View Full Version : Manchester, UK

davidrules04
Jun 14, 2008, 07:03 PM
Who in manchester is getting their hands on the new :apple: iPhone 3g, i am. :D

badgerman
Jun 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
Who in manchester is getting their hands on the new :apple: iPhone 3g, i am. :D

Aye.

Prob will be a Trafford centre as 3 options all within a few meters.

7am start is gunna be early tho :eek:

Project
Jun 15, 2008, 02:47 PM
To be honest I don't fancy lining up if its going to take 10 minutes per customer to them activated.

Hopefully O2 can just send me one by post as an upgrade to my iPhone

davidrules04
Jun 15, 2008, 03:58 PM
Aye.

Prob will be a Trafford centre as 3 options all within a few meters.

7am start is gunna be early tho :eek:
Wow that is early, i was thinkin i might head to the arndale, i live 5 mins away, so can get their earlier, guessin you can buy it both apple stores and o2, leaving me with 2 options, cant wait, managed to end my current contract early so all is set for the iPhone.

badgerman
Jun 16, 2008, 01:54 PM
Wow that is early, i was thinkin i might head to the arndale, i live 5 mins away, so can get their earlier, guessin you can buy it both apple stores and o2, leaving me with 2 options, cant wait, managed to end my current contract early so all is set for the iPhone.

Just been to TC CWH and they also mentioned about a 7am start for selling...

ALso Apple said they were not sure about if they will sell due to the whole O2 subsidising thang.

davidrules04
Jun 16, 2008, 01:59 PM
Just been to TC CWH and they also mentioned about a 7am start for selling...

ALso Apple said they were not sure about if they will sell due to the whole O2 subsidising thang.

Yeah my local o2 store said they would start selling at 7.02am, bit exact. its a quite store and out of the city centre sounds like a gd place to try buy one from, they dont have much info about the launch, bt il ask every now and then see whats new.

monkeydust
Jun 16, 2008, 02:29 PM
i live in Newcastle but i haven't asked about the time for selling ,last year it was 6pm start. and yes 7.02am is quite exact.

badgerman
Jun 16, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah my local o2 store said they would start selling at 7.02am, bit exact. its a quite store and out of the city centre sounds like a gd place to try buy one from, they dont have much info about the launch, bt il ask every now and then see whats new.

7.02 is what they said also :confused:, but they said that the rotas were out for that day and they were not in early so will have to wait and see. I hope it is as I rec then it will mean less lines and can just go in on the day as that will be ~15hours of seeling on the 11th.

Gamst
Jul 1, 2008, 08:26 PM
What time are the Manchester Boys(and Girls??!) going to be going to the TC? I imagine the o2 shops and CPW will be the only shops open? Will they be opening an hour or so before 07:02 or will they be opening just before? If so I'm thinking the Debenams entrance will be the best bet? Any idea of how many will be queuing? The other big Apple launches were 6pm, so I'd imagine a fair few less for this one? *hopefully* :-)

davidrules04
Jul 1, 2008, 11:13 PM
i was informed today that credit checks for the iphone before launch would be available on and after the 4th July in the UK via o2.

TonyHoyle
Jul 6, 2008, 07:08 AM
The latest info I have is Market Street isn't opening early (10am start) and Arndale is 8.02am.

Was planning to go early to beat the traffic and sit in Starbucks for half an hour first (they open 7am).

Not sure about the TC.. haven't had chance to get there to find out for certain, but as it's a shopping centre they may not be able to open very early... would be good to get a confirmed time from them.

wrboyce
Jul 6, 2008, 07:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

The latest info I have is Market Street isn't opening early (10am start) and Arndale is 8.02am.

Was planning to go early to beat the traffic and sit in Starbucks for half an hour first (they open 7am).

Not sure about the TC.. haven't had chance to get there to find out for certain, but as it's a shopping centre they may not be able to open very early... would be good to get a confirmed time from them.

Interesting... I was going to walk to either Arndale Apple Store or Market St O2 Store.. Whichever is open first I guess!

TonyHoyle
Jul 6, 2008, 02:50 PM
It's unlikely the apple store will be selling them unless they've managed to sort out a way of signing people up to contracts in-store.

I asked at the TC and thay plan an 8:02 start but haven't got permission to open early yet, so it's just provisional.

Arndale O2 is the only confirmed one - they have the time on a poster in the window...

badgerman
Jul 6, 2008, 03:30 PM
Yep I will be at 02 arnie before 8am unless TC open up early as its easier to park.

abadr
Jul 6, 2008, 05:43 PM
Trying to decide which to go to myself! If TC opens early then think I'll be going there (parking).

If anyone can confirm the opening time closer to the date, that would be great. If I can pop in before (say on the 10th) I will.

wrboyce
Jul 7, 2008, 04:53 AM
The iPhone 3G will then be available for upgrade from 11th July at 8.02am in any of our O2 high street stores. Any stores in shopping centres will open at their usual times.

:-) Sounds promising

Gamst
Jul 7, 2008, 12:45 PM
Just called o2 TC, the girl said they'd be opening at 08:02 and said they 'should' be getting 16gb ones in. She said they expected a queue.

My main worry is now, which o2 shop to choose! I can imagine queuing at one for an hour, finding out all the 16's have gone, running to the other one, having to que up, only to have the same thing happen!

Another thing, will be have to wait outside if we get there at say, 7am? I'm wondering if the TC is a good idea or whether to do the Arndale, at least Starbucks is available!

abadr
Jul 7, 2008, 01:01 PM
Will be close to the TC again tomorrow I think so will stop in and ask again.

I'm looking for a 16GB version too, so fingers crossed.

Gamst
Jul 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
Will be close to the TC again tomorrow I think so will stop in and ask again.

I'm looking for a 16GB version too, so fingers crossed.

Nice one, keep us informed :-)

I called Ashton-Under-Lyne o2 today, they are opening at 8:02, but NO 16GB's apparently :-(

davidrules04
Jul 7, 2008, 01:47 PM
Nice one, keep us informed :-)

I called Ashton-Under-Lyne o2 today, they are opening at 8:02, but NO 16GB's apparently :-(

whats with the lack of 16gb everywhere i was gonna order online until i went to and the only available was the 8gb i hope my local o2 shop is stocking them i dont want to waste my money on the 8gb the extra 60 is so worth the 16gb. *fingers crossed* ey soo excited:D

Gamst
Jul 7, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm finding it hard to get exciting when it's looking more and more unlikely I'll get a 16gb! :-( I'm dreading queuing up and ending up disappointed! I'm also worried about the credit check, even though I always pay bills on time and always have, I have gone over my overdraft at the end of the month for a few days, quite often lately! :-s

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but what should be excitement is more stress and nervousness at the moment!

TonyHoyle
Jul 7, 2008, 06:15 PM
Just called o2 TC, the girl said they'd be opening at 08:02 and said they 'should' be getting 16gb ones in. She said they expected a queue.

My main worry is now, which o2 shop to choose! I can imagine queuing at one for an hour, finding out all the 16's have gone, running to the other one, having to que up, only to have the same thing happen!

Another thing, will be have to wait outside if we get there at say, 7am? I'm wondering if the TC is a good idea or whether to do the Arndale, at least Starbucks is available!

There's also (shudder) CPW...

Between 2 o2 and 2 CPW and an apple store (possibly) there must be a 16gb somewhere in the TC on Friday morning.

I don't think the queue will be that long.. it's all hype right now. So what if there's 20 people waiting? That's only 20 phones... and they'll have more than that.

If the 8:02 is confirmed for the TC I prefer that just for the parking... manchester can be a pain. OTOH Manchester has Starbucks, as you mention..

Decisions, decisions...

Project
Jul 8, 2008, 04:35 AM
Well this is a bit of a minefield isn't it?

I'm choosing the city centre over TC.

But then there is 4 O2 stores and about 6 CPWs in fairly close proximity.

I'm thinking CPW Fallowfield might be a good bet too...

Will be doing my homework tonight.

Anybody know which stores are definitely opening at 8.02am? I only know of the arndale O2 store

TonyHoyle
Jul 8, 2008, 05:24 AM
Best thing is to go there or phone them. 8:02 is the official start time but not all shops will be able to make that.

Market Street may have changed their opening time after the 8:02 became official also, but I wouldn't bet an iphone on it..

abadr
Jul 8, 2008, 11:40 AM
Ok, for those interested I stopped in at the TC today, and spoke to staff at the following:

o2 store:
Opening 8:02
Not sure if they're getting 16GB in stock
Upgrading not a problem

CPW:
Opening 8:02 but apparently trying for 7:02
Said they might be getting 16GB in but claim above made me think this was less likely
Upgrading OK

Apple store:
Apparently they don't even know if they'll be selling the phones in store yet

Will be heading here on Friday. If you see me say hi ;) and don't push in or i'll throw a sony ericsson at you.

Gamst
Jul 8, 2008, 11:44 AM
Still no confirmation on 16GB is very very annoying! It's going to be a wasted trip and day off for my if they have none!

TonyHoyle
Jul 8, 2008, 01:02 PM
True. If there's no 16gb it will be a waste of a trip out.

Gamst
Jul 8, 2008, 01:10 PM
Called the Apple store in the TC after this post http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=513207 mentioned The Apple Stores selling them to new customers. He didn't know anything and told me to keep checking the UK website. Would be great to be able to use the Apple store!

uman
Jul 9, 2008, 08:23 AM
Just went to o2 Manchester Arndale centre. I was concerned how we can get to o2 store if Arndale only opens at 9. But he said that Arndale will be open early morning and we can come from the main entrance. I also pushed him to tell more about the iPhone stock that will be coming and although we was rather reluctant to say anything and that they have no idea how much the stock they will be getting, but on further pressing him he did admit that 16Gb iphone will the most difficult to get and there is a possibility that only big o2 stores such as the one in TC might be getting it.

Not sure what to do now, i live only 5 mins from Arndale but to go to the TC i will need to take the 250 Bus and early morning that could be busy.

TonyHoyle
Jul 9, 2008, 08:41 AM
The Apple stores at arndale and trafford centre have cleared their schedule for Friday, so it's looking good.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/manchesterarndale/
http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/traffordcentre/

It's only new signups there, but they're likely to have more stock.

wrboyce
Jul 9, 2008, 08:47 AM
Just spoke to my mate who manages an O2 store. 31x 8gb and 6x 16gb. It's not a Manchester based store, and it's pretty small - but it's a good guideline for stock.

There are, what, 3 O2 stores in Manchester City Centre? You'd assume they'll all get more stock than this store. I don't see the stock being that much of an issue to be honest..

TonyHoyle
Jul 9, 2008, 09:44 AM
6x16gb is an issue if 50 people turn up wanting one. It's a very small number considering the size of this launch.

Just affirms that I need to be there when the doors open.

wrboyce
Jul 9, 2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah, 16gb may well be an issue - I suspect the Manchester stores will get more than 6 each, and there are a few of them..

As for being there when the doors open - I think you'll need to be there atleast an hour before they open!

Gamst
Jul 9, 2008, 10:27 AM
Called the o2 shops in the TC, one of them NEVER answers, the other did. The young sounded a bit pissed off, probably been getting the same question all day. He said they are getting all iphones in and he can't discuss stock levels. Turn up at 8 or 9. He said people would be queuing, when asked what time they will open up to let people in he said just before 8. They will be arriving at 7.30am. I asked if that means queuing outside before 8, he said I wouldn't have to queue outside. On the other hand I called my nearest o2 shop(a small town centre store) and he said 16gb iphones will be out in 2 weeks! What a sham this launch is, would vodafone have done it this badly?

Gamst
Jul 9, 2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah, 16gb may well be an issue - I suspect the Manchester stores will get more than 6 each, and there are a few of them..

As for being there when the doors open - I think you'll need to be there atleast an hour before they open!

It's going to be a case of a lottery. Which shop do you go for? Imagine queuing for 30 minutes only to be told they got 5 16gb's in and now they've all gone. You run to a different store only to find 30 people in front of you in the queue.

TonyHoyle
Jul 9, 2008, 12:43 PM
Find the one with the shortest queue, and if that fails the apple store will have more stock (less stores == more stock per store).

With those numbers if there's a few people waiting at each store you'll only get chance to try your first choice + apple store.

Gamst
Jul 9, 2008, 01:18 PM
Find the one with the shortest queue, and if that fails the apple store will have more stock (less stores == more stock per store).

With those numbers if there's a few people waiting at each store you'll only get chance to try your first choice + apple store.

Do we know for sure TC Apple store are doing new contracts? Will they be able to deal with my PAC number transfer?

davidrules04
Jul 9, 2008, 02:25 PM
not happy at all no one is releasing any information, i have no idea what to do friday morning go into the city to chance gettin the 16 gb but its going to be busy or go to my local retail park and chances are not many people are going to be lined up but more likely they dont have the 16gb. the 8gb is such a waste if there is a possibility at some point i could get the 16gb. arghhh how stressing and asked arndale apple store they have no info on iphone release at apple stores.

TonyHoyle
Jul 9, 2008, 02:35 PM
Do we know for sure TC Apple store are doing new contracts? Will they be able to deal with my PAC number transfer?

According to official statements by O2 (Rather than CS staff, who make stuff up) they are.

If they're not handling PAC just do it via the o2 website after you've got the phone.

wrboyce
Jul 9, 2008, 03:26 PM
It's going to be a case of a lottery. Which shop do you go for? Imagine queuing for 30 minutes only to be told they got 5 16gb's in and now they've all gone. You run to a different store only to find 30 people in front of you in the queue.

For you, perhaps - I'll be going into the O2 store with the staff, safe in the knowledge I am at the front of the Queue :-)

Gamst
Jul 9, 2008, 04:04 PM
For you, perhaps - I'll be going into the O2 store with the staff, safe in the knowledge I am at the front of the Queue :-)

How are you managing that, pray tell ;-)

Gamst
Jul 9, 2008, 04:20 PM
Oh and does anyone have any idea which entrance I should start queuing at, at TC? I'm assuming they won't open all the entrances and don't want to be stood waiting at an entrance that won't open! :-)

TonyHoyle
Jul 9, 2008, 04:44 PM
Oh and does anyone have any idea which entrance I should start queuing at, at TC? I'm assuming they won't open all the entrances and don't want to be stood waiting at an entrance that won't open! :-)

I usually try to go up the ramp and and end up somewhere near selfridges.. nice and central. If the ramp/underground is closed (which is a possibility) I've no idea where I'll end up.

Adam Clark
Jul 10, 2008, 12:31 AM

The chap at the Trafford Centre Apple Store that I spoke to earlier in the week said that although they open at 10 o'clock, they already take appointments from 7 o'clock, so he thought that the centre must usually be open by that time even though the shops aren't.

As for the entrance, I would also go for the entrance near Selfridges, from the upper car park level. I think that's the nearest one to the Apple Store.

:)

Gamst
Jul 10, 2008, 01:55 PM
Update from my phoning the TC tonight:

o2 1:no answer for the 5th time this week

o2 2:Will be getting a 'couple' of 16gb's in. Was very abrupt and rude, told me to get there 'early' Didn't really feel like asking him to expand on 'a couple' since I am fed up of dealing with people like o2 workers. It is only since I have to that I choose to shop there. Nobheads.

Apple: ASof 7pm ish the guy hadn't recieved any information, but recommended I call back between 9 and 10pm. Was very cool, well mannered and intelligent(do they pay the Apple store workers the same as o2 workers?! They are a million light years ahead of them in evolution) and we had a laugh when I told him I was reluctant to have to go to o2.

So I guess I'll goto the Trafford centre at 7am. My localish shop (very small branch of o2 in Ashton) couldn't be Arsed answering the phone between 4pm and 5pm so I guess TC is my best best, unless someone has checked out the Arndale and they seem more positive!

Almost beginning to wish I chanced an order with Carphone Hoehouse!

badgerman
Jul 10, 2008, 03:22 PM
Dont bother with CPW, they have handfulls at the bigger ones (Market st/TC) and none in Stockport!

Any news on Apple in TC?

TonyHoyle
Jul 10, 2008, 03:27 PM
7am it is then... then we can all scream in horror together when they announce no 16gb...

Apple will have more, so if O2/CPW let us down I just go there. I'm upgrading technically but I reckon if I start a new contract on the 3G there must be some way for O2 to transfer the number afterwards (even if I have to use a PAC).

Gamst
Jul 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
7am it is then... then we can all scream in horror together when they announce no 16gb...

Apple will have more, so if O2/CPW let us down I just go there. I'm upgrading technically but I reckon if I start a new contract on the 3G there must be some way for O2 to transfer the number afterwards (even if I have to use a PAC).

Has Apple in the TC confirmed they will be selling? I haven't been abl to get through for the last hour but as of 7-8pm they STILL didn't know.

Gamst
Jul 10, 2008, 03:44 PM
EDIT: Just got through, they still don;t know. "Keep checking the website"

That is of little help when it'll be an early night tonight to get up early tomorrow! Ah well, I guess it'll be a quick check of the website before leaving tomorrow!

istanbul05
Jul 10, 2008, 05:30 PM
What time will the Arndale open? I am hoping Apple sell the white version, so i can buy it there.

TonyHoyle
Jul 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
EDIT: Just got through, they still don;t know. "Keep checking the website"

They don't know? At 9pm the evening before they're supposed to start selling it? :eek::eek::eek:

That's the kind of thing I'd expect from O2, not Apple.

sparkybpotter
Jul 10, 2008, 05:44 PM
Anyone happen to know how many O2 Stockport are going to have??

Right now i'm thinking Manchesters best bet.

MagicBoy
Jul 10, 2008, 05:49 PM
Anyone happen to know how many O2 Stockport are going to have??

Right now i'm thinking Manchesters best bet.

I was wondering that - live about 3 mins walk away...

Might end up taking a trip to the TC :(

Project
Jul 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
keep the thread updated guys with queue numbers, availability etc

I'm getting down there for 7am and if I don't come away with a 16GB upgrade I will be pretty pissed off.

Will get up earlier if I need to... so keep us updated!!

davidrules04
Jul 10, 2008, 07:52 PM
gettin to my local o2 and cpw store for 7.30am im gonna chill in sbux for a bit keep an eye on lines forming if any form hopefully none will mwhahaha : P im gettin the 16gb one way or another ive hatched a plan its goin very well so far :) keep updating guys, any lines form let us know where and how many.

Adam Clark
Jul 11, 2008, 12:27 AM
I was wondering that - live about 3 mins walk away...

Might end up taking a trip to the TC :(

I was going to try Stockport - O2 and 3 Carphone Warehouses. Then I managed to order a 16GB iPhone 3G yesterday lunch time from the Carphone Warehouse website. According to City Link's tracking page, it's on its way as I type!
:)

Project
Jul 11, 2008, 12:46 AM
^ I'm jealous.

Leaving out in about 15 minutes for Manchester.

Pennine
Jul 11, 2008, 12:51 AM
any lines forming? Yet

Gamst
Jul 11, 2008, 01:47 AM
Around 12 at Apple, there were 10 at both o2 shops an hour ago and 1 at each CPW. That's the Trafford Centre!

TonyHoyle
Jul 11, 2008, 03:46 AM
There were about 30-40 people at the ones I saw. Average time per person I reckon is about 5 minutes (it's about 20 minutes but there are about 4 people in the store doing contracts). At that rate there will still be a reasonable queue about lunchtime...

Oh, and O2's network crashed about 5 minutes after the doors opened and they had to resort to paper..

badgerman
Jul 11, 2008, 04:00 AM
CPW are allowing ordering in store for guaranteed delivery (home or store) tomoz (16gb as sold out) and are doing upgrades in store.

tony22
Jul 11, 2008, 04:32 AM
and it's moving very slowly due to a slow system. They've done about 2 in the last hour. it's so rare each successful customer is getting a round of applause.
maybe will get one today.

davidrules04
Jul 11, 2008, 05:26 AM
i have my iphone but sim card not been sorted out yet no service until later today or tomoz, itunes is syncing but its being really slow im worried something is wrong any1 else had any problems with itunes?

Project
Jul 11, 2008, 05:31 AM
Anybody queue up in the city centre? What a shambles. Absolute shambles.

TheChillPill
Jul 11, 2008, 05:56 AM
I managed to get one from the o2 shop opposite WH Smith in the trafford centre.

When I got there just after 8am, there were around 30/40 people ahead of me in the queue (similar queue at the other store).

After about an hour, staff came out and stated they had run out of 16Gb models, at which point half the people left the queue. 5 minutes later, staff came back and said they'd just received a delivery of more 16Gb :-o

Felt really sorry for those that had left the queue, having presumably been stood there well over an hour.

Seems like they had good stocks of the 8Gb though.

No service on mine as yet, but I guess that is down to systems being down and backlogs.

Gamst
Jul 11, 2008, 06:11 AM
Been sat in the apple shop since 8. Got the phone in front of me. The system won't pass the credit check due to o2 servers crashing. 3 people have got their phones in 4 hours. Been here since 6.30. Very tired and need a beer! Feel sorry for apple store staff they are very frustrated but doing a fantastic job! Got to play with a phone, the white is very nice, but prefer black. Why weren't o2 prepared for this?! I hope their service is good because this is a PR nightmare!!

Apple stores are also having to use IE on vmware, o2 are not letting them use macs.

tony22
Jul 11, 2008, 06:41 AM
hopefully!

Karvel
Jul 11, 2008, 06:45 AM
Apple stores are also having to use IE on vmware, o2 are not letting them use macs.
Haha! Honestly...

Gamst
Jul 11, 2008, 07:20 AM
hopefully!

You in Trafford centre Apple Store? Got mine and having a beer to celebrate adding 'Stanley' to the Apple!

MagicBoy
Jul 11, 2008, 07:23 AM
You in Trafford centre Apple Store? Got mine and having a beer to celebrate adding 'Stanley' to the Apple!

How's the stock levels looking?

davidrules04
Jul 11, 2008, 07:28 AM
my iphone is everything but a phone atm with the network down im just waiting on o2 to get their service up and running used a couple of apps its gd stuff i just wanna get online set up mobileme whenever that arrives and start usng gps, geo-tagging and just phone someone on it. so mega :D o2 manchester fort was the place to be got their at 7.30 was 3rd in line and was out by 10.30 with the store opening at 10 thats pretty damn gd got my 16gb 35 tariff.

parkyy2k
Jul 11, 2008, 09:27 AM
Think I went the best place, CPW West One. It opened at 10am, I was first there at 9am. Got a 16gb, they only had 3 in stock and the first 3 in the queue got them. Wohooooo. Went Trafford centre about 11am and 02 and the Apple shop were soooooo mad busy!!

davidrules04
Jul 11, 2008, 04:49 PM
iphone has connection 3g is ago now the real fun starts congrats to all those that got an iphone today happy :apple: iphoning

goffski
Jul 14, 2008, 02:56 AM
Got my White 16gb after spending pretty much the full day in Apple TC. There were only about 17 people in front of me but they were unable to process the contracts, so everyone was basically sitting about waiting. Apple staff were spot on and we were looked after. So finally after waiting around 6.5 hours i finally walked away with my new non-working iPhone! I'll be on to o2 today and hopefully get it sorted.

parkyy2k
Jul 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
Ghezz I can't believe you had to wait that long at the apple store!