PDA

View Full Version : Winston-Salem, NC

zildjianfan
Jun 14, 2008, 06:33 PM
Anyone who wants to meetup (I'm planning on going to the one on S Stratford) for the launch or knows any information (time, if they will sell out, stock, etc).

EDIT: Going to AT&T store, not Apple Store (main reason....we don't have one nearby, haha)

phinnaeus
Jun 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
Never mind. I'm just going to go to one of the three stores in GSO.

Accordfan07
Jun 15, 2008, 06:00 PM
Cool, I never thought W-S would be on the list. Anyway I was planning on the Stratford Rd store as well. I think they have the best service reps. of any at&t store in town. I live closer to the Summit Square store but they are horrible. However, they are a larger store and might have more inventory. This is all new to me. So I have no idea when to show up. I've already been approved to be off work that day. Earliest I want to show up is 10 am if it goes on sale at 6 pm.

MacGromit
Jun 15, 2008, 06:05 PM
Always great to see some fellow Piedmont NC Macheads out here!

Did the S. Stratford AT&T corporate store near the Krispy Kreme have the new iPhone?

zildjianfan
Jun 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Did the S. Stratford AT&T corporate store near the Krispy Kreme have the new iPhone?

I'm not too sure who has what but I'm going to call them closer to launch date...I'll post when I find out.

Anyone know how likely they are to sell out (did they last time or anything)? I was planning on getting to the store a few hours early, but if it will sell out I may go earlier (I hope not).

mudskip
Jun 16, 2008, 11:24 AM
I was thinking about going to the store on Hanes Mall Blvd.
I went there last year.
They recently moved across the street into a bigger store.

Last year... i showed up probably around 12pm on launch day and was like #5 in line. There were probably no more than 10 people in line up to 1 hour before launch. Soon after it ramped up until 6pm when I would say there were 30 or so people in line. I don't think they sold out.. but i don't know.

Ohh.. i remember last year someone said that at the stratford rd store, they bought people in line free Chick-fil-a.. but I don't know if this was true.
They didn't buy us anything at the Hanes Mall Blvd store.
Tim Clodfelter from the Winston Salem Journal stopped by and asked us a few questions.

I am still not sure what I am going to do...
I am planning on at least getting 1 for my girlfriend and add it on as a family plan. Should I take off work [off at 7pm]?, should I get one myself? 8 or 16G? Black or white? So many choices.

A couple of months ago, the screen on my phone became cracked [not sure if it was my fault.] I bought the AppleCare extra warranty, but Apple says it's not covered. My touchscreen still works, there is just 1 crack across the corner of the screen...
They said they would repair it for $250...

zildjianfan
Jun 16, 2008, 03:51 PM
thanks for the info mudskip!
I was considering the at&t store on hanes as well, but wasn't sure if they sell iphones. You think the lines will be the same as last year?

MacGromit
Jun 16, 2008, 05:44 PM
thanks for the info mudskip!
I was considering the at&t store on hanes as well, but wasn't sure if they sell iphones. You think the lines will be the same as last year?

The folks at the Hanes Mall Blvd location are clueless. I strongly recommend the company store over near the Krispy Kreme on South Stratford.

I ended up being billed for two concurrent data access plans on my Blackberry when I last went to the Hanes store. Twice what I should have paid. The Stratford rep took care of everything and fixed the insanity. :)

Blitzinger
Jun 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
I'll be at the new one they put up across from Target. It's pretty nice inside (even though that's not where we'll get to wait.) This will be my first iPhone. I'm actually getting a blackberry today though. My nextel contract ended yesterday so I cancelled the line and my parents have at&t so I'm just adding a line to their plan and adding the data. AT&T people said I can get a blackberry now and trade it in for an iPhone when it comes out since it's under 30 days away from launch.

mudskip
Jun 24, 2008, 02:09 PM
Despite Gromit's advice, I think i'll be there with you Blitz.

I am taking off work that day.
I have a crazy plan to go down to the Google plant in Lenoir and beg for a job.. even though I am not qualified for any of the positions they have posted online.
After i get back, i'll get in line.

As to the question concerning line formation this year...
I have no clue...
On one hand, iPhone has been out for a while, so it's not such as shiny, new, and awesome as it was last year... On the other hand.. it will now be $200-$400 cheaper than last year... which is something I'm sure kept more people at bay for last year's launch.
It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Blitzinger
Jun 24, 2008, 11:09 PM
This is going to piss some/all of you off but....

I can have the woman at the at&t store hold me one. So I don't know if I'll be standing in line all night. I feel kind of guilty but on the other hand, I really want an iPhone (I'm going crazy thinking about the remote feature w/ my Macbook Air.)

I may still end up going though just to be the geek I really am and show up with my Apple stuff....well my two apple products.

zildjianfan
Jun 26, 2008, 04:59 PM
How'd you manage that...employees aren't supposed to hold any phones for anyone?

Blitzinger
Jun 26, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yea I know but I know someone that works there. Not sure if I'm going to ask them to hold it or not. I know it looks bad from a distance but I have a feeling many others would tell the person to hold onto it if they were in my position.

zildjianfan
Jun 27, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hey, if you've got an advantage, go for it!

mudskip
Jul 2, 2008, 03:09 PM
Now that we know AT&T stores are going to sell iPhone 3G @8am, what time is everyone planning on getting in line?

Is 6am early enough?

Also.. i was planning on getting the $69.99 plan and adding on a family plan for $39.99...
But with the announcement the other day that the cheapest family plan for 2 iPhone 3Gs is $129.99... will adding the $39.99 to the $69.99 be an option? I don't really need the extra minutes. $129.99 is $10 short of just having 2x $69.99 non family plans.

iPhone 3G plans (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp)

zildjianfan
Jul 2, 2008, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure, but I was thinking about that time. I went to the S Stratford store today and they said they don't know what to expect (stock included). The lady said last year people lined up 12 hours before launch...granted that didn't mean an overnight stay like it would this time. She also said they sold out in 45 minutes. If they sell out they'll get more stock right away.
Ill be getting the $69.99 plan + $5 texting, and a 16gb black phone.

chrisutd
Jul 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
I think I am going to the new store across from Target. I talked to a guy in there this weekend and he said they will be selling it. They also had a pretty snazzy display up for it already. I will probably go up there around 1am just to see if anyone is up there yet. I am going to get the $89.99 plan + $15 texting, haven't decided on the phone yet.

mudskip
Jul 9, 2008, 05:21 AM
I think I've decided.

I'm going to get the 69.99 plan + $5 for 200 text messages.

If got 1 extra iPhone on a family plan, like i wanted to, the bill would have gone from 59.99 to at least $129.99... more than double..
That does not seem right to me.

Blitzinger
Jul 9, 2008, 04:23 PM
So can I get a head count here for everyone going to the one across the street from Target?

I think I'm going to get the 8GB iPhone because I know they're coming out with a 32GB one later on this year or next spring that I can swap out this one for. I also found out that 3 CD Albums in my iTunes on my MBA is half a GB so I think 8GB overall should be enough for me.

I also have a 30gb iPod and it's only half full (or half empty depending how you look at it lol)

Blitzinger
Jul 9, 2008, 04:24 PM
I think I've decided.

I'm going to get the 69.99 plan + $5 for 200 text messages.

If got 1 extra iPhone on a family plan, like i wanted to, the bill would have gone from 59.99 to at least $129.99... more than double..
That does not seem right to me.

What do you mean?

My mother has a family plan with 2100 minutes. I pay 9.99/month to add a line, 30 for the data plan w/ iphone (20/data 10/3G) and 5 for 200 text messages so it comes out to 45/month. Where do you get 129.99 from?

mudskip
Jul 9, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'll be there.
Rationale for getting extra space:
Apps
Movies/TV/video podcasts

mudskip
Jul 9, 2008, 04:30 PM
What do you mean?
<snip>
Where do you get 129.99 from?

From here (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp).

I called and talked to an AT&T store person, and they said $129.99 was the lowest you could get 2 iPhones 3G on a plan for. If you add on a 3rd, 4th, and 5th iPhone 3G, they are $39.99 extra, a piece.

If she doesn't have an iPhone, i don't know how it works, but I would think you are ok with the 2100 minute plan just adding on $39.99.

chrisutd
Jul 9, 2008, 07:08 PM
I will also be at the one across the street from target. I will probably head up there around 1am to see if anyone is there yet. So if anyway wants to join me then feel free to.

zildjianfan
Jul 9, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'll be at the S Stratford store if anyone wants to join..plan on getting there at 6am or so (think that's early enough)? I've already talked to some people there and they have my pre-credit approval so I'm going to stick with them.

:apple: Less than 32 hours now!

Blitzinger
Jul 9, 2008, 11:12 PM
What are you guys bringing? I'm thinking of bringing my MBA and current 30gb iPod. Sadly idk if the MBA is worth bringing other than for a movie because it won't have internet access (can I tether my BB curve?)

zildjianfan
Jul 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm planning on bringing my MacBook for a movie as well. Always have my iPod in my car so I'll have that too. Anyone have an idea what time is early enough to be guaranteed a phone?
Edit: by phone I mean the 16GB black phone

Blitzinger
Jul 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'm planning on bringing my MacBook for a movie as well. Always have my iPod in my car so I'll have that too. Anyone have an idea what time is early enough to be guaranteed a phone?
Edit: by phone I mean the 16GB black phone

I'll be heading that way around 4 a.m. The store usually opens at 10 a.m. but I keep hearing 8 a.m. is when the iPhone 3G launches. Will they open early specifically for that?

chrisutd
Jul 10, 2008, 04:00 PM
The stores will be opening at 8am for the launch of the iPhone 3g. I will be bringing my ipod as well as my nintendo ds. Also, I know the At&t store across from target has free wifi so for those bringing computers, you should have internet.

zildjianfan
Jul 10, 2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, 8am is confirmed. I called the S Stratford store and they will be opening then. I think I'll get there around 6am or so. I hope that is early enough!

mudskip
Jul 10, 2008, 09:38 PM
I just drove by the store across from target.
No one is in line yet lol.
There sitting in my car in front of the store, my iPhone picked up one locked wifi network called "Retail access" or something.
It could be I wasn't close enough, or perhaps they power down the unlocked one during closing hours.

I updated my iPhone to the new firmware this morning with no problems other than it took forever.
I put a load of free apps on my phone as well.

The remote app from Apple is just too cool.
You can search your library and instantly play anything in your library.
You don't hear it on your iPhone though, just the computer you are controlling.
It even shows album art..
Cover flow does not work with it though.

t minus 9 hours 22 minutes.

Blitzinger
Jul 10, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm heading there around 2 a.m.. I can't sleep because of the anticipation (mind you this is my first iPhone I'll be getting and so much is planned. I can't wait to whip it out at a party tomorrow night lol).

As they say, "I'll see you when I see you". Now what iTunes movie to rent on the MBA...

(If you plan on renting an iTunes movie, remember you have to start it from an internet controlled area before it'll actually let you watch it.).

mudskip
Jul 10, 2008, 11:30 PM
I wonder if there is a place to get power to connect gear?

zildjianfan
Jul 11, 2008, 12:18 AM
I'm heading there around 2 a.m.. I can't sleep because of the anticipation (mind you this is my first iPhone I'll be getting and so much is planned. I can't wait to whip it out at a party tomorrow night lol).

As they say, "I'll see you when I see you". Now what iTunes movie to rent on the MBA...

(If you plan on renting an iTunes movie, remember you have to start it from an internet controlled area before it'll actually let you watch it.).

I can't sleep either, argh. I'll be there a little before 5 I think. Earlier if anything :D

zildjianfan
Jul 11, 2008, 04:01 AM
At the S Stratford store now...not too long a line, some people here since 6 though. Head over while you can.

mudskip
Jul 11, 2008, 08:30 AM
I was 8th in line, and I believe the 2nd person out of the store.
Once I got home and hooked up my new iPhone to iTunes, I started doing the restore from my old iPhone... now it is working on the backup... this takes a really long time.

http://img.skitch.com/20080711-khbpf9grgm9xdtd1d91hbtn6w5.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/mudskip/xibj/cam)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/mudskip/xibj/cam) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

zildjianfan
Jul 11, 2008, 09:53 AM
I was 9th person in! 5th out or something. I got a 16gb black.

mudskip
Jul 11, 2008, 11:38 AM
I was 9th person in! 5th out or something. I got a 16gb black.

Ha! Cool.
I did a drive by the stratford location at about 4:45am or so.
I weakly said "wassup" out the window.

I had planned on yelling something like "Zildjan fan rules" as I drove by, but when I saw like 20 people, my courage sank.

Blitzinger
Jul 11, 2008, 04:05 PM
3rd in line at the Hanes Mall Blvd one, right behind someone else in this thread (didn't ask user name). Took forever to get my exchange for the iPhone from my blackberry and I had to pay $200 for the difficulties but they said they'll refund it within the next couple days. I have the corporate managers personal number if that doesn't happen.

I wish I knew how to make free custom ring tones.

But how about that GPS? It's INSANE. I used it on the way home on the highway. That blue dot was flying (I had it zoomed in lol). So neat

zildjianfan
Jul 11, 2008, 10:47 PM
I wish I knew how to make free custom ring tones.

Search on youtube. What I do is drag the song I want as a ringtone into Audacity (free), edit it to what I want as the ringtone, export as mp3, import into iTunes, convert to AAC, drag that new file onto desktop (will have extension .m4a), change the extension to .m4r (say yes change to .m4r). Drag into Library and success! May seem like a lot but it is very easy.