D

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD

To have an unused, original version of something that went on to be a cultural icon seems as good as collectible as anything.

As for numbers of them around, I can't imagine that there are more than a couple hundred.

mixmacface

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
in the 7th layer of hell.
wow. . . just wow.
i think it's a little crazy to have an unopened ipod like that. . just sitting around. . hanging out. . in the dark. . with nobody to love it. [tear] but hey! whatever floats your boat

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Thats awesome, but I'm not sure its a good idea to keep it shrink wrapped for that long.

The Li-ion battery has likely permanently lost its ability to hold a charge. The battery my swell or leak, destroying you iPod from the inside out. :eek:

I'm not hating, but that just how batteries roll.:p

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany

There is no point in arguing about whether or not collecting something might be "pointless and shallow". There is only fascination, and that's a purely subjective thing.

waffle911

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
⇧⌥K = 
thats pretty cool, i doubt that there are many around now. i still have my first gen iPod but it has been well used, and the battery only last about 1/2 an hour!! still love it though. :D

You can fix that. If you wanted to.

As for a shrink wrapped 1st gen...
Let it be a testament to the former wasteful (but oh so cool) nature of Apple's iPod packaging. I remember opening my new first-gen iPod mini. It was almost a religious experience the box was designed so well. Then again, 4GB cost me $250, but it came with a driver CD and USB AND Firewire cables and BOTH chargers!
They just don't do that anymore. iTunes 4. Good times, good times.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I don't think it's wasteful at all to have an unopened item, especially something like the first iPod. I'm sure this could be sold for lots of money in the future.

I think some of you don't realize that collecting something and never opening it isn't new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.