Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2008
so yeah my ipod touch connects but only when it is right infront of the router, the antenna is good and the signal strength is there but it says unable to connect. This is annoying that i have to be right next to my router to download apps. ANY IDEAS?? HELP PLEASE!!

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
Do you use a laptop or any other wireless device regularly with your router? If so then then it is prob. a defect with the iPod touch...

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
EDIT: Ok, I just found your previous thread from March 08, stating you had the 'greyed out' Wifi problem.
Presuming this came about through no fault of your own, I would definatley contact Apple Support.

You don't pay $399+ for software to malfunction and cause inoperability.

Sounds like your iPod touch has had a malfunctioning Wifi module from
the very start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It could be just as simple as the grade of router you have. If your running a router which emits a 802.11b/g signal, then iPod touch should be working just fine.
However if your router is emitting an 802.11n signal then iPod touch will either not recognize this router, or may connect and keep constantly dropping the connection.

iPod touch only supports b/g grades of Wifi, currently. Wireless N is faster than b/g but not supported. I myself have a router capable of accepting
all three grades (b/g/n). Obviously iPod touch currently uses Wifi with the b/g channels.

Other things to try include:

- Going to a different physical place which is WIFI-enabled (i.e. McDonnalds, An internet cafe) and try connecting your iPod touch to their network.
See if the problems persist. if you are still getting a very weak signal, I'd contact Apple.

International Apple Inc Support Numbers: http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

R-Fly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.