PDA

View Full Version : Long Island, NY

newyorksole
Jun 14, 2008, 07:34 PM
Anyone going to the Walt Whitman or Roosevelt Field Apple stores to grab the iPhone on launch day?

MXSkier62
Jun 15, 2008, 08:26 AM
i'll be at the smith haven mall.

CBalalaos
Jun 15, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'll be at Roosevelt Field

johnhmeyer123
Jun 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
The Apple Reviewcast will be broadcasting live from there. And than after the launch there will be a live broadcast of an in depth review.

Check out our live broadcast channel:

http://www.mogulus.com/applereviewcast

puckhead193
Jun 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
def. not walt witman as i LOATH that store
prob smitheaven if i go or i might just order offline

newyorksole
Jun 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
Ohhh man just found out I won't even be in the country when the iPhone releases =/ I'll be back on the 13th though to claim my iPhone.

I haven't been to the smithhaven apple store.. or the smithhaven mall actually.

CBalalaos
Jun 17, 2008, 01:24 AM
def. not walt witman as i LOATH that store
prob smitheaven if i go or i might just order offline

From what I've been reading you won't be able to order it online, because it requires in-store activation. Unless you plan on going through ebay.

I'm not sure if the in-store activation has been 100% confirmed but I think thats the most current info we have.

GuyOnTheCouch22
Jun 26, 2008, 02:15 PM
ill either be at the roosevelt field mall store or the at&t store across the street from westfield sunrise mall in massapequa

noodle654
Jun 26, 2008, 05:13 PM
I will be at the ATT Store in Shirly....thats over 50 miles from Cutchogue

newyorksole
Jun 27, 2008, 07:46 AM
ill either be at the roosevelt field mall store or the at&t store across the street from westfield sunrise mall in massapequa

I live like 5 minutes from sunrise. When I went to the AT&T store in the mall last year, they weren't even sure if they were getting the iPhone. They did let me set up an account though and gave me a free phone until the iPhone came out, never returned the phone though.

GuyOnTheCouch22
Jun 27, 2008, 11:04 AM
yea the stores in the mall kinda suck, im talking about the one outside the mall. its next to the huge shopping center with circuit city and modells in a little shopping center with lucille roberts. the one im talking about is a corporate owned store so they have to be getting them in.

newyorksole
Jun 27, 2008, 06:29 PM
yeah the one where burlington coat factory and all those places are, I didn't think about going there, I'll probably end up going to Walt Whitman though

dizash
Jul 2, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'd love to go to an Apple Store, but Roosevelt Field will be out of hand (I think) and Walt Whitman is too far from me to take the risk. I'll probably go to AT&T in Great Neck. I'm just worried that Apple stores will get a lot more to sell preventing sell out from happening.

What time are people going? Do you think 6 is early enough? I would hope if the store was going to sell out they would inform people in line where they are at with stock.

ec51
Jul 4, 2008, 05:29 AM
Sooo

Are there any LI meet ups planned?

pilotError
Jul 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
I'd love to go to an Apple Store, but Roosevelt Field will be out of hand (I think) and Walt Whitman is too far from me to take the risk. I'll probably go to AT&T in Great Neck. I'm just worried that Apple stores will get a lot more to sell preventing sell out from happening.

What time are people going? Do you think 6 is early enough? I would hope if the store was going to sell out they would inform people in line where they are at with stock.

At the first launch, Roosevelt Field did a fantastic job. I got there late (about 8:45 PM) and talked to someone who waited on line. He said he waited for about 10 minutes once the store opened. They had a bunch of sales folks with the portable terminals at special tables they set up.

We'll see how they do with the whole activation thing now. Somehow I don't see the 3G launch being as crazy as the 2G launch, but hey, I've been wrong before.

newyorksole
Jul 4, 2008, 11:17 AM
You guys should organize a meetup, I would but I'm not gonna be in the country when the iPhone is released, unless you wanna wait until July 13 haha.

Freak786
Jul 4, 2008, 11:30 PM
I am probably going to be going the Roosevelt Mall as I live in Garden City ;)

Or there is a AT&T store in Hempstead, I could go there as well, I don't know as of now.

Teh Don Ditty
Jul 6, 2008, 12:14 PM
I'll most likely be going to one of the many ATT stores in the morning.

trinigodzila
Jul 6, 2008, 06:59 PM
I was just at the Roosevelt Field store and will be avoiding that store at all cost on the 11th. It has to be the busiest Apple store on Long Island. I am thinking AT&T would probably be my best bet. I do agree that, that store that is on Hempstead Tpke in Hempstead is tempting. I just don't see it being that busy. I think I'm gonna plot out a route that involves passing by there first then heading to the East Meadow AT&T store then the mall AT&T store & if all else fails then fine Roosevelt Field Apple.

Freak786
Jul 7, 2008, 01:51 PM
I was driving on Hempstead Turnpike yesterday in Franklin Square, I passed the Clearview Cinemas and right next to is a old cingular store that has AT&T stuff on it, I'm going to go in today or tomorrow to see if they will have any iPhones, if so I'm getting mine from there.

johnhmeyer123
Jul 8, 2008, 11:22 PM
What time are all of you guys going??:)

johnnyburke
Jul 9, 2008, 06:40 PM
What time are all of you guys going??:)

I'm probably going to get to the mall pretty early. At least a couple of hours before it opens.

johnhmeyer123
Jul 9, 2008, 06:47 PM
Thats cool. Im atchually the host, owner, and producer of the Apple Reviewcast podcast. We will be broadcasting live video coverage from the roosevelt field mall. Check out our site at www.theapplereviewcast.com
:apple:

noodle654
Jul 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
Does anybody going to the ATT in Shirley tomorrow? If anybody lives near it (I live 45 minutes away), could you drive buy and check if people are already out there?

freejack
Jul 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
Anyone know how many people were at the Roosevelt Field Apple store? Thanks!

johnhmeyer123
Jul 10, 2008, 09:41 PM
IMPORTANT
Hey guys. I was the first person lined up at the Rooseevelt Field Apple store, and 2 hours into it, security kicks us out. No idea why but Apple said they cant do anything about it and its the malls property so they can do what ever they want.

They told everyone that they will NOT let anyone line up until 5 AM.

Ill be going the the 5th ave in the city. Only about 100 people there now.

freejack
Jul 10, 2008, 09:46 PM
IMPORTANT
Hey guys. I was the first person lined up at the Rooseevelt Field Apple store, and 2 hours into it, security kicks us out. No idea why but Apple said they cant do anything about it and its the malls property so they can do what ever they want.

They told everyone that they will NOT let anyone line up until 5 AM.

Ill be going the the 5th ave in the city. Only about 100 people there now.

hey john. how many people were there when they kicked you out? city's too far out of the way for me and 100 people is kinda crazy already. good luck.

johnhmeyer123
Jul 10, 2008, 09:51 PM
It was me and about 5 other people. But they said the security absoluty wont let anyone stay until about 5 AM.

Photogmatt
Jul 10, 2008, 09:59 PM
If anyone has line reports for any of the LI stores, let us know. I planned on arriving around between 5 and 5:30 at Walt Whitman. I'm hoping it won't be too crazy a line by then. There is an ATT store down there too, I called to inquire about stock and was told they wouldn't be getting them in until 8am tomorrow, which I know is crap. I'm aiming for a white phone, and I hear they haven't been popular in Australia so maybe I'm good to go.

trinigodzila
Jul 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, the malls are like that. I spoke to one of the Apple people instore at Roosevelt Field and he said people tried to line up at around midday, but were told to go home, because its a mall and they close. So if you want to line up like that you need to go to a standalone store. I prob won't look to go until about 6am, 1st scouting AT&T stores with the mall being a last resort.

trev25
Jul 10, 2008, 10:18 PM
what entrance are people lining up at? i can't go to an ATT store b/c i have apple gift cards i've been saving since xmas....my plan was to go to the mall early b/c i have to be at work by 930am the latest...

does anyone think they will still be available at the apple store after 2pm (thats when i get out of work)

johnnyburke
Jul 10, 2008, 11:21 PM
Does anybody going to the ATT in Shirley tomorrow? If anybody lives near it (I live 45 minutes away), could you drive buy and check if people are already out there?

I live semi-close so I went by, looks like no one is there as of yet. (This is as of like 11:50 ish)

iRabbit
Jul 10, 2008, 11:33 PM
Blah! I'm going to Smith Haven and I'm not even going to be able to get down there until dinner-time! I'm hoping there are still white ones left... :(

iRabbit
Jul 11, 2008, 11:16 AM
Any reports from Long Island??

noodle654
Jul 11, 2008, 12:12 PM
Any reports from Long Island??

I got there at 7:20AM and the line was huge...80+ people. I didnt get one because I think they only had about 50-60 iPhones. I was so pissed. The activation in the store took over 30 minutes per person. I waited until 10:30 before the lady told us that everybody back from this guy would not get one. I will buy one in NJ when my Dad is there. Really sucks...

NYR99
Jul 11, 2008, 12:14 PM
was at smith haven mall. got there at 7 and got out at like 12. it would have been quicker but the server went down twice. alot more people than i expected.

Photogmatt
Jul 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
I got to Walt Whitman at 5:20am, got out of the car at 5:45. I was about the 25th person into the store. Security really did a great job making sure everyone was handled, keeping out the bum rushers, etc. Basically they queued us up in the ally between bloomingdales and another store, and let off about 10-15 people at a time to queue in front of the store.

Kudos to Apple on making this a very easy experience. I wasn't porting a number or anything, but I was in and out in 15 or so. Those employees are pretty cheery for 8am. I would guess they had about 175 or more phones on the counter in back of the registers.

dizash
Jul 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
I know this is a little late. I know JM said that he was kicked out of Roosevelt Field, but I got there at 11:30pm and waited with about 5 other people up on the 3rd level which is on top of the garage, not in front of the entrance to the mall. The line started growing slowly. By 6pm it was a big line and by 7 there were a few hundred people.
Security did a good job starting around 6:30ish. Before that there was 1 security guard sleeping in his little SUV and did nothing when some guys thought it would be funny to drive their Ford Explorer around the parking lot swerving and hanging out of the car. I'm surprised they didn't roll it.
Apple did a great job once we were in the store and at two different points they came out with water for us.
Everyone else on line was pretty cool, but a few people did try to cut the line. Somehow a guy who slept in his car weaseled his way to 2nd on line which is BS because we stayed up all night on line and outside. Not sure how that happened because security was tight at the end.
Anyway, it was worth the wait, because I was 6th in the store and out of there within 15-20 minutes. The staff was pumped. There were a lot of staff that was new or not "regular," and they did a pretty good job at the initial sale. It was a piece of cake to activate with a genius and the staff was cheering us on as we entered and again as we left.
After hearing from my friend that works there that it took him 6 hours to activate, I knew my 9 hours there were worth the wait. Let me know if you have any specific questions. BTW, I'm loving my white iphone.

iRabbit
Jul 12, 2008, 02:29 PM
I went to Smithhaven this morning (Saturday) at about 9:30 and there was a line, but everyone past the 10th person was told to leave, they were out of stock. I called Walt Whitman and they had stock but a 2-3 hour wait. I'm going to end up probably holding off now until next week :(

Teh Don Ditty
Jul 12, 2008, 11:25 PM
Was in line at the AT&T store at the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream. There were about 50 people in front of me and the line wasn't moving. Left line at 9:15 to go to work.

I procured said JesusPhone™ 3G in PA while I was umm visiting a friend. ;)

johnnyburke
Jul 13, 2008, 12:06 AM
I had a similar situation. I got to the Smithaven Mall at 2AM. I was # 1. The guy at the Apple store had told me "the line will form when the first person gets here" and told me where (the new courtyard by the Barnes & Noble, etc.) and I sat on a bench with my friend. At 3:30 AM, a security guard came out and told me, my friend and one other couple to leave the property immidiately. I asked why (while packing my stuff I might add) and he said "you can do this one of two ways. get up and leave now, or I call the cops and have them do it for you".

I sat in my car right outside the courtyard until 5:30 AM when another security guard told me I needed to gett off the property entirely. Myself and three other cars went to an adjacent parking lot.

I saw a few people congregating and told security (sorry people, I was there first!)

At 6AM I saw people walking towards the store. I got out and walked over and saw a line of 20 people! Security told them to leave like they had told me but then the guy came out and said "I don't get paid enough for this, do what you want" and went inside! So I was screwed out of my place.

They opened up at 7:10 and some guy tried to cut the line, had words with four people and ended up being # 8.

Anyway, I still got an iPhone but it was the principle lol.

RR BuGGz
Jul 13, 2008, 10:49 AM
Went to Walt Whitman Apple store. Line wasn't too long at around 5:30pm. Was out of there within 2hrs. They were sold out of 16gb blacks but managed to get a white 16gb.

newyorksole
Jul 13, 2008, 07:38 PM
I plan on going to the Walt Whitman Apple Store tomorrow around 11/1130, I hope they still have some. I can't even decide if I want black or white, I have seen so many nice pictures of both.

RR BuGGz
Jul 13, 2008, 09:08 PM
I plan on going to the Walt Whitman Apple Store tomorrow around 11/1130, I hope they still have some. I can't even decide if I want black or white, I have seen so many nice pictures of both.

I couldn't really decide on color either but they ran out of black so the decision was made for me. The white actually looks pretty nice in person and probably wont see scratches as easily as the black. Can't go wrong with either color.

newyorksole
Jul 14, 2008, 12:52 AM
Looks like Walt Whitman and Roosevelt will have all iPhones tomorrow, I hope neither of them sell out within 2 hours. I was looking at more pictures and saw my friend's black iPhone in person and decided I'm going with that. The smudges didn't really bother me and I'm getting a case anyway.

newyorksole
Jul 14, 2008, 11:55 AM
I called Walt Whitman and they said they only had 8GB iPhones left and that it would be a 3-4 hour wait to actually get it.

Can anyone confirm if there are still lines in the morning when the Apple stores on Long Island open?

koos123
Jul 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
Any update on how the lines have been at Roosevelt Field?

newyorksole
Jul 18, 2008, 09:05 PM
I went thursday at 9:20 and was like 45th in line. It got to 11:05 and I was about the 20th.

Today my mom went around 9:30 and didn't get it until about 2:00.

samven582
Jun 14, 2009, 11:21 AM
who wants do a meet up at smithhaven?

nyisles84
Jun 14, 2009, 04:13 PM
i pre-ordered and will be at ATT store in Hicksville/Jericho

blockheads88
Jun 14, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hey is anyone going to Roosevelt Field and what time are you planning on going? i think i will be going there but not sure what time.

Thanks,
Jeff

johnhmeyer123
Jun 15, 2009, 05:04 PM
I pre-orded mine for Roosevelt Field. What time are you guys planning on getting to the store??

NYR99
Jun 16, 2009, 04:09 AM
I'll be at Smithhaven....5 minutes from my house. I CAN'T wait. I sold my 3G on Saturday in preperation (got $340) and being iPhoneless is TORTURE!

johnhmeyer123
Jun 16, 2009, 06:03 AM
What time are you going to get to the store??

SogeKing
Jun 16, 2009, 10:34 AM
I spoke to someone in the store and they said they will open and begin selling at 8am i dont really wanna be there all night but i need to get near the front of the line so i can be home to bring my daughter to school at 9:10am :D LOL what time is everyone else showing up?

NYR99
Jun 16, 2009, 01:40 PM
probably 6:30

blockheads88
Jun 16, 2009, 02:34 PM
So are people going to roosevelt field at around 6:30ish?

newyorksole
Jun 16, 2009, 03:17 PM
I would love to meet up with you guys, but I pre-ordered at Best Buy Mobile in Massapequa. I'll be picking my phone up on Friday at 9:00a.m.

I do know people camping out thursday night at 9:00p.m at Roosevelt Field

blockheads88
Jun 17, 2009, 10:05 AM
So people are going to be lining up on thursday night at 9?

nyisles84
Jun 18, 2009, 04:07 PM
where do you line up at roosevelt field if the mall is closed overnight?

blockheads88
Jun 18, 2009, 04:10 PM
where do you line up at roosevelt field if the mall is closed overnight?
In the parking Garage outside the apple store i would think. i don't believe the parking garage will close. and what time r u planing on going?

blockheads88
Jun 18, 2009, 06:13 PM
Anyone know what time they are planning to go to Roosevelt Field?

Contegni
Jun 18, 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm going to the Smithhaven Apple store... anyone else going?

I think I'm gonna go around 5:30-5:45 but it's supposed to be pouring rain...

Last year it was gorgeous out and we lined up outside behind Barnes and Noble until about 7:15 when they let us in the mall. I got there at 5:50 for the 8AM launch and was 26th in line, but there were hundreds behind me by the time stores opened.