PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City, UT

ootdoo
Jun 14, 2008, 07:10 PM
Anybody waiting it out at the Apple store at the Gateway?

cornopaez
Jun 14, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'm in. What time sound wise?

gusapple
Jun 14, 2008, 08:37 PM
I'm in. What time sound wise?

Actually, go to any AT&T Store. I went to the one in Sandy last time at around 4:00 and still got within the first 20 people. That was when it came out at 6.

S Brake
Jun 14, 2008, 09:53 PM
There is an ATT store accross the street from my place in Pleasant Grove so I'll just head on over there.

mduser63
Jun 14, 2008, 10:43 PM
I'll be at work during the day, but will have my brother hold a spot in line for me, and will be there around 5:10 or 5:15 (after work).

brandonzar
Jun 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
sorry I'm new at this waiting in line thing, but what time does it officially go on sale 6 am or pm?

mduser63
Jun 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
sorry I'm new at this waiting in line thing, but what time does it officially go on sale 6 am or pm?

I'm not sure I've seen it for the iPhone 3G, but the original iPhone came out at 6 PM (the idea being that people could get off work and go buy it).

Fuizer
Jun 16, 2008, 01:28 AM
Im in, however I don't have AT&T yet, so I might have to head to one of their stores and figure out what im doing. Then again, maybe I'll just go to the Gateway and wait in line dreaming of fast internet speeds and GPS! I only hope that the SDK will lead developers to flash support and bluetooth file transfers!! I'm also stolked about Slingbox for the iPhone due this fall. Forget AT&T tv.

What time are you all thinking of showing up? AT&T stores and the only Apple store?

gusapple
Jun 16, 2008, 08:35 PM
What time are you all thinking of showing up? AT&T stores and the only Apple store?

Seriously, if you can, go to an AT&T Store if you are switching. It will be way more personalized. The Apple Store is probably going to be way bad. Believe me, I went to an AT&T Store for the first one and got good placement. Guess where you will find me this time? Same AT&T Store. :)

appleaddict9021
Jun 24, 2008, 10:09 AM
So if it's a PM release, there will be no need to sleepover to have a place in line? Several hours before the release is sufficient? :eek:

gusapple
Jun 24, 2008, 09:03 PM
So if it's a PM release, there will be no need to sleepover to have a place in line? Several hours before the release is sufficient? :eek:

That depends on if you want to get the experience or not.;)

Fuizer
Jul 1, 2008, 02:08 PM
So I guess people will be camping out now that there is a 8 AM release...

optophobia
Jul 2, 2008, 06:01 PM
So lets do it - Gateway Apple Store.
Arrive Thursday night, late.
Bring beverages ;) music, and any other entertainment.(I'll bring my fire juggling balls)
Maybe we should get KRCL to broadcast live from the street so we can be entertained too.

Oh and of course bring your current generation iPhones, so we can send Twitter updates.

Then Once the store opens, get in, make the purchase, then go to work to play with new toy all day.

LittleJon
Jul 2, 2008, 06:20 PM
im in Layton and thought about going to the SLC apple store to purchase the 3g but im about 2 miles from a AT&T store. An at&t rep says im eligible for the 199/299 but online it says im not eligible for an upgrade so im torn between going to the at&t store or going to the apple store, gonna call my closest at&t store tomorrow and see what they tell me about being eligible.

Tankgunk
Jul 2, 2008, 10:45 PM
I can't decide if I should go to the nearest AT&T (~90 miles) or the nearest Apple store (~150 miles to The Gateway). Either way it's going to be a long drive...

EDIT: Just realized that it's odd that I don't have a local AT&T store, but I have AT&T (not partner) service here. That's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere.

LittleJon
Jul 3, 2008, 06:40 AM
I can't decide if I should go to the nearest AT&T (~90 miles) or the nearest Apple store (~150 miles to The Gateway). Either way it's going to be a long drive...

EDIT: Just realized that it's odd that I don't have a local AT&T store, but I have AT&T (not partner) service here. That's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere.

You must be south past Payson or something, not an exciting drive.

brandonzar
Jul 3, 2008, 01:40 PM
Has anyone heard about how popular the launch is going to be here in Salt Lake or have some experience to share from last year? I would really prefer to sleep in my bed and stroll down to the Gateway around 7:45, but I really want to make sure I can get a black 16 GB phone. I called the AT&T store and the guy there said they are expecting about twice as many people as they had last year, but he didn't say what that was based on.

Also does anyone know if the bookstore up at the U of U will have them for launch?

LittleJon
Jul 3, 2008, 02:49 PM
i was kinda wondering the same thing, on the 10th and 11th i plan on driving by my closest at&t store through the night to see if theres a line forming or not, if so i'll pack up my lawn chair and ipod and join em.

gusapple
Jul 3, 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm just planning on camping out. I just am worried that there will be problems with that. This is because I remember that during the original iPhone launch, some people were kicked out of the line because you couldn't stay overnight. I think that might have been New York, however.

optophobia
Jul 3, 2008, 03:30 PM
Did anyone here go to the Gateway store last year ? And if so how was it, how was the line, and did they have enough phones ?

gusapple
Jul 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
Did anyone here go to the Gateway store last year ? And if so how was it, how was the line, and did they have enough phones ?

I'd check this forum out. it's from last year's iPhone launch.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=319169&highlight=iphone+launch+salt+lake+city

koolkeat
Jul 7, 2008, 12:29 AM
So lets do it - Gateway Apple Store.
Arrive Thursday night, late.
Bring beverages ;) music, and any other entertainment.(I'll bring my fire juggling balls)
Maybe we should get KRCL to broadcast live from the street so we can be entertained too.

Oh and of course bring your current generation iPhones, so we can send Twitter updates.

Then Once the store opens, get in, make the purchase, then go to work to play with new toy all day.

I'd check this forum out. it's from last year's iPhone launch.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=319169&highlight=iphone+launch+salt+lake+city

i'm in for camping out.
but if you check last years thread...
some guy got kicked out of the gateway the night before that tried to sleep there.
if were gunna do it lets do it right.
someone needs to check with the apple store and with the mall security.
and i say we get like 25 people there.
with me, optophobia and gusapple...
that makes 3.
who else is in?

optophobia
Jul 7, 2008, 12:12 PM
i'm in for camping out.
but if you check last years thread...
some guy got kicked out of the gateway the night before that tried to sleep there.
if were gunna do it lets do it right.
someone needs to check with the apple store and with the mall security.
and i say we get like 25 people there.
with me and optophobia...
that makes 2.
who else is in?

Sounds good. If anyone gets any info from the Apple Store or Mall Security, please post.

koolkeat
Jul 7, 2008, 05:31 PM
Sounds good. If anyone gets any info from the Apple Store or Mall Security, please post.

I made a call to the apple store this morning, and they said last year the people that got kicked out of the mall just moved the line from the front of the store to the back, where its city property.
if we absolutely needed to we could just do the same.
i might head out to the mall tonight...
and if i do i'll see if i can talk to someone with security.

Fuizer
Jul 8, 2008, 11:29 AM
Well it sounds like there is a jolly bunch that is going to be camping out the night before, lets just hope too many people don't show up at 6 pm the day before haha. If I am camping out I want to at least be near the Apple Store and not stringed in the line back to the Old Navy store. So I agree lets meet up late Thursday night and party until 8 am! Lawn chairs, dvd players, beverages, the works. See ya all there!

gusapple
Jul 8, 2008, 11:43 AM
Just a note: I don't want anybody to get to the Apple Store, only to find out they can't get an iPhone there. If you are an existing AT&T customer, without an iPhone, you must go to the AT&T Store. You, however, are in luck. There is one five seconds (and by seconds I mean minutes) down the street if you walk. If you drive there... Well, just don't try to drive through the Gateway, traffic is always bad. :)

utah-mac
Jul 8, 2008, 03:43 PM
I went to the Apple store today and they said they have talked with Gateway security and that they are going to accommodate the line. He actually said they are "going to make waiting in line a fun experience." He made it sound like they were going to have entertainment or something. I was not sure what that meant. So it sounds like they wont be kicking people out this year.

onelegtwoshoes
Jul 8, 2008, 11:58 PM
This sounds great! I will definitely be there!

The Viking
Jul 9, 2008, 12:56 AM
Just a note: I don't want anybody to get to the Apple Store, only to find out they can't get an iPhone there. If you are an existing AT&T customer, without an iPhone, you must go to the AT&T Store.

That's not necessarily true: A recent story here on MacRumors refutes that. Enterprise customers (where the company is paying) have to go straight to AT&T.

I was just going to head into an AT&T store early Friday, but a call from a friend who works at the store, as well as this discussion, has me wanting to camp out.

weewee
Jul 9, 2008, 09:19 AM
a

optophobia
Jul 9, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hey guys;

Just wondering if anyone going to wait in line overnight at the gateway would do me a favor. Im in Europe for the summer and my iphone got picked out of my pocket in Rome! ;( very frustrating but oh well. One of my friends is leaving salt lake to europe on saturday, would anyone pick up an extra 16 gig for me and drop it off to her so she can bring it to me? she will pay you on the spot, and then I will western union or paypal you $75 once she has confirmed everything with me. I'd ask her to do it but she and none of my other friends over there are going to wait in line over night! bah!

Anyways, let me know if anyone is willing, Id have to add you as an authorized user to my att acct temporarily.

If not, thanks anyways!

um, I don't think its gonna happen bud.
1 phone per customer. And to line up all night for $75 ? I'd rather get an iPhone 3G:rolleyes:

OK so what time is anyone thinking of heading to Gateway ?

cybereal
Jul 9, 2008, 11:47 PM
I went to the launch of Leopard, and I think their idea of "making it fun" was to hand out free sodas. Admittedly, that was kind. But, I don't expect much more than that.

Also, I doubt that, what with the higher bar of entry (18, decent credit, etc.) that there will be many people. Seems like showing up at 6am will suffice.

I can't imagine something less fun than sitting around a bunch of sweaty nerds all night long, outside, at the gateway...

weewee
Jul 10, 2008, 01:35 AM
um, I don't think its gonna happen bud.
1 phone per customer. And to line up all night for $75 ? I'd rather get an iPhone 3G:rolleyes:

OK so what time is anyone thinking of heading to Gateway ?

figured just as much. but... friend bringing a new sim card, going to try to get it activated on a phone in belgium or italy wich both carriers supposedly will not be internationally unlocked but $625 euros for 16 gig ;)

Fuizer
Jul 10, 2008, 07:04 PM
So I talked with Gateway security today, about an hour ago and there is no camping out period at the Gateway, you can only show up when the Gateway opens which is at 6:30 the guy told me, until then you would have to camp out on the block west of the Gateway (the grassy median thing). So whoever thought they were going to camp out in front of the Apple Store tonight, I'm sorry but you are going to get kicked out, so much about that other post and having entertainment or anything. So what sucks about this, you could camp out all night on the grassy median, but then get beat to the Apple Store window at 6:30, there is no guarantee that by camping out you will have a good place in line, what I would do is show up at 6:20ish and then start the couple hour camp out. All I can say is Gateway security is no good, they should just allow camping for one night for the iPhone's sake. AHHH!

Hope this helps anyone and saves there time. However if anyone from last year camped out on the grassy median, how did you organize a line if it was informal??

gusapple
Jul 10, 2008, 07:53 PM
I heard some guy at the AT&T Store say that there were already 100 people there as of yesterday, is this true?

The Viking
Jul 10, 2008, 07:56 PM
So I talked with Gateway security today, about an hour ago and there is no camping out period at the Gateway, you can only show up when the Gateway opens which is at 6:30 the guy told me, until then you would have to camp out on the block west of the Gateway (the grassy median thing). So whoever thought they were going to camp out in front of the Apple Store tonight, I'm sorry but you are going to get kicked out, so much about that other post and having entertainment or anything. So what sucks about this, you could camp out all night on the grassy median, but then get beat to the Apple Store window at 6:30, there is no guarantee that by camping out you will have a good place in line, what I would do is show up at 6:20ish and then start the couple hour camp out. All I can say is Gateway security is no good, they should just allow camping for one night for the iPhone's sake. AHHH!

Hope this helps anyone and saves there time. However if anyone from last year camped out on the grassy median, how did you organize a line if it was informal??

CRAP. OK, see you tomorrow, guys.

Fuizer
Jul 10, 2008, 08:17 PM
I heard some guy at the AT&T Store say that there were already 100 people there as of yesterday, is this true?

Which AT&T store?

optophobia
Jul 10, 2008, 09:17 PM
wasn't there overnight camping on the west side of gateway last year ? Anyone ?
I am going to head there for a driveby at around midnight and see what the scoop is. I will post info. Also if anyone uses the twinkle app with twitter then we can communicate that way.

Fuizer
Jul 10, 2008, 09:38 PM
wherever the camping was last year it was on city property

Fuizer
Jul 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
I am going to head there for a driveby at around midnight and see what the scoop is. I will post info. Also if anyone uses the twinkle app with twitter then we can communicate that way.

That sounds awesome, thnx!

optophobia
Jul 11, 2008, 12:04 AM
went there at 9.30 pm tonight.
there was about 6 peeps in line on the grass around the west side.
the store had just closed.
i'll be there early in the AM.
anyone else going, send a twitter update via twinkle to let us know how it is.

Fuizer
Jul 11, 2008, 12:36 AM
nice, thanks for the update. If I had an iphone I would keep you updated.

mduser63
Jul 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
Well, unfortunately, due to my leaving town tomorrow combined with needing to work in the morning and Apple's change from a 6:00 PM launch to 8:00 AM, I won't be there tomorrow. I may try to pick one up in Seattle over the weekend, I don't know. More likely, as much as I'd like to be at the launch, I'll just get one in the coming weeks.

optophobia
Jul 11, 2008, 07:31 AM
so. In line now. Probably less than 200 people here now. Looks promising. The news van arrived and is parked opposite.
If anyone wants to say hi, I am in black with a radar on my t-shirt.
Anyone else here in line ?

drkstar
Jul 11, 2008, 11:50 AM
so. In line now. Probably less than 200 people here now. Looks promising. The news van arrived and is parked opposite.
If anyone wants to say hi, I am in black with a radar on my t-shirt.
Anyone else here in line ?

Any new updates?

Thanks!!

taylorutah
Jul 11, 2008, 11:59 AM
The AT&T store downtown is out! I was there at 10am. There is still a line for ordering, but no phones. Are there phones at the Apple store still? How's the line?

drkstar
Jul 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
The AT&T store downtown is out! I was there at 10am. There is still a line for ordering, but no phones. Are there phones at the Apple store still? How's the line?

Just got a report from my friend who just arrived and at 11:00 am the people at the head of the line outside have been waiting for 5 hours... he says apple employees are showing the 3g iPhone to the people in line...

optophobia
Jul 11, 2008, 12:15 PM
I am in line still at the apple store. I am now about 25th and got here at 6.30am. There are probably 200 or more people behind me. They say they have plenty but the line move very slowly.

taylorutah
Jul 11, 2008, 12:43 PM
thanks for the update. Let us know if you get the phone.

taylorutah
Jul 11, 2008, 01:22 PM
optophobia, do you have a twitter account? Would love to follow the progress down there via twitter or similar. :D

optophobia
Jul 11, 2008, 02:39 PM
optophobia, do you have a twitter account? Would love to follow the progress down there via twitter or similar. :D

I got my 16gb white one at approx 12.20pm.
Still about 200 people in line and they estimated it takes about 3 hours.
They still have PLENTY of ALL models.

Good luck all.

Oh and I didn't have to activate mine in store. They said I could just do it at home !!!!

taylorutah
Jul 11, 2008, 02:50 PM
thanks for the update!

Fuizer
Jul 11, 2008, 05:25 PM
I arrived at about 3:30 this morning to the Gateway and there were probably 100+ in line for the Apple store and no one in line for AT&T, so I made that line at about 4:20. I was second! The line for the AT&T store stretched from the doors to the megaplex escalators right before the doors opened at 8. There were a good 100+ in line. As to stock, bad news. The AT&T store had upwards of 40 units while the Apple store had upwards of 1,600! Talk about one sided, to say the least there were some pissed people in my line. Congrats to all that got their new iPhone 3G!

The Viking
Jul 11, 2008, 07:43 PM
After the nightmarishly slow line (my friend and I showed up at 5:30 and didn't get out till after noon), I was appalled at how uninformed the staff at the Apple store were.

I wanted to upgrade my 2 iPhone lines to 3G; simple, right? They could not have made it more difficult. They were friendly and as helpful as you could be without training or a clue as to what they were doing.

There was no one from AT&T there, and no one ever called AT&T for help; it was the blind leading the blind.

They tried to port my wife's number from AT&T back into AT&T, and were baffled as to why it kept failing.

Then, they forced me to open a new line with a new number, and said that AT&T would fix it. So I was stuck with 3 lines on my family plan for 2 people!

Luckily, I went to an AT&T store this evening, and found a knowledgeable store manager who shook his head at how badly this was mishandled, and got to fixing the huge mess they'd created.

Shame on Apple for not having the people, training, server uptime, or foresight to make this work even a tenth as smoothly as it did last year!

taylorutah
Jul 11, 2008, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know how the iPhone 3G inventory is shaping up at Gateway? I want to go down in the morning and try and snag one.

koolkeat
Jul 12, 2008, 01:39 AM
Does anyone know how the iPhone 3G inventory is shaping up at Gateway? I want to go down in the morning and try and snag one.

the apple store availability thing on their site says all models are in stock at the gateway.

optophobia
Jul 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
anyone looking to sell their old iPhone PM me.