PDA

View Full Version : 5th Ave, 14th St or SoHo Apple Stores New York City, New York

italiano40
Jun 14, 2008, 07:17 PM
Can't wait to get my iphone 3g hope i am first in line

avigalante
Jun 14, 2008, 07:28 PM
This should be changed to "5th Ave." as opposed to "5th Street". The former runs North to South while the latter runs East to West.

I understand that most members on this forum know that the store is located on 5th Ave., but nonetheless the correction should make it clearer for all members.

newyorksole
Jun 14, 2008, 07:36 PM
You should just make it general, meaning (5th Ave, 14th St or SoHo Apple Stores)

Would be cool to be at any one, but I think I'll just be on the Island.

JPIndustrie
Jun 15, 2008, 10:49 AM
Shouldn't we have separate threads for each store?

Each store is at least a train ride apart. :)

I wanted to try my luck and pick mine up at like 4 AM at the 5th Ave store, but I don't think I can wait. I'll be driving home from NJ, so I hope Garden State plaza has it.

BenAir
Jun 15, 2008, 04:56 PM
Do we know at this point what time they'll be releasing the phone?

I have a plane to catch at 12:30pm out of LaGuardia and I'm happy to stand in line at 5th avenue with my luggage but... if it's 6:00pm again, the release time will not be early enough for me.

Guess I could head to an AT&T store once I get to DC and hope they're not out of phones.

Slevin
Jun 16, 2008, 05:03 AM
Do we know at this point what time they'll be releasing the phone?

I have a plane to catch at 12:30pm out of LaGuardia and I'm happy to stand in line at 5th avenue with my luggage but... if it's 6:00pm again, the release time will not be early enough for me.

Guess I could head to an AT&T store once I get to DC and hope they're not out of phones.

Probably be 6pm like last time. Gives the news outlets a story for the day, since they don't cover the war in detail any longer, and it gives Apple free press coverage. Although the lines this time won't be as long, only the more rabid for the new iPhone will jump in line.

born4sky
Jun 16, 2008, 07:06 AM
why they launching it so late

3goldens
Jun 16, 2008, 09:14 AM
to be a pain in the ass!

bytethese
Jun 16, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hmm, I'm still undecided on whether I'll get one or not. Last year I took a half day and waited at an AT&T store near City Hall and had fun with the other waiting. I've got some Steve Miller tickets on July 11th that I can't pass up but I'd love to read some postings on my current iPhone regarding the happenings at the NYC Apple stores. :)

edtorious
Jul 4, 2008, 10:52 PM
Can't wait to get my iphone 3g hope i am first in line

you got beat!

http://www.geardiary.com/2008/07/04/let-freedom-ring-iphone-3g-style/

LMAO! :p

mrat93
Jul 7, 2008, 04:03 PM
I'm gonna try 14th St, then 5th Ave, and if I have to, SoHo. I'm going to work with my dad so we'll be going at 8PM. Hopefully they'll have some black 16gb's left!

illjazz
Jul 7, 2008, 09:59 PM
Well.. we now know Apple is also launching at 8am. I'll be in Manhattan starting at 7pm Thursday night. I would have no problem going to an AT&T store, but I have an Apple gift card with $40 on it and I also still have the early-adopter coupon with about $60 on it. Anyone know if those ever expired? I hope not :/

Looks like I'll be trying the cube, then SoHo if that fails. The cube seems like a terrible, terrible idea.. but it should be exciting at least.

Victor ch
Jul 8, 2008, 05:53 AM
I might join you guys, Im in NY 'till the 14th so I'll prolly get the 3G one here. I will only qualify for one if Im getting the flull plan right? no pre-paid or pay-as-you-go?

Victor

thisgoesto11
Jul 8, 2008, 11:07 AM
Assuming I'm there on time and have a decent place in line, does anyone think I could make it to work by 9am?

And does anyone think they'll sell out of black 16G's by the end of the day?

And does anyone think launching this on a non-holiday Friday morning suck for people that actually have jobs?

Oh, and does anyone want to buy a 16G First-Gen iPhone for $300? :D

illjazz
Jul 8, 2008, 06:03 PM
Assuming I'm there on time and have a decent place in line, does anyone think I could make it to work by 9am?

Depends on which store (and I mean both Apple store vs. AT&T store as well as geographical location) you go to. I, for example, fully expect to still be in line past 9am as I'll be at the cube in NYC. Even though I'll probably get in line at around 5am, perhaps earlier, perhaps later.. I just don't think I'll even get to an Apple rep before 9am. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but better to err on the side of caution rather than on the side of optimism.. it helps reduce frustration and disappointment. At least that's how I see it.

The simple answer: it's impossible to tell.

And does anyone think they'll sell out of black 16G's by the end of the day?

Again, it depends heavily on what store you'll go to.

Personally, I think the answer is no. The 16GB phone is $299. That's a full $100 premium over the 8GB iPhone, for nothing but 8GB more in storage space (pretty crazy, if you ask me, but it's Apple style pricing). The point is: I think the 8GB iPhone 3G is going to be--BY FAR--the most popular version among the totality of iPhone 3G customers. Personally, I'm going for the black 16GB model, but that's only because I have $100 worth in a combo of gift card/early adopter coupon.

Again, short answer: depends on store you go to but in general: no.

And does anyone think launching this on a non-holiday Friday morning suck for people that actually have jobs?

Answer? Probably. But why would Apple care? Either way, they're poised to sell a ******** of iPhone 3G's. Besides, they're obviously not just going to sit on their ass and wait for a holiday... duh.
If you don't have a job, I don't see how you can afford the price of an iPhone 3G, complete with what it will cost you throughout the contract period, unless, like me, you're a student :D

Point being: you're not alone here. In fact, you're in the overwhelming majority. I'm guessing that at the very least, 90% of iPhone 3G buyers will be professionals. The rest will be students and other groups. (Wild guess there).

Oh, and does anyone want to buy a 16G First-Gen iPhone for $300? :D
Finally, a question where I can give only a short answer: NO.

avigalante
Jul 11, 2008, 06:27 AM
I'm at the SoHo Apple Store as we speak!

#40!

3goldens
Jul 11, 2008, 07:43 AM
anyone on line or been thru process at 5th avenue store that can givr stock status would be appreciated......

kvknowsfun
Jul 11, 2008, 10:09 AM
the ATT store I was at this morning sold out (43&lex) and now I want to hit up one of the main apple stores. any idea what the stock is like? have they run out yet?

Sholmesbk
Jul 11, 2008, 11:26 AM
anyone know what stock is looking like at any of the apple stores in NYC?? am I foolish to wait until after 6 PM?? I'm not counting on any of the AT&T stores having any...

didn't think this would be an issue when they made the release announcement a month in advance... oh well..

thechidz
Jul 11, 2008, 11:34 AM
anyone know what stock is looking like at any of the apple stores in NYC?? am I foolish to wait until after 6 PM?? I'm not counting on any of the AT&T stores having any...

didn't think this would be an issue when they made the release announcement a month in advance... oh well..

I think you will be fine at the 5th ave store. seems like they have enough stock. the lines are very long but should die down later tonight. I wish I could get mine there but I am a corporate customer... hates on att:mad:

Sholmesbk
Jul 11, 2008, 11:55 AM
I asked at my local att store this week if My girlfriend and I would be able to EACH purchase a phone on the same Credit card, they assured me that we could, but to be honest I don't know if thats true. since it looks like I will be going to the apple store this afternoon does anyone know if I will run into any problems purchasing both on the same card.
we are new customers and will both be present.. any help would be much appreciated.
thank you

bigjnyc
Jul 11, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think you will be fine at the 5th ave store. seems like they have enough stock. the lines are very long but should die down later tonight. I wish I could get mine there but I am a corporate customer... hates on att:mad:

I just passed by and the line is around the corner and down to madison avenue. hopefully it will die down and they'll have stock left. otherwise i'll just swing by tomorrow.

thechidz
Jul 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
hey jim, whats up?:cool:

I'm uploading videos of my attempts to get an iPhone today here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdFnYfq80uc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yW7Zo0EguY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOcvxxJKMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4SQ8csfZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4SQ8csfZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAWrafKI658

bigjnyc
Jul 11, 2008, 12:20 PM
hey whats up,

i'll make sure to check out your videos and keep us posted :D

drkstar
Jul 11, 2008, 12:21 PM
hey jim, whats up?:cool:

I'm uploading videos of my attempts to get an iPhone today here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdFnYfq80uc

Thanks for the citizen journalism !!!!:apple:

curses
Jul 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGVn99unhUo Fifth Ave

zerotl
Jul 12, 2008, 01:21 PM
Do you still have to queue up for an iphone at these locations? Tempted to head to Manhattan from Jersey City if you don't have to line up, maybe today or tomm.

andrewjnyc
Jul 12, 2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'd love an update on the NYC stores and whether or not they've settled down enough yet to make quick qalk-in purchases possible...

vabigpoppa
Jul 12, 2008, 11:23 PM
i went at 2pm today and the line was still down to madison ave almost, not sure how if it died down later in the day

theNEOone
Jul 13, 2008, 12:10 AM
Nope, it didn't die down - it got shut down. Not sure why though.

I went to the 5th Ave store in the afternoon and there was still a 2-3 hour wait so I decided to head home and try again at 1-2 am. I just called the store and was told that the line was closed and that they weren't selling any more iphones, but would re-open the queue at 2am and start selling phones again at 7am. When I asked why they were doing that, the response I received was "Sorry, but I can't say."

Uhh....I ate this secrecy crap.

I'm pretty happy with my v1 2.0 upgrade, so maybe I'll just wait until next week.

thechidz
Jul 13, 2008, 01:04 AM
walked by 5th ave store after a party tonight... line was small but they sad sold out. people were waiting for a 5 am refresh:eek:

honus
Jul 13, 2008, 01:33 AM
Went by the 5th ave store today at around 8 pm. They had closed the line because they had 2.5 hours worth of people and the AT&T servers go down at midnight. So anyone else had to come back tomorrow at 7 am.

I was also there last night around 1 am. Some employees were saying they ran out and some were saying the AT&T server story. I'm pretty sure the AT&T server story is the truth.

That is right, the 24 hour Apple store can't sell 24 hours because AT&T servers go down. But does Apple put this info on their web page so I don't waste my time at 1am? No. And they didn't seem to be ready for it last night, it was complete chaos, with them trying to hand out vouchers to the people who had been waiting for 3 hours and were now being told to go home. But some people were complaining that they were waiting and didn't get a voucher. The voucher was supposed to let you by pass the line when you came back.

zerotl
Jul 13, 2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the updates guys, I guess I'll wait a couple of days.

slightly
Jul 13, 2008, 08:46 AM
Anybody going to (or at) the 14th St store today (Sunday)? Wondered if that might be less busy, since it's out on the west side.

Matt

Ted13
Jul 13, 2008, 10:25 AM
Anybody going to (or at) the 14th St store today (Sunday)? Wondered if that might be less busy, since it's out on the west side.

Matt
Matt,
I haven't been there so no first hand info -- but "less busy, since it's out on the west side." Have you been in that neighborhood lately? It is a perpetual tourist laden mob scene.

andrewjnyc
Jul 13, 2008, 12:51 PM
Took my second run at the 14th St store (the first ws on Friday morning). The line didn't look too bad--200 people tops--but it was moving fairly slowly and the line-minders from Apple kept telling us we were in for a six-hour wait. I waited an hour and the heat got to be a bit much for me, so--I'm not ashamed to admit it--I tried to pimp my poor health in the hope that they'd take pity on me and let me skip he line. "I have cancer, I just got out of the hospital two weeks ago and I thought I had the stamina for the wait, but I don't"--all 100% true, but not enough to get them to cut me a break. They offered to let me wait inside the store in a chair while my mom (who was with me) stood on the line, but that was the best that they could do for me. I'm thinking my best bet would probably be getting to either the Soho or 14th St store at like 6:30 or 7 tomorrow or tuesday. I'll have to wait awhile, sure, but it'll be cool and the line won't be moving--all key for me right now.

Ted13
Jul 13, 2008, 02:41 PM
~3PM, line still going half way down the block on Madison (at the 5th Ave. Cube). Smaller line just to get in the store.

Guess I'm waiting a couple of weeks to get my iPhone...

Billy M
Jul 13, 2008, 03:43 PM
drove by 5th ave store this morning, maybe 915am or so, was told there's a 3-4 hour wait, line went almost to madison, right by that side entrance to FAO.

so i kept driving, went to short hills mall, and they were waiting for customers, in and out in less than 45 minutes (including apple messing up my name on the credit application and port request)

definitely a good use of my time.

FYI, they only had white 16gig iphones when i was there this morning...

jax80
Jul 13, 2008, 06:46 PM
Just went to the 5th ave store at 7pm and they had already closed the line around the front of the building...they plan to close.. at midnight (as AT&T's activation servers go down) and re-open at 7am

I also went to the 14th street store at 3pm ..and they had closed the line for new customers to finish the remaining customers in the store (as they figured it would take as long as the store would remain open today).

RIDICULOUS!

thechidz
Jul 14, 2008, 01:11 AM
Just went to the 5th ave store at 7pm and they had already closed the line around the front of the building...they plan to close.. at midnight (as AT&T's activation servers go down) and re-open at 7am

I also went to the 14th street store at 3pm ..and they had closed the line for new customers to finish the remaining customers in the store (as they figured it would take as long as the store would remain open today).

RIDICULOUS!

I MIGHT actually try my luck this morning at the 5th ave store. I want a white one anyway and I will be doing some errands by that time

jax80
Jul 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know if there is a line at the SoHo store this morning? I want to go around noon, but not sure if it will be as crazy as its been.

krye
Jul 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
On launch day I figured there was no way I was going to get an iPhone. And after I got out of work I really wasn't in the mood to sit in line for 4 hours. Anyway, my wife got home around 6:00 and reassured me that there will be more than enough to go around. We checked the stock online and all was good. She said we'll go to the mall tomorrow and we'll pick up a couple of iPhones. I was psyched.

Saturday, we went to the Palisades Mall in Nyack, NY and got in line. There were about 40-50 people in front of me. I was in line while my wife took the three kids to the Lego store and to bring me back a cup of coffee. Anyway, half an hour later the manager came out and said they were out of 16G Black iPhones. So I jumped off the line and we split to the Apple store in Tice's Corner, Woodcliff Lake, NJ.

As soon as we pulled up I knew it was bad news for us, seeing as there wasn't an iPhone line anywhere to be seen. A few customers inside, but no more than any other day. I walked in and asked them if they had any iPhones stock. The employee said they sold out. I asked what was up seeing as the website last night said they were good to go. She said, yeh, at 9:00, but they kept on selling them for hours after that until they ran out. Booooo! I asked her about the Garden State Mall. She said they were sold out too. No iPhones for us.

That night, after much boo-hoo'ing from me, my wife said, "Let's get up early with the kids tomorrow and go to the 5Th Ave store!" Needless to say, I was sold on the idea.

So we got up Sunday morning, got the kids ready and headed out the house. We got to the Apple store at 11:00 AM. We stood in line for 2:30 hours and got in. It was pretty hot, but worth it. The kids were good boys, pretty patient . We asked a lot of them by standing in line with us, but we made it fun for them. So they did alright. And FAO Schwartz was right there so my wife got off the line at the 2 hour mark to take them inside. She met me in the Apple store half an hour later. The store was packed. The activation thing only took 5 minutes and we were out of there. A fun experience to be part of the hysteria. There had to be at least 200 people in there.

The trip was fun. The kids were excited as it was their first time in the city. (I have three boys. Twin 4 year olds and a 2 year old). Anyway, here are some pics of the crowd....

1:30 on a Sunday afternoon.
http://gallery.mac.com/ryemac3/100264/100_2166/web.jpg

2:00 after leaving the store with 2 new iPhones
http://gallery.mac.com/ryemac3/100264/100_2170/web.jpg

All 4 corners of the store were this packed, and the two areas in front of and behind the staircase too. Pretty busy for a lazy Sunday!
http://gallery.mac.com/ryemac3/100264/100_2138/web.jpg

We were up until 1:00 AM last night tinkering with the iPhones and filling them up with music, pictures, etc. The iPhone is awesome, and well worth the wait.

bigjnyc
Jul 14, 2008, 09:33 AM
just walked by 5th avenue store 10:15am. the line wraps around in front of the store its about 100-150 people. anyone have an update on soho or 14th street?

jax80
Jul 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
just walked by 5th avenue store 10:15am. the line wraps around in front of the store its about 100-150 people. anyone have an update on soho or 14th street?

I would like to know the same. Thanks

zerotl
Jul 14, 2008, 09:59 AM
Got to the 14th street store around 9:45 am today, stood around for 30 minutes and I moved like 3 feet, the guy working the line said from my position on the line it's still atleast a 3 hour wait, I"m like no thanks. Around 10:10 the guy said they've only done 12 customers, so an hour for 12 people and I'm like number 60, I'll pass.

So I guess I'll wait a couple of days to a week, please update this to whoever goes. Thanks

lianjie
Jul 14, 2008, 10:23 AM
Any word on the AT&T stores in Manhattan? I heard they were getting daily shipments, but I'm sure they sell out fast.

mypoorfriendme
Jul 14, 2008, 10:31 AM
Any word on the AT&T stores in Manhattan? I heard they were getting daily shipments, but I'm sure they sell out fast.

both AT&T stores I went to today (Brooklyn, Time Square) were sold out and said maybe they would get a shipment today, but I was better off coming back tomorrow.

lianjie
Jul 14, 2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm hoping I can get in a decent wait time at the apple store <=2 hours, or sneak into an at&t store sometime this week.

jax80
Jul 14, 2008, 11:18 AM
Just called two AT&T stores downtown (528 & 217 Broadway) ..neither have them in stock

newyorksole
Jul 14, 2008, 11:52 AM
For those who got the 16GB for 299, how much did it cost with tax? Around $324 right?

Bush438
Jul 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
Went by the 5th ave store today at around 8 pm. They had closed the line because they had 2.5 hours worth of people and the AT&T servers go down at midnight. So anyone else had to come back tomorrow at 7 am.

I was also there last night around 1 am. Some employees were saying they ran out and some were saying the AT&T server story. I'm pretty sure the AT&T server story is the truth.

That is right, the 24 hour Apple store can't sell 24 hours because AT&T servers go down. But does Apple put this info on their web page so I don't waste my time at 1am? No. And they didn't seem to be ready for it last night, it was complete chaos, with them trying to hand out vouchers to the people who had been waiting for 3 hours and were now being told to go home. But some people were complaining that they were waiting and didn't get a voucher. The voucher was supposed to let you by pass the line when you came back.

Does anyone know if this is a nightly thing?

jax80
Jul 14, 2008, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know if this is a nightly thing?

Yeah--they're going to do it at night until the line stops....they really just shut down because AT&T's activation servers shut down...until AT&T can figure out a solution (which is probably never as they expect the demand to die down)

lianjie
Jul 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hey all,

I spoke with one of my friends who works at AT&T in Manhattan. She said they pretty much sell out everyday before noon.

She did tell me though that you can place an order for the iPhone, and they will call you when it comes in. It would take roughly 3-7 days to come in since its a direct order. However if you do this, you cannot cancel the order after its made because you get charged anyways. So while you are guaranteed a phone with no waiting lines, it does come at the cost of waiting a few extra days to a week, when it may even die down by then. Hope this helps.

illjazz
Jul 14, 2008, 01:21 PM
Wish I'd had my original iPhone the night of Friday. I would have given you guys streaming updates straight from the 5th Ave store. It was crazy.. but worth it. I had dinner with a friend in Little Italy, then we headed to 5th ave around midnight or so. We were told the line was closed and that AT&T had shut down activation servers because they were overloaded and working on fixing it. The apple guys were horribly disorganized.. we asked the first guy near the entrance to the store about what's going on, and he said the line was closed and they're reopening it at 6AM. Then we went into the other corner where the line began and asked a guy there.. he said they're reopening at 7am and that he had no problem with us getting in line at all. So we get in line.. and, within minutes of us getting in line, the line got longer by 30+ people behind us.. good timing, I guess? Not even 10 minutes later, we'd already moved up all the way to the corner of 5th ave and were chatting with the people in our vicinity about everything that was going on. I was dishing out tips and general iPhone knowledge and answer questions.. not because I'm an expert or anything, but I am a blog-addict and had religiously been keeping up with Macrumors, the iPhone Blog, Macworld's iPhone blog, etc.. basically, I could answer just about any question they had. Anyways!

We wait for about 45min.. and then Apple guys come out and go around announcing news. They are going to start a count at the front of the line and make a group of those people they can help set up by 3am. I asked one rep if they pulled the 3am out of their ass.. after all, why 3am? She said that was the time they decided was best based on how much iPhones they had left in stock, how quickly they could get people up and running, etc. I said ok and we waited a bit longer.. then they said that everyone who won't be in that first group, (so basically the rest of the line after the cut-off point), will get a voucher. With that voucher, you could return any time after 7am on Saturday and skip whatever main line there is and go straight inside. I figured hell, that's awesome! That voucher was a game changer.. I mean, you could just come back and skip any line in front of the store, no matter how long. Sweet! Getting the voucher was even better than being part of that first group :).

So we get the voucher, the line kind of falls apart, and a huge crowd forms right in front of the doors of the store. I'm still on the sidewalk, waiting patiently to see what will happen next. What happened next was kind of crazy.. a group of about 7 people or so decided to bumrush the store! They simply went in the doors and just about ran over the fat Apple rep who was at the top of the stairs with his arms spread out trying to hold the people back.. they didn't care and he had to give in. I saw that group giddily jog down the stairs as the rep up top breathed out heavily and held his head in frustration. Really bizarre.. freaking retards. Everyone outside was just like.. "um, do they really think they're getting phones if they rush the store like that?"

The huge crowd stayed outside for quite a while as nobody could figure out wtf was going on. The Apple boys were bad at handling the situation.. they should have had one guy get up front and yell out exactly what the deal was--but no such luck. After 15 to 20min of standing around pointlessly and not knowing what was going on (and at this point it seems the news of how the store was dealing with customers changed continuously, which I figure is why everybody was sticking around), this big bald guy in black shirt came out and started yelling really loudly, telling people that they were done for the night, and that they can come back any time after 7am. REALLY loudly. I thought the guy was great.. finally somebody took it upon himself to tell people wtf was happening. He got the people to back up from the doors and I decided to grab my friend and leave with our vouchers.

Back up one day.

We weren't going to make the same mistake as Thursday night, when we went home to pass out.. Thursday night at midnight, we ate dinner at a Sushi place in SoHo after we'd checked out the situation at the cube. The cube had (I counted!) just about 30 people in line. In other words.. NOTHING. We also looked at the SoHo store, which had, I kid you not, 6 dudes waiting in line. If we'd gotten in that line then and there, we would have been among the first people in NYC to get iPhone 3G's.. but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I was exhausted, we went back to his place on Wall St. and passed out.. by the time we got up, (8ish 9ish), pandemonium had begun already. AT&T stores were sold out, there were lines hundreds strong at all Apple stores in NYC.. we even called around at AT&T and Apple stores in New Jersey, but basically got the same story.

So.. with nothing to do, we decided to simply go check out the insanity. We rented a Mini Zipcar and drove to the cube, then SoHo. The lines were insane, going all the way around blocks..

Back to Friday night and vouchers.

Chronologically, this is where the first paragraph should be.. so now, we leave with the vouchers, walk around the block and figure let's go hit a bar, get drinks and simply wait til about 6AM, then head back and be the first in line with vouchers. As we walked around the block, my friend was very skeptical and frustrated. He was saying how they only gave us the vouchers so they could get us to leave and reduce the chaos around the store. I was much more optimistic and said the vouchers were the real deal. We are coming back in the morning and are going to be among the first to get in. Still, his comments worried me.. because after all, what was going to keep Apple reps from coming out half an hour after we left and giving every body outside another round of vouchers? Right? So we go back.. I ask an Apple rep "What's up with the vouchers? Are you going to just hand out more in a little while?" and she said "No. The vouchers was a one time thing. No more vouchers tonight." And we were set, free to go!

We tried to find a bar around the area but failed. Looks like it's just too expensive to run a bar around there.. it was all stores. So we cabbed it to Times Square, went to an Irish pub, then hopped and checked out two more places where we were told they were done for the night.. (it was getting late, we were wearing shorts!).. we walked by Niketown and were stupefied to see people camping out there as well. I crossed the street and asked wtf they were waiting for.. they said sneakers! I was like.. srsly? People camp out overnight for SNEAKERS? But then I figured they'd probably think we were crazy camping out for a phone...

Eventually, stuff closed around 4am and we started strolling back to the cube on foot. Got some coffee and bagels at one of the food carts and went to the store. There was a huge line already and this is 4:30AM/5ish. Since we could skip the line, we just sat on the steps right in front of the doors ahead of everybody else. I have some pics of that that I'm about to push up on Facebook. I can try and post them in here too. There are two cool pics of my literally lying on the steps right in front of the store, all by myself, with a huge line next to me.. haha :).

We waited and waited and got ever closer to 7AM. Around 6:30, stuff started happening.. the Apple reps, orange shirts, blue shirts, just as lost and disorganized as a handful of hours ago, were running around discussing tactics of how to handle the the morning. They set up metal barriers by the left side of the store, zig-zag airport style. Then they changed it all around and took all that down and made one straight line of barriers going around to the left of the stairs near the sidewalk. It was all freestyle crowd management. They obviously had no experience with that kind of thing. Finally, the actual crowd management began.. and I overheard this woman saying something like "this whole group behind me has vouchers!".. and I'm just like.. WTF. RETARDS! We were all told, very clearly, that we could skip the whole line if we had vouchers. Here we were, sitting on the steps, thinking wow, we're the only ones here with vouchers? We're gonna be first in line! And suddenly.. we realize there are at least 30 or so people at the head of the line, all with vouchers. We were pissed. Oh well.. whatchagonnado. We hang around on the steps and then a rep says everybody with vouchers stay at the top of the line, and move back. We show our vouchers and are squeezed right behind the barriers at the very beginning of the line! Nobody complained. I don't think they could complain, considering I had been in plain sight, having waited for hours on those steps. It's possible I'd beaten most of the people in that group to it.. in any case, nobody said a word about us getting in at the start of the group. Good.

Apple reps are discussing, discussing.. finally a blue shirt decides they're going to take chunks of 5 people at a time out of the voucher group and move them into said metal barrier line. I made sure I'm very prominent at the front of the group, and managed to be part of the very first group of 5. I ended up third in line of the voucher group, with my friend maybe 4 people behind me. Doing good! This is about 6:20AM.. we waited patiently for another 40min, observing craziness like a BMX ramp having been set up in the right-most lane in front of us and this BMX guy pulling crazy stunts on it. The people were talking to him, requesting tricks, etc.. he was really good! Didn't crash once and pulled off some crazy stuff. One slightly sketchy looking guy showed up at the side of the line and asked if he could go in the store. Apple reps tell him not really.. unless he plans on buying something other than the iPhone. I suppose he just wanted to go in and take a look around.. but at that time of day? That's NYC for ya. They tell him no and he gets all pissy, throwing profanities at them and say "I buy stuff at your stores all the ****** time!".. a big black Apple bouncer guy shows up and basically tells him to watch his language as he walks off.

Finally, 7AM. Perhaps a few minutes late, they let us in and I'm right at the front of everything, walking down the glass steps. All the Apple retail employees are looking up at us on the stairs and smiling and clapping. Applauding our arrival! I came down the steps and just went "Thank you, thank you" hahah.. joking around of course. I think I didn't do it clearly enough because they kind of missed the joke. Oh well :)

Right away, we were taken into the front of a line and were individually directed to a second Apple guy to help us set up our purchase. It all went very smoothly from there, though it definitely took about 15min to finish. I actually had the great idea of recording a video of the whole process and stuck my point and shoot cam to the chest-strap of my backpack. Sadly, I ran out of space on my SD card about halfway through.. before we got to the part where the rep opened the box, applied the screen protector I'd picked out for me (and did a good job too!) and thanked me for being in such a good, patient mood. I asked how it was for them, and he basically said it was hellish. I asked if the employees had gotten their iPhones yet.. and he said nope. If they want iPhones, they have to stand in line just like everybody else! I couldn't believe it.. but was told "it's fair". I couldn't disagree. Amazing. But picture that.. you're touching iPhone 3G's ALL DAY long, starting at 7am, and it's likely you've been there long before 7, and you don't have your own device yet. That's what hell must look like in Apple-land.

They couldn't apply my early-adopter coupon to the purchase, but gift cards were accepted just fine. I wasn't told why the early adopter coupon couldn't be applied, but was assured that I could still use it for other purchases, but not for the iPhone 3G. Oh well. At least I still have the coupon and it's still worth something :)

There you go. That's my ridiculously long story of how I got my iPhone 3G.

Update1:
My original iPhone's battery had died earlier Friday afternoon.. so this entire time, I was completely phone-less. I even had 2.0 on it already and had downloaded some apps :/. My friend's Nokia N85 or whatever had also died later that night.. so we were both phone-less..
Earlier that day though, I must say one thing was really helpful in gauging the situation and making a plan: calling Apple stores directly. I called the 5th Ave store at least three times, and even though most of those times I apparently had about 7 or 8 callers ahead of me, the wait was never long. They must have been short calls. So once I got through, my question was always the same, and simple: "Do you guys have a huge line outside?" Each time, the answer was yes. "How are you guys doing on stock? Do you still have 16GB models, both black and white?" I was assured they still had plenty. And this is Friday afternoon.. conclusion: the 5th Ave store must have had thousands upon thousands of phones which, as it turns out, made it a great store to try and get an iPhone during this launch. Yes, you may have had to wait forever, but at least you could be certain that they would still have iPhones, despite having had hundreds upon hundreds of people before you go in and make purchases. I'm sure they received new shipments before we got back there in the morning as well.

numb120
Jul 14, 2008, 01:31 PM
just passed by the SoHo store after eating lunch (~1pm) and the people in the front of the line said they had been there for 3 hours.

does anyone know what time the first (or first 10) people lined up at either SoHo or 14th this morning so they could be in and out when the store opens?

If someone could please clarify this... the 5th ave store is NOT selling the phone 24-7? If you could verify this, would you happen to know at exactly what time they stop the line?

(the apple site should really clarify all of this)

illjazz
Jul 14, 2008, 01:37 PM
just passed by the SoHo store after eating lunch (~1pm) and the people in the front of the line said they had been there for 3 hours.

does anyone know what time the first (or first 10) people lined up at either SoHo or 14th this morning so they could be in and out when the store opens?

If someone could please clarify this... the 5th ave store is NOT selling the phone 24-7? If you could verify this, would you happen to know at exactly what time they stop the line?

(the apple site should really clarify all of this)

I asked about this on Friday more than once. They confirmed that they sell iPhone 3G's around the clock. They can do activations any time provided AT&T servers are up and working. If you want to make sure, give whatever store you're interested in a call. It's the easiest thing to work, and the information is guaranteed to be accurate coming straight from the source. I can attest to that being true.. worked for me. When I asked this, however, I asked them right there at the store.

To sum up: if AT&T activation servers are up, you can get iPhone 3G's at the 5th Ave store around the clock, any time.

thechidz
Jul 14, 2008, 01:50 PM
great story liljazz... I just gave up today and ordered one from my att store on the upper west side. I really hope it gets here this week but am not holding my breath:(

numb120
Jul 14, 2008, 02:29 PM
thanks for your answer and the entertaining story illjazz... crazy what you went through... i think u actually went through alot more than was necessary to get yours, with the whole car rental and all... lol. you are a true apple enthusiast.

do you or anyone else here know first-hand what time people started lining up this morning at either 14th or prince street?

grimslade
Jul 14, 2008, 02:48 PM
Amazing story. Amazing, too, what people will do for a phone!

Anyone know what the situation is currently at meatpacking or 5th ave?

lianjie
Jul 14, 2008, 02:52 PM
According to posts from Twitter, "5th ave. apple store still has a line that looks the same as it did on Friday."

numb120
Jul 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
ok we all know the 5th avenue store is crazy. i've eliminated the idea of getting my phone there... i think the fact that they're selling the phones around the clock makes the line that much longer.

does anyone here know what time the line started this morning (meaning before the store opened, not right now) at 14th street or soho?

grimslade
Jul 14, 2008, 03:18 PM
I just heard via twitter that the lines at meatpacking and soho are running four hours right now.

zerotl
Jul 14, 2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the update guys, and great story illjazz, you survived the iPokalypse. ;)

Anyways, I might try 14th street later this week or just preorder from an att store in jersey city.

illjazz
Jul 14, 2008, 04:25 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed the story, despite numerous typos (that I found after posting) and the lower quality, waterfall-style writing. I obviously could have structured that better and perhaps made it more readable.. but I sat down, tuned my brain to Thursday/Friday/Saturday morning, and just let it all pour out :)

I'll post the public photo album link from Facebook once the pics are up :)

The purpose of the Zipcar was just to drive around and look at the insanity that was this launch in NYC. It was quite a sight to behold.. we have some videos from the moving car. I also have a few pics and a video from the third NYC store (I forget the address, 14th W or something? No idea).. where the line was just as crazy as everywhere else. We basically saw all three NYC Apple stores that day, crazy lines at all of them, and a good number of AT&T stores as well. That same freaking day, Friday, we also drove out to Ikea in a place called "Elizabeth" in NJ because the Brooklyn Ikea didn't have what my friend wanted. That was with a Toyota Tacoma btw.. so imagine the ridiculous jump from a MINI to a monster pickup truck.. haha, it was quite the experience. Then later we got lost driving around Manattan in the Tacoma, crossed the Brooklyn bridge by mistake, etc..

It was an unforgettable time in NYC, for sure. Keep in mind.. I was only visiting! I'm originally from Switzerland but go to college in Boston. I came down to NYC via Boltbus and came back on a Jetblue flight Sunday.

I truly love NYC, and now I have a story to remember for the rest of my life. Boy.. I should tell you guys the story of the weekend before June 9th, when I was in NYC in anticipation of the rumored iPhone 3G launch that day.. wasn't exactly crazier than this story, but it can hold its own. Let's just say I was hit on like crazy by 32-year old mom and did not end up sleeping at my friend's then-home in Brooklyn (he just moved into an apt. on Wall St. 10 days ago).

Damn it I need to stop writing. I also need to move to NYC in a year, hopefully. I think I'd make for a great New Yorker :P

Update:
Btw, I also twittered as much of this as I could.. since my iPhone 2G died on me on Friday though, that whole Friday night cube story went untwittered :(. Here, anyway, in case you're curious: http://twitter.com/illjazz

lazloB
Jul 14, 2008, 04:28 PM
I stopped by the 5th Avenue store around 5PM and was told that the line has already been capped for the night. As usual, iPhone sales will reopen at 7AM.

illjazz
Jul 14, 2008, 04:38 PM
I stopped by the 5th Avenue store around 5PM and was told that the line has already been capped for the night. As usual, iPhone sales will reopen at 7AM.

I honestly can't believe it's STILL that crazy. I thought after Friday, the craziness would kind of die down... I'm very curious to see if the Boylston store (the now apparently biggest Apple store in the world!) in Boston also has a line :/.

Honestly, if you want my opinion.. if you want the iPhone 3G badly enough, (and only you know the answer to that one), the easiest way to get an iPhone 3G fast is to simply go to the 5th Ave store and get in line. Yes, you might sit there for 2, 3, 4 hours, and it will suck, I guess, but once you get it, you'll forget all about the wait. If you have that kind of time, that's your best bet. Or try to stay up to date on other Apple stores, find one that isn't open 24/7 like the cube, check availability the night before, then show up there at 5am or 6am or so.. basically early. I would guess that at this point, that should give you a good shot at being in a good spot in line.

If you want to make your iPhone purchase an event and not just a "purchase", well, the cube is it :). That's what I wanted, and the decision delivered.

Good luck to everyone!

zerotl
Jul 14, 2008, 06:10 PM
If you want to make your iPhone purchase an event and not just a "purchase", well, the cube is it :). That's what I wanted, and the decision delivered.

That's a good way of looking at it, plus I think NY itself loves the QUEUE(LINE), I mean we line up here for everything, Games, iPhones, Sneakers, Cupcakes, Burgers, Shakespeare?

thechidz
Jul 14, 2008, 06:32 PM
I think I'd make for a great New Yorker :P
\l]

I'd have to agree.

btw... do you go to Berklee? (based on your sn)

illjazz
Jul 14, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'd have to agree.

btw... do you go to Berklee? (based on your sn)
I must say, each time I go to NYC, (and this time was only my third time!), it feels strange being back in Boston afterwards. Compared to NYC, Boston is dead. Fun can be had up here.. but when you're in downtown Boston, it feels like a mouse if you imagine NYC to be a blue whale ;)

Personally, I love NYC's ridiculous size and craziness. Other visitors may get turned off or scared at the sheer craziness of the city.. I mean you really get to see some bizarre ***** in New York. Personally, I love exactly that about it. You never know what's up next ;)

Oh and no, not Berklee, but BU. My SN is a bit misleading.. it's a play on my last name and has nothing to do with jazz, really. I like jazz music though :)

djohn
Jul 14, 2008, 10:52 PM
Well, today my gf sends me a text from the Chelsea store, saying there were only around 40 people in line. Sounds great! This might be my chance!

A coworker and I take off from work a few minutes early and jump into the line around 5:45pm. The employees manning the line are generally optimistic, reminding us that the store will be open until midnight, and tell us to hang in there.

Fair enough. Coworker and I take turns going to get food, get coffee, use the restroom at Starbucks, etc.

The line was managed like this: there was a "guaranteed" line, which only had 10-20 people in it at once. As this line depleted, they would refill it with 10 or so people from the "standby" line. "Oh, with this short line, we'll be sure to hit the guaranteed line sometime soon," I thought to myself.

7pm arrives. We are eating dinner in line, kinda laughing about how silly we are for doing this.

After a while, we realize that nobody in the line has moved. Not even the guaranteed line. This went on for hours. Servers had to be down, yet no employee bothered to come tell us what was going on.

Scouts from the line start venturing into the store to check out what's going on. Apparently, there were no more than 10 Apple employees processing iPhone customers. Meanwhile, there are 4-5 employees standing around outside having a chat, 5-10 on the first floor talking to tourists about Macbooks, and so on, and so forth. After a while it just became irritating.

At one point, a scout comes back who had been watching the door closely for about a half hour.

"Guess how many people have left the store with iPhones?" He says.

"1 person."

Apple sold 1 iPhone in 30 minutes, with about 100 people waiting outside with credit cards ready. You go, Apple Retail!

Around 10pm, an employee comes over and lets another group of people into the guaranteed line. He cuts the group off a few people before us.
We are number 4 and 5 in the standby line, or something close to that.

Another half hour passes (to the best of my coffee-riddled memory). Finally, NYPD pulls up to scope out the scene. I knew that this was it. Shortly after, someone comes over to bear the bad news.

"We need to close on time tonight, my employees need to go home! Thanks for waiting! If you come back tomorrow, we still have plenty of iPhones!"

Another guy chimes in, "come back around 7, or 6...or 5"

No vouchers - just a quick, rushed apology. Nothing that could possibly make me want to come back and get in that line again.

I hope you're learning something from this, Apple. It's a complete disaster, leaving almost everyone who lines up for this thing feeling robbed of their time and patience.

Eh, I'm not really that upset. I chose to wait and I was never guaranteed a spot. But being just a few people away from that guarantee after almost 5 hours of optimistic waiting - ouch.

illjazz
Jul 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
That's total BS. I'd be pissed if I were you. You had every right to get vouchers :/. Owch.

djohn
Jul 14, 2008, 11:11 PM
Guy said that vouchers were only done over the weekend, no more.

I'd be interested to know if that's actually true.

thechidz
Jul 14, 2008, 11:45 PM
Well, today my gf sends me a text from the Chelsea store, saying there were only around 40 people in line. Sounds great! This might be my chance!

thats the chelsea store for you. they are pretty pretentious although I got really good service from the genious bar.

any word on 5th ave store tonight? are they processing orders overnight or telling peeps to come back in the morning?

caccamolle
Jul 15, 2008, 06:40 AM
anybody could guess whether I can send someone else to purchase the phone for me ?

I wonder about in store activation, may be if I gave the person my id's (drivers' license) .... any hope ?

thx

jax80
Jul 15, 2008, 07:05 AM
Just hit the SoHo apple store at 7:30am.....line already started...store doesn't open until 9am ...

Crazy!

mypoorfriendme
Jul 15, 2008, 09:26 AM
Just hit the SoHo apple store at 7:30am.....line already started...store doesn't open until 9am ...

Crazy!

how many people were there already when you showed? are you finished there yet? I'm thinking about showing up early there tomorrow morning

djohn
Jul 15, 2008, 09:54 AM
anybody could guess whether I can send someone else to purchase the phone for me ?

I wonder about in store activation, may be if I gave the person my id's (drivers' license) .... any hope ?

thx

your SS# is required to activate, though I've heard that people have successfully purchased phones without signup (personal assistants getting phones for rich folks)

JPIndustrie
Jul 15, 2008, 09:57 AM
To people who have purchased from the 5th Ave/SoHo/Meatpacking stores:

What EXACTLY is needed to upgrade and purchase an iPhone?

I'm not the account holder, but I know his SS#/address/etc, do I need his ID?

numb120
Jul 15, 2008, 10:06 AM
how many people were there already when you showed? are you finished there yet? I'm thinking about showing up early there tomorrow morning

i'm thinking of doing the same. i walked past the store this morning on my way to work (9:15 am) and asked someone at the front of the line what time he got there. he said 7. so i think that's a good time to show up. he said there were 4 people in front of him. looks like i'm goin to bed early tonight... i can't afford to ditch work like all these other people who i see standing in line mid-day :p

lianjie
Jul 15, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm thinking about hitting up AT&T early tomorrow morning before work.

jax80
Jul 15, 2008, 12:54 PM

probably about 20....i ended up not going into the line as i had work....i would say get there by 6:30-7...

zerotl
Jul 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
Just got back from 14th Street Apple Store, I got there around 9AM, an hour earlier than yesterday, it still took 4 hours for me to get to an attendant, yesterday I waited about an hour and since it didnt move, I just left.

Today, the line actually seemed to move, but it still takes 3 hours, atleast most of the line when I left was actually inside. There was a line cutter in the morning, wearing a Celtic Jersey, he was upstairs getting a phone, and the cops gave him a ticket first go round, next the tow truck came around and went with it. So he cursed everybody out, and was pissed because NYer's were just heckling him.

Anyways, I'm just happy I got it, plus I met a couple of cool people. So not bad, and they were able to port my tmobile number.

gzambran
Jul 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
Just got back from 14th Street Apple Store, I got there around 9AM, an hour earlier than yesterday, it still took 4 hours for me to get to an attendant, yesterday I waited about an hour and since it didnt move, I just left.

Today, the line actually seemed to move, but it still takes 3 hours, atleast most of the line when I left was actually inside. There was a line cutter in the morning, wearing a Celtic Jersey, he was upstairs getting a phone, and the cops gave him a ticket first go round, next the tow truck came around and went with it. So he cursed everybody out, and was pissed because NYer's were just heckling him.

Anyways, I'm just happy I got it, plus I met a couple of cool people. So not bad, and they were able to port my tmobile number.

Any idea what the stock is like there?

bigjnyc
Jul 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
Just in case anyone is thinking of going out to westchester, they are all sold in the westchester mall in white plains and in the palisades mall in nyack, My friend was just out there. when he asked if they would be getting any more they told him to check the online availability tool tonight.

berkleeboy210
Jul 15, 2008, 03:11 PM
my brother lives in nyc, and just gave me a call. he's at the 14th street store and was just about in the store. said it was still crazy.

zerotl
Jul 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
It seems like they still have everything in stock, the problem with the 3 apple stores in Manhattan is not stock but just enough people and time to deal with customers, mines was a straight port from tmo, I had all the info and still took 30 minutes

O and A
Jul 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
NO MORE BLACK 16GB at 5TH AVE!

They also only have like 5 employees actually activiating the phone. 2-3 hour wait if u don't want a black 16GB. They said come back tomorrow and check the site tonight to check availablility. Anyone know when their shipments arrive?

O and A
Jul 15, 2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah--they're going to do it at night until the line stops....they really just shut down because AT&T's activation servers shut down...until AT&T can figure out a solution (which is probably never as they expect the demand to die down)

I bet this is a BS excuse. I'm sure it has to do more with security inside and outside the store because its the only 24 hour apple store. What time do they stop selling phones in Hawaii? 6pm? I highly dooubt that.

Does anyone know if ATT stores are getting daily shipments or how long the wait is if you order one with them in the store?

jax80
Jul 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
I got to the SoHo store at a little after 4..and they had already closed the line...yesterday they closed it at 5pm they told me...such BS....either way....this whole thing is ridiculous....you would think they would implement some new policies to meet demand better...

bigjnyc
Jul 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
wow i wonder how long this madness will go on, I dont think i've ever seen this much demand and crazyness for one product. I mean with other launches you get lines the first day and such but this is getting out of hand. Not even iphone 1 generated this kind of mayhem. I remember walking into an apple store 2 days after release and buying one with no lines.

jaycrew
Jul 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
I got to the SoHo store at a little after 4..and they had already closed the line...yesterday they closed it at 5pm they told me...such BS....either way....this whole thing is ridiculous....you would think they would implement some new policies to meet demand better...

i was thinking about heading over to SoHo early tomorrow morning, but now i might just wait another week and hope demand dies down a bit

jax80
Jul 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
i was thinking about heading over to SoHo early tomorrow morning, but now i might just wait another week and hope demand dies down a bit

Yeah...im uncertain what to do either.....do you think 6am at the 5th ave store is a waste of time?

jaycrew
Jul 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah...im uncertain what to do either.....do you think 6am at the 5th ave store is a waste of time?

6am seems alright, but maybe even a little earlier since 5th avenue opens at 7am (not sure about that)?

i think the safest option is to get to a store about 2 hrs before opening - so i was thinking 7am for SoHo.

but at this point, it all comes down to whether i want to get up early and spend the time in line. i guess i'll check the availability page tonight and figure out what i'm gonna do.

otherwise, i'll wait until the middle of next week - hopefully one more weekend will take care of some of the demand and allow more stock to come in

MacMD2
Jul 15, 2008, 07:06 PM
Argghh... I have to be at work every day at 6am and don't get home till 7:30pm... each day I get excited to come home and call the Apple store to see if they still have iphones available... and each day they tell me "Yes, but we've closed the line for the night..."

tear...

When oh when will the craziness end?? I'm too impatient to wait...

newyorksole
Jul 15, 2008, 07:58 PM
I went to the SOHO store today around 5-6, don't really remember. The line was a good 30-45 people long. Don't know when they are getting shipments.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/kodypowell/soho1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/kodypowell/soho2.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/kodypowell/javitscenter.png

O and A
Jul 15, 2008, 08:56 PM
This morning iphones went on sale at 9AM at 5th avenue store. Also they had no 16GB black ones left as of 4PM and manager told me did not know if they would have a shipment for tomorrow morning.

jax80
Jul 15, 2008, 09:15 PM
This morning iphones went on sale at 9AM at 5th avenue store. Also they had no 16GB black ones left as of 4PM and manager told me did not know if they would have a shipment for tomorrow morning.

It went on sale at 9am....the 5th ave store even on the website says they start selling them at a 7am (http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/)

MisterBlister
Jul 15, 2008, 11:10 PM
I wonder if they only started selling at 9am b/c they were waiting for the shipment to come in prior to that...

I'm contemplating hitting up the 5th Ave store for the 7am (if that's what it actually ends up being) on Thursday, in NYC for a day...Any ideas when I might want to get there so I can be out by 8?

caccamolle
Jul 16, 2008, 05:11 AM
wow guys .... I tell you, Apple loves it this way. But it's a nightmare for those of us who actually need to work ! Going to the store like at 7am or earlier is pretty much humiliating...., I don't think I will tell anyone after I do it myself :)

caccamolle
Jul 16, 2008, 07:01 AM
hey guys...any updates on stock at the store ?

thx

numb120
Jul 16, 2008, 07:48 AM
as of right now, the availability update (according to apple.com) is that neither the 5th ave or 14th st locations have 16GB black iphones. does that mean that they won't have any for all of today or is there a chance a shipment will arrive sometime today?

since my girlfriend really doesn't want to do the early-morning wait, i may have to try to get in line somewhere after 7, when we get out of work. do we have a chance, or is it hopeless to get in line at that time?

caccamolle
Jul 16, 2008, 07:57 AM
oh well, I had someone go for me to check situation. Line is apparently HUGE, like in the hundreds of people. Phone are plenty available in all models, at least, according to applestore dudes.

O and A
Jul 16, 2008, 08:16 AM
All NYC Apple Stores are out of Black 16GB iPhones

I went to all 3 before they opened this morning. :( They started selling them at 7AM at 5th ave store this morning.

There was a 2 hour line at 5th ave this morning even after they announced no 16 black. According to employee in soho line was a 3 hour line at about 8 AM when i was there. Althought it didn't seem that long i guess they just don't have enough people to activiate the phones. At 14st store it seemed shorter than all the others but employee said about a 2.5 hour wait at about 830AM

[QUOTE=numb120;5835043]as of right now, the availability update (according to apple.com) is that neither the 5th ave or 14th st locations have 16GB black iphones. does that mean that they won't have any for all of today or is there a chance a shipment will arrive sometime today?

I think if they get a shipment they hold it until the next day. But thats just a guess. Would be great if someone knew when they are getting more shipments or what apple plans on shipping and manufactruing to meet this demand.

numb120
Jul 16, 2008, 09:40 AM
thanks for the update... not that i don't believe you, but can anyone verify that this statement is true? there is that ever so slight possibility that they may have received more black 16gb iphones between then and now (i really really hope).

O and A
Jul 16, 2008, 09:54 AM
thanks for the update... not that i don't believe you, but can anyone verify that this statement is true? there is that ever so slight possibility that they may have received more black 16gb iphones between then and now (i really really hope).

At all 3 stores the employees were going up and down the line annoucning no black 16GB.

But yeah if anyone can update us on if they restocked them during the day that would be awesome. My guess is that all he stores will be restocked on the same day if the phones are being shipped by air.

ninonino
Jul 16, 2008, 10:13 AM
Can anyone of u provide how many hours you waited before getting an iPhone at which store?? Do u think it's possible to get one at 5 ave store waiting like only 2-3 hours starting noon?? Thanks!

lianjie
Jul 16, 2008, 10:25 AM
I'm wondering if the apple site's availability tool is showing what their next shipment will be, the one apple is receiving today. It showed they would have 16 gig blacks in stock, but this doesn't seem to be the case as of now. So please keep us updated if you stop by the 5th ave line on their stock. I'm so tempted to wait in line at 5th ave with iPhone stock being sold out nationwide.

newyorksole
Jul 16, 2008, 10:57 AM
The Apple website last night said that my local Apple store would have no iPhones today and the site was right. Sucks though because I really want it :(

andrewjnyc
Jul 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
At this point, is it demand or in-store activation that's causing the lines? I'm skeptical that it's demand alone, but I'm open to being persuaded. In any event, this bums me out because it seems like I'm gonna have to wait a long time to get an iPhone 3G. I just got out of the hospital and am still recovering from a back surgery and just don't have the physical stamina to stand in like for maybe more than 30 mins tops. I already tried to see if my medical condition could get me out of waiting at 14th St., but no dice...I reckon I'm gonna have to just wait until walk-up purchases are possible, whenever that may be.

O and A
Jul 16, 2008, 01:08 PM
At this point, is it demand or in-store activation that's causing the lines? I'm skeptical that it's demand alone, but I'm open to being persuaded. In any event, this bums me out because it seems like I'm gonna have to wait a long time to get an iPhone 3G. I just got out of the hospital and am still recovering from a back surgery and just don't have the physical stamina to stand in like for maybe more than 30 mins tops. I already tried to see if my medical condition could get me out of waiting at 14th St., but no dice...I reckon I'm gonna have to just wait until walk-up purchases are possible, whenever that may be.

Its the activation. Takes at least 15 minutes it seems. And they only have like 6 empolyees activating phones at 5th ave.

TCorey
Jul 16, 2008, 01:24 PM
I got the 8GB this morning at 5th Ave. Showed up just before 6:00 AM (probably 5:45-ish). I was around #60-65 in line at that point. By the time the store opened the line was all the way to Madison Ave. They started selling at 7:00 AM, I made it into the store around 7:30-7:45. Waited in the line inside and was completely finished by 8:30AM.

The guy walking the line initially said that they would have 16GB Blacks. They were expecting a shipment before 7AM, but the shipment did not arrive. He came back around 6:30 stating that there would not be 16GB Blacks available, but that the shipment could be arriving later. They weren't sure.

Overall I was surprised with how easy and smooth it was. If you go early with the mindset that you'll be there for at least 2.5 hours should be good to go. Oh and 5th Ave had way more than 6 people activating phones...i'd say more like 15-20.

O and A
Jul 16, 2008, 01:37 PM
Oh and 5th Ave had way more than 6 people activating phones...i'd say more like 15-20.

Yeah in the morning they do. Mid morning and rest of the day as the store fills up they lower that number.

So they were expecting a shipment today? interesting.

numb120
Jul 16, 2008, 01:39 PM
walked past the SoHo store 10 minutes ago and it is confirmed that they are out (or running very low) on black 16gb iphones. i then called the 14th street store and they are also out of those.

anyone have any idea about 5th ave stock?

also, does 5th ave sell the phones around the clock? or is this pattern of the at&t servers shutting down at a certain time consistent everyday?

i am planning on going over there at 7pm tonight. is this too late?

viggen61
Jul 16, 2008, 01:47 PM

The activation process makes the line move slowly, but it's the demand that makes the line longer. NOBODY is going to stand in line for 2-4 hours, and more, unless they really want it, and want it now.

Think about two roller coasters at a theme park. If you assume both can handle the same # of persons per hour, yet one is the "latest and greatest", and the other has been around a while, the newer coaster will have the line, every time.

As for me, looks like I'm waiting to get on the new coaster line on an off day... ;)

:apple::apple:

jaycrew
Jul 16, 2008, 01:50 PM
The activation process makes the line move slowly, but it's the demand that makes the line longer. NOBODY is going to stand in line for 2-4 hours, and more, unless they really want it, and want it now.

Think about two roller coasters at a theme park. If you assume both can handle the same # of persons per hour, yet one is the "latest and greatest", and the other has been around a while, the newer coaster will have the line, every time.

As for me, looks like I'm waiting to get on the new coaster line on an off day... ;)

:apple::apple:

please let this craziness end next week, i want my iphone haha

lianjie
Jul 16, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'll second that motion. My friend said she'd text me when they get a shipment in at AT&T but it seems like their supplies have been depleted recently. I'm very skeptical about getting an iPhone within the next week or two.

JPIndustrie
Jul 16, 2008, 03:42 PM

50-60 people by 6:00 AM at the 5th Ave store? Sounds like an awful lot of NOBODY's! :p

jturn00
Jul 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
After wasting an hour saturday night (plus the time to come from brooklyn to manhattan), I missed out as the 14th street closed. (They said there were 6 people processing but they were taking 30+ minutes per person and then we were told that we wouldn't make it in before the store closed. I tried today at an AT&T store on 5th and they were out. I was given an option to pre-order with a wait of 10-21 days. I felt I might as well do it guaranteeing that I would get a phone and not have to wait in line. Basically, their system wouldn't even allow direct fulfillment. Now I am considering trying the 5th avenue store. (But at 2 hours, I have better things to do with my time.)

numb120
Jul 16, 2008, 05:06 PM
j turn, is the line at 5th avenue really only 2 hours? that's not bad at all.. did u find this out by going there and asking/seeing for yourself or did u call the store?

O and A
Jul 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
j turn, is the line at 5th avenue really only 2 hours? that's not bad at all.. did u find this out by going there and asking/seeing for yourself or did u call the store?

I just walked by 5th ave and asked. Still no BLACK 16GB iphones. Line was shortest i've seen it but was "2 hour wait"

gts197
Jul 16, 2008, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know when they are cutting off the line tonight?

jturn00
Jul 16, 2008, 05:33 PM

Sorry. That was a typo. I meant to reiterate a prevoius post regarding a 2+ (I forgot the plus) hours it took them this morning). I haven't checked with apple.

MisterBlister
Jul 17, 2008, 05:42 AM
FYI - I hit up the 5th Ave store last night, around 9:45, and they had already cut off the line. Though, it appears that they were fully stocked...

At least I got to hold one of the demo units and play with it

lianjie
Jul 17, 2008, 09:22 AM
Any updates on the lines and stock today?

JPIndustrie
Jul 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
Any updates on the lines and stock today?

Yeah, anyone? I'm planning to get there really really really early tomorrow.

boiledice
Jul 17, 2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, anyone? I'm planning to get there really really really early tomorrow.

I guess nobody is buying iPhones anymore... it looks like its time to visit your apple store!!!! :)

ninonino
Jul 17, 2008, 12:38 PM
i went to SOHO store yesterday at 12:30pm, and i only waited 2.5 hours to get served. I think the waiting time in SOHO store is definitely shorter than the 5 ave one. Good luck!

lianjie
Jul 17, 2008, 12:39 PM
Anyone hear about 5th ave line or if they have 16 gigs in stock?

numb120
Jul 17, 2008, 02:59 PM
i arrived at the soho store at 7am sharp this morning. i was #31. by the time 9:00 rolled around, the line was almost to houston. they let the first people in around 9:30, 2 at a time for the first two hours. when i got into the store, they had started putting more workers on activation duty. the line might be moving quicker now, but the point of all this is to tell you all that even if you are first in line at 9:00, you are in no way guaranteed to be in-and-out with your iphone in under an hour. i was #31, arriving at 7am, and it took 4 hours AFTER the store opened to get mine. i would suggest arriving at 6am for those who are trying to make it to work before 11am.

ninonino
Jul 17, 2008, 03:12 PM
My friend got an 16GB black in 5 Ave store today. And another friend spent 5 hours waiting in SOHO store today....I guess I was lucky yesterday just waiting 2.5 hours...

bigjnyc
Jul 17, 2008, 03:35 PM
wow this in store activation thing is making this whole process ridiculous. I'm sure things would have calmed down by now if you can just walk in and buy an iphone then go home and activate it via itunes.

jax80
Jul 17, 2008, 03:48 PM
wow this in store activation thing is making this whole process ridiculous. I'm sure things would have calmed down by now if you can just walk in and buy an iphone then go home and activate it via itunes.

Absolutely...you would think Apple and AT&T would do something by now.

numb120
Jul 17, 2008, 03:57 PM
the process could easily be sped up if they wanted... they were moving us in 2 at a time in the morning, with 200+ behind. bottom line... they love the line. free exposure = free advertising

numb120
Jul 17, 2008, 04:11 PM
a word of advice for those of u who plan on getting the iphone... if you're an existing at&t wireless customer, check to see if you're eligible for an upgrade before you wait in the crazy line.... my girlfriend wasn't, so the price of the phone got marked up to $499.

thechidz
Jul 17, 2008, 04:22 PM
in line at 5th ave right now. They have plenty of 8 gb and 16 gb white. Low on 16 gb black. I think the line is getting longer now but they said 3-4 hour wait.

lianjie
Jul 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
The line is still wrapping around the block? If its that long I think i'll hold off further, thats just too long of a wait. Thanks for the update

pickback77
Jul 17, 2008, 08:46 PM
Does anyone have sense of which NYC Apple Store would be the best one to visit to pickup an iPhone mid afternoon (4PM)? 5th Ave, 14th St, SoHo? Thanks.

thechidz
Jul 17, 2008, 10:57 PM
So I got in line a little after 5 and had my white 3g and was out the door a little after 10. Haven't even used my new one yet as I decided to try out the sim in my old iPhone. Not only is it working but it seems a lot faster! Perhaps because I have 3g service now I dont know. Anyway, they closed the line at 6 and were sold out of black 16 by 7.

jax80
Jul 18, 2008, 08:49 AM
Got to the 5th ave store around 4-4:30AM (seriously!) ...was near the front of the line.....by 5am the line got to be about 50 people...by 7am ...it was definitely around 200 people..around the corner to madison ave..

they were also out of black 16gb before they started.

lianjie
Jul 18, 2008, 10:51 AM
So what's the latest at the Apple NYC stores?

andrewjnyc
Jul 18, 2008, 01:09 PM
*Finally* succeeded in scoring a 16GB black beauty at the 14th St. store. Got there at around 7:45 and there were already a few dozen people in line, and I was back on the street, phone in hand, at about 12:20, for a total wait time of just over 4.5 hours. I feel really, really bad for everybody who's gonna be on that line in the heat today...

zerotl
Jul 18, 2008, 02:06 PM
Congrats, I got my iphone there too, thankfully Tuesday was a lot nicer than today, it's oppresingly hot today.

lianjie
Jul 18, 2008, 03:23 PM
Finally just got it! 16 Gig black from 5th ave apple store... whew!

caccamolle
Jul 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
Finally just got it! 16 Gig black from 5th ave apple store... whew!

congrats ....

how long was the line and what time did you get there ? any clues on stock ?

thx !

lianjie
Jul 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
The line was still just as long. From what i hear they still have every model in stock. I was there during the afternoon, so I'm guessing this was after their stock got replenished.

JPIndustrie
Jul 18, 2008, 09:20 PM
I went to the 5th Ave store today, made sure I got there nice and early as I had work, and didn't want to be that late.

By the time i got there, (around 5:10 AM), I was around no. 50-60 in line. As the time went on, more and more people joined, 20 mins after I joined, the line was all the way back to Madison.

At 5 they still have you single file from the entrance around FAO Schwartz. At 6, they start snaking you around the barricades in the front, and they began taking people 5 or 10 at a time around 7:15 AM.

I must say they had very poor line runners. They split the line at the openings for the walkways in front of the GM building, so there's plenty of open gaps. The guy waiting next to me and I counted at least 4 people who simply walked by and discreetly turned into the line at the openings. Whatevvs, if the store can't deal with it more power to them.

I finally got downstairs by 7:50 AM. You wait in a line and to go into the 'activation area' which is basically around 10-15 workers at the display laptops with PDA's to enter info. They open the phone and hand it to you. They were surprisingly cheery for 8 AM and for a task that I'm sure they're sick of by now.

Apparently, according to this store:

1. You have to be upgrade eligible. If you are an ATT customer and you're not, they can't sell you the phone - even for $399/499. This is according to the line runners, the person who activated my phone told me that 'the price that comes up is determined if you are eligible or not' - which leads me to believe otherwise, but I didn't probe.

2. You have to have your ID, and you have to be the account holder. Their PDAs are what they use to determine account info. If it doesn't check out, it didn't look like they give you much of an option except to leave.

They didn't have 16 GB black, at the time I went - which was fine 'cuz i wanted the 16 GB white.

Overall it was fun experience. BTW, one of my best friends was able to get one today at the apple store in SoHo within 1 hour of getting on line. :(

caccamolle
Jul 18, 2008, 10:29 PM
thanks for feedback guys. Looks like I am .... waiting till things get a bit better or I can send somebody else to stay in line for me.

ge3kd
Jul 19, 2008, 10:13 AM
Upgraded from an original 8GB iPhone to a 16GB Black iPhone 3G yesterday... :D Left my house a little after 5:30 am and got to the 14th Street Apple Store a little bit before 6:30. To my surprise the line wasn't very long; there were about 15 people ahead of me. The only thing I was worried about at that point was if the Black 16GB iPhone would be available even though I had checked Apple's availability page the night before. Around 8 is when the store manager came out and started briefing everyone, while at the same time started letting people go in according to how many staff members were available to do activations. I got inside around 8:30 and was back home syncing my new phone a little after 9:30... :cool:

caccamolle
Jul 19, 2008, 02:49 PM
not too bad ge3.

happy with your new phone ?

puzzledazn
Jul 19, 2008, 03:33 PM
Got my 16GB white today @ soho. Was #2 of the line, I got there around 530AM. They only had the white, which was the one i wanted. Got in @ 9AM and started acivating, left around 930. They take too long -_- but i'm happy :D

shuffiman
Jul 19, 2008, 08:43 PM
The iPhone Availability tool shows that the 5th Ave store has all three models in stock. But I just called the 5th Ave store, and the attendant said that they don't have the black 16 GB in stock, that they weren't expecting any shipments tomorrow (Sunday), and to check back on Monday. Go figure. This whole ordeal is making me want an iPhone less and less...

ge3kd
Jul 20, 2008, 01:12 AM
not too bad ge3.

happy with your new phone ?

Yep!

Jangie
Jul 20, 2008, 08:51 AM
Was at Soho today at 5:30AM or so. I was the tenth person in line. The line probably grew to 200-250 people.

7:00AM, a security guard comes out to say that there aren't any iphones in stock, despite Apple's availability website saying otherwise.

8:00AM, we learn that they have a total of two (2!) phones, one 8gb, and one white 16gb.

Basically, the website will say 'in stock' if there is even one phone available. Yeah, nobody was happy hearing that. Nobody was happy hearing that Apple wasn't going to reimburse any of us in any way, shape or form, and that the manager had no idea when there would be any more shipments of phones. Completely ridiculous. If you're in the NYC area, you also know how hot it's been this weekend... there were a lot of very unhappy people.

At this point, I'm just going to go to an AT&T store and get direct fulfillment. I thought it was stupid to wait in line even before today, and now I think it's even more stupid than before.

lianjie
Jul 20, 2008, 09:25 AM
The iPhone Availability tool shows that the 5th Ave store has all three models in stock. But I just called the 5th Ave store, and the attendant said that they don't have the black 16 GB in stock, that they weren't expecting any shipments tomorrow (Sunday), and to check back on Monday. Go figure. This whole ordeal is making me want an iPhone less and less...

Hang in there man, it's totally worth it regardless of the struggle. I haven't been able to stop playing with mine since i got it. Last Friday, at the 5th ave location, they were out of 16 gig blacks at one point but were restocked early in the afternoon. When i went back to the store at around 6 to buy a case, the line was really short, didn't even go to 58th street past the rails. I'm pretty sure the line wasnt' closed because I overheard an apple employee telling a customer he'd have to go wait in line if he wanted to purchase the iphone. So it does look like its dying down somewhat.

grimslade
Jul 21, 2008, 11:40 AM
I went to an AT&T store and ordered one Friday. No lines!

thesage007
Jul 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
Looks like the 5th Ave store got a shipment this morning according to Availability page. Set system time to after 9 PM to view "real time" availability.

MacMD2
Jul 21, 2008, 06:22 PM
thats a nifty trick... too bad the line still closes in mid afternoon... :-(

bigjnyc
Jul 22, 2008, 07:56 AM
Finally got one yesterday, but since i refuse to stand in line i drove out to westchester and picked one up at the westchester mall in white plains. I saw on the real time that they had the white one in stock so i drove over after work and walked right in, took me 10 minutes.

caccamolle
Jul 22, 2008, 08:41 AM
Finally got one yesterday, but since i refuse to stand in line i drove out to westchester and picked one up at the westchester mall in white plains. I saw on the real time that they had the white one in stock so i drove over after work and walked right in, took me 10 minutes.

wow ... smart move dude ! how long is the drive from manhattan and how about traffic ?

congrats !

NYCAVS
Jul 22, 2008, 08:45 AM
Anyone with info on how the new 3G phone works in NYC and surrounding areas (northern NJ and Westchester??? Thanks!!!!

newyorksole
Jul 22, 2008, 11:06 AM
Anyone with info on how the new 3G phone works in NYC and surrounding areas (northern NJ and Westchester??? Thanks!!!!

I used an iPhone 3G at the SoHo Apple Store and tried loading www.yahoo.com

After 25 seconds of loading, nothing came up.

bigjnyc
Jul 22, 2008, 11:11 AM
wow ... smart move dude ! how long is the drive from manhattan and how about traffic ?

congrats !

it was a smooth 25 minute drive with no traffic.:D

boiledice
Jul 22, 2008, 04:57 PM
any current update on the stock and wait time for the nyc stores ?

caccamolle
Jul 22, 2008, 08:14 PM
I was at the 5th ave store tonight around 5:45pm, line was not huge, but the word was about a 3h wait. I did not even bother to ask which phones they had ....
what a pain.

caccamolle
Jul 24, 2008, 08:20 AM
man, such little activity here.

are there so few ny macrumorians ??

or may be they all already got their iPhone.

I guess I am going to have to order it at AT&T.

mypoorfriendme
Jul 24, 2008, 09:28 AM
man, such little activity here.

are there so few ny macrumorians ??

or may be they all already got their iPhone.

I guess I am going to have to order it at AT&T.

I ordered mine on Monday. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it is going to ship for at least a couple weeks. I'd think the Apple Stores should clear about by then, but then again, lines are as long as they've ever been right now, so who knows. My friend had placed an order through the same AT&T, but then decided to wait at an Apple store and had no problems despite his AT&T order.

lianjie
Jul 24, 2008, 11:58 AM
from what i hear the lines at 5th ave are still just as long as they were at launch. Has anyone see this availability website?

http://www.topmuffin.com/3g-iphone-availability

slightly
Jul 24, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yes, and it's now broken. Apple have apparently set all data values to NULL. Subsequently(?), their own inventory page shows nothing available anywhere. Did they just cut off their nose to spite their face?

Matt

caccamolle
Jul 24, 2008, 03:11 PM
unf****gbelievable

caccamolle
Jul 25, 2008, 08:25 AM
http://www.topmuffin.com/3g-iphone-availability

back on :)

fastrichied
Jul 25, 2008, 08:47 AM
Does anyone know what the line is like at the 5th ave store?

caccamolle
Jul 25, 2008, 10:50 AM
I stopped by again last evening, around 5:30pm.

- Line was closed
- the first in line had been there 4 crazy hours

The madness continues.

In case you wondered, no I am not crazy, the 5th Ave store is on my way home from my office :) that's why I check it out often, more for curiosity though, I have zero expectation for those lines to go away any time soon.

Digm
Jul 25, 2008, 09:41 PM
Are you serious? My treo just broke, and I was thinking of going to 5th Ave. Ahh!

Digm
Jul 25, 2008, 11:31 PM
Approx. how long is it taking AT&T stores in NYC to fulfill orders?

thechidz
Jul 26, 2008, 01:49 AM
Approx. how long is it taking AT&T stores in NYC to fulfill orders?

a week

liltechdude
Jul 26, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hello fellow New Yorkers. I am going to be rolling through the city for the weekend next weekend. I currently am with Verizon, and my parents hold the account so I would need to bring them with me to the store.

I am planning to go to the 5th Avenue store, despite many reports of hideously long lines. My question is, if I were to show up at the store around 6:00-6:30AM to get in line for the phone, how many people should I expect, and how long would I end up having to wait when they start sales? I know my parents aren't going to want to wait 4 hours, so any insight on this would be great.

Also, if the other two stores have shown better lines, etc. That would be great!

Thanks

caccamolle
Jul 27, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hello fellow New Yorkers. I am going to be rolling through the city for the weekend next weekend. I currently am with Verizon, and my parents hold the account so I would need to bring them with me to the store.

I am planning to go to the 5th Avenue store, despite many reports of hideously long lines. My question is, if I were to show up at the store around 6:00-6:30AM to get in line for the phone, how many people should I expect, and how long would I end up having to wait when they start sales? I know my parents aren't going to want to wait 4 hours, so any insight on this would be great.

Also, if the other two stores have shown better lines, etc. That would be great!

Thanks

no less than 3 hours if things stay the same as last week

thesage007
Jul 27, 2008, 09:03 AM
Apparently Apple has a new system to deal with the lines from today. Check out

http://racked.com/

liltechdude
Jul 27, 2008, 02:28 PM
Apparently Apple has a new system to deal with the lines from today. Check out

http://racked.com/

That would be awesome if they are going to be using the voucher system from now on. That would make my chances of getting the phone alot higher.

noodle654
Jul 27, 2008, 02:30 PM
I got a question...

I am driving back to New Jersey from Long Island and I want to get an iPhone at the 5th Ave store. They say that they will sell iPhones up until 11:30PM. I plan to get there at about 10:30PM. They restock at night, so whats the chances of me getting one late?

liltechdude
Jul 27, 2008, 06:11 PM
I got a question...

I am driving back to New Jersey from Long Island and I want to get an iPhone at the 5th Ave store. They say that they will sell iPhones up until 11:30PM. I plan to get there at about 10:30PM. They restock at night, so whats the chances of me getting one late?

Well they do sell them up until 11:30PM but the problem is, I think they close the lines/vouchers around 5:30PM just because by then, those people getting there at 5:30 won't have theirs in their hand until 11:30. So I don't think you would be able to do that.

Best thing to do is probably get there early and wait an hour or two in line, and just do what everyone does, be patient.

Arturing
Jul 28, 2008, 07:29 AM
Went to the Short Hills store yesterday at 10:00 AM, no line, the store was empty they had all the phones in stock, got two 16 G black and was out by 10:15. They plenty of phones in stock.

netdog
Jul 28, 2008, 07:46 AM
My brother got his very quickly on Sunday at the 5th Avenue store in NYC, though their procedure did require him to return briefly in the afternoon.

He explains the system that they are using here. (http://massengale.typepad.com/venustas/2008/07/apple-giveth.html)

shuffiman
Jul 28, 2008, 09:52 AM
I had the most awesome experience at the 5th Avenue store yesterday. As pretty much all New Yorkers know by now, the lines at all three stores in NYC have been insane -- at least 3 or 4 hours, regardless of the time of day, and the day of the week, since July 11. Yesterday (Saturday) morning I read on racked.com that the 5th Avenue store was giving out vouchers that let you go back later in the day to make an iPhone purchase, instead of having to wait in line for hours. I rushed off to the Apple Store, got there around 11:15am, and got a voucher for 6pm. I returned at 5:15pm, and was 5th in line for 6pm. They let in the first 8 people in line at 5:30pm sharp. There was a further 10 minute wait downstairs, in the store, after which I was helped by a very knowledgeable and helpful Apple guy. (I had a bit of a complicated porting issue, which he took care of in a snap -- I was really impressed because I had read, in this forum and elsewhere, that Apple employees don't know all that much about setting up the phones and can only do the basics). I was out of the store with my new black 16GB by 5:55pm. So basically, the whole process (not counting the morning visit) took a grand total of 40 minutes! Kudos to Apple for finally coming up with a smart, sensible solution to the crazy lines.

liltechdude
Jul 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
Wow I'm really glad that they have a better way of getting your phone. I'm going to probably go by the 5th avenue store around 7AM and get a voucher, then come by around that time and get my phone. I probably wouldn't have been able to get the phone if I would've had to make my parents wait in a 5 hour line with me (I'm 16 so they have to open the account for me).

Anyway, thanks for all of the info guys! I will post here when I get mine on Friday or Saturday!

scottm
Jul 28, 2008, 01:22 PM
How long is the average wait between getting the voucher and your assigned time to come back in to finalize purchase?

My wife and I are switching from Verizon where we have a family plan in my name with her as as authorized user. Do I need to be present at the Apple store if we want to port our #s to AT&T? If so, do I need to be there to get the voucher, or could she get the voucher and then we both go back for the phones?

Thanks!

dannyboyayyo
Jul 28, 2008, 02:41 PM
I called them at 1pm today. They told me that if i were to come right away my ticket would be for 10:00pm...It is definitely better than waiting in line for hours.

caccamolle
Jul 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
I am glad to report that it took me less than 30 minutes to get my iPhone today.

I went to pick up my voucher today around 1pm for a 5pm pick up.

Went back around 5:20pm and was done shortly thereafter.

Sorry for those who spent hours and hours in line previously, but it was quite pathetic to me to even imagine doing any such thing for a friggin' iPhone :)

thechidz
Jul 28, 2008, 09:39 PM
so how is the voucher thing working? are they doing that exclusively now?

fastrichied
Jul 29, 2008, 08:05 AM
The vouchers system is wonderful. I picked mine up around noon yesterday, went back at 5pm and was in and out within 20 minutes. They should have done something like this weeks ago.

scottm
Jul 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
Replying to myself a bit, but I went by the SoHo store this morning. They are limiting purchases to two phones per person in line. I got there about 7:50 and the line was around the corner and halfway down the store. I had my vouchers and was on my way to work at 8:30 (and the line had gotten much longer). I'll stop by this afternoon to pick up the phones.

They were also prequalifying existing AT&T customers just behind the guy with the vouchers.

-Scott

caccamolle
Jul 29, 2008, 02:43 PM
by the ways .... since scott mentioned about purchasing more than one phone, could I buy a phone for someone who lives in Italy ? are they going to be able to use it ?

dannyboyayyo
Jul 29, 2008, 03:17 PM
so i picked up a voucher today at around 12:30. they told me to come at 5pm which is fine but he told me that the wait in the voucher line is 2 hours...I do not know if that is correct but I will swing by and see what they tell me at 5...I am not planning on waiting longer than 30min..

caccamolle
Jul 29, 2008, 03:47 PM
so i picked up a voucher today at around 12:30. they told me to come at 5pm which is fine but he told me that the wait in the voucher line is 2 hours...I do not know if that is correct but I will swing by and see what they tell me at 5...I am not planning on waiting longer than 30min..

and you should not wait more than 30 min. See my post above, I did pretty much the same thing you did, and was done in a few minutes.

kirkmon
Jul 29, 2008, 03:48 PM
The voucher system rules!!

I picked up a voucher at 5th ave yesterday around 3pm for the 10pm slot. came back to the store a little after 9pm and was able to get in line behind the 9pm people around 9:15. I waited in that line for about 15mins until they brought us inside. Once inside I waited another 20 mins until they picked me up to set up my phone. They were sold out of 8gb but had plenty of the 16gb black and white. Set up was quick and painless. I was out the door at 10:05 - everything done within an hour! It was great!!!

dotdotdot
Jul 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
I posted this in another thread, but just 40 minutes away from the city (by train, and about $7) in White Plains is the Apple Store in the Westchester Mall, which is FULL of iPhones, no lines whatsoever, and doesnt involve vouchers or waiting or anything like that.

MacMD2
Jul 29, 2008, 07:31 PM
I posted this in another thread, but just 40 minutes away from the city (by train, and about $7) in White Plains is the Apple Store in the Westchester Mall, which is FULL of iPhones, no lines whatsoever, and doesnt involve vouchers or waiting or anything like that.

when are you going to the westchester apple store when there is no line? I'm in Westchester visiting my boyfriend pretty often and I've been calling to see if we can go pick up my phone there instead of waiting in lines in Manhattan... but every time I call the line is over an hour (this past saturday it was 1.5 hours... the shortest it's been...). Has it calmed down this week??

dannyboyayyo
Jul 29, 2008, 09:17 PM
i was at the 5th ave store at 5pm and they were sold out of 16gbs Black wtf when did they get restocked ughhh what bums

dotdotdot
Jul 30, 2008, 03:57 PM
when are you going to the westchester apple store when there is no line? I'm in Westchester visiting my boyfriend pretty often and I've been calling to see if we can go pick up my phone there instead of waiting in lines in Manhattan... but every time I call the line is over an hour (this past saturday it was 1.5 hours... the shortest it's been...). Has it calmed down this week??

I was there monday night, there was no lines, and empty barricades where the line would form.

bigjnyc
Jul 30, 2008, 04:30 PM
I was there monday night, there was no lines, and empty barricades where the line would form.

I went last monday also, empty line and just the lonely barricades. definitely go to the westchester mall. go around 8pm. they close at 9

t-mo
Jul 31, 2008, 11:05 AM
Any updates on NYC availability? Any apple store in NYC is ok. Also, is there any advantage of buying @ apple versus AT&T store? Ps: I'm a current AT&T customer.

kmkks
Jul 31, 2008, 08:22 PM
Got mine today at 14th street. Took me about a half hour to get a voucher at 8am. I went back to the store (you have to go before 6pm) at 3:30 and there was no one waiting. Got the phone immediately.

Pretty easy process.

liltechdude
Aug 1, 2008, 02:27 PM
Finally I have my iPhone. I went to the 5th Avenue store around 7:15AM this morning, got my voucher for 9:00. I lined up at around 8:30 and they took us in at about 8:55. It took about another 30 minutes to get to the front of the line in the store, then I finally got someone to help me. I got the 16GB black, which took about another 30 minutes to get all setup because I was opening a new account with ATT. I was off at around 10:15.

My experience wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and if you are willing to get to the store early enough, the 5th Avenue store is definitely the way to go when purchasing an iPhone.

PS- Don't trust what the guys in the Apple store have to say to you. Half the stuff they tell you is BS. I was in the line and I asked one of the "specialists" if I would be able to get a phone number that was in my area code back home in Pennsylvania. He told me that since I was purchasing the phone here in NYC, that I would have to pickup a 616 area code phone number. Turns out, you can get any area code, as long as it corresponds to your billing address zip code. I was about to leave line when I heard the guy telling me that, but I figured what the hell, I could always get the number changed later. No need for that now!

MacMD2
Aug 1, 2008, 09:13 PM
so, how does this voucher thing work exactly... About how long between the time you get the voucher and the time you're told to come back? Is it an assigned time or just an "any time after x o'clock" deal? And how late can you show up and still expect to get a voucher?

In other words... can us workin' folk who can't show up to the apple store in the middle of the workday get an iphone yet?

Billy M
Aug 2, 2008, 10:51 AM
Finally I have my iPhone. I went to the 5th Avenue store around 7:15AM this morning, got my voucher for 9:00. I lined up at around 8:30 and they took us in at about 8:55. It took about another 30 minutes to get to the front of the line in the store, then I finally got someone to help me. I got the 16GB black, which took about another 30 minutes to get all setup because I was opening a new account with ATT. I was off at around 10:15.

My experience wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and if you are willing to get to the store early enough, the 5th Avenue store is definitely the way to go when purchasing an iPhone.

PS- Don't trust what the guys in the Apple store have to say to you. Half the stuff they tell you is BS. I was in the line and I asked one of the "specialists" if I would be able to get a phone number that was in my area code back home in Pennsylvania. He told me that since I was purchasing the phone here in NYC, that I would have to pickup a 616 area code phone number. Turns out, you can get any area code, as long as it corresponds to your billing address zip code. I was about to leave line when I heard the guy telling me that, but I figured what the hell, I could always get the number changed later. No need for that now!

616? Grand Rapids, MI? where's the logic?

liltechdude
Aug 2, 2008, 01:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

616? Grand Rapids, MI? where's the logic?

woops meant 646