PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville, FL

ian-frs
Jun 14, 2008, 08:15 PM
Anyone from Jacksonville going to be at the Town Center Apple Store?

lesterdiamond
Jun 14, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'll be there! Here's to playing hooky from work, haha :D

GeekLawyer
Jun 14, 2008, 08:59 PM
I haven't decided yet, 100%. But something tells me that I'll be there.

Last year I went to an AT&T store. This time I'm sure I'll go to the SJTC and get the whole experience.

ian-frs
Jun 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
I'm going to be on "vacation" as far as work goes. I'm hoping that this year they have shirts instead of bags.

TheYellowAudi
Jun 17, 2008, 02:01 AM
I'll be there- I'm such a dork that I officially took the day off of work to be there, regardless of the launch time! Yeah, I know, I know.......

GeekLawyer
Jun 17, 2008, 07:57 AM
Luckily I have a little flexibility in my work... and my excitement is building. So, yeah, I'll be there. :cool:

Hope we get some firm details about the process soon!

alabare
Jun 30, 2008, 02:18 PM
All the free goodies make it worthwhile. =)

ian-frs
Jul 2, 2008, 12:44 PM
Looks like I will be camping at the Apple store at 5am if they announce an 8am launch on July 6th. If not then ATT here I come bright and early!

MacGuy88
Jul 3, 2008, 08:59 AM
I would love to get there bright and early, but I have been out of the country for a year and don't have a phone at all. So I think I am going to have to go to an AT&T store beforehand and do the credit check and get a phone number before the launch, and I think I read somewhere you have to get your phone from that location.

So we'll see.

ian-frs
Jul 6, 2008, 05:17 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the Apple store here yet? I plan on calling or stopping by tomorrow at some point in time.

ian-frs
Jul 7, 2008, 07:27 PM
Apple store it is for me. Glad to hear that they will be open at 8am today.

javaGuru
Jul 9, 2008, 02:32 AM
I'll definitely be at the Apple store at the Town's center Friday morning. What time is everyone else going to be there? I'm trying to judge how early I should be there.

javaGuru
Jul 9, 2008, 02:37 AM
Has anyone heard about how many iPhones they will be getting at this Apple store?

ian-frs
Jul 9, 2008, 10:03 AM
I plan on getting there at 5, last year I think they had enough for everyone in the original line but I plan on getting a white one so I want to be as close to the front as I can be.

Jim143
Jul 9, 2008, 10:32 AM
I will be going to my local AT&T store and I plan on being there around 6 AM. The apple store is about 45 miles away and I have had nothing but less than memorable experiences there. Actually, everytime I walk in there, I end up leaving mad do to the arrogance of those that work there that I avoid that place at all costs.

It is only this one too. I have been to other Apple stores in Atlanta, Phili, Orlando and all of them have been great experiences.

g8trb8
Jul 9, 2008, 12:37 PM
I'm completely torn. I live about an hour from the Apple Store in JAX and part of me wants the Apple "experience" and of course conventional wisdom seems to indicate more inventory...I'm also considering a local ATT store that I'm fairly certain will have a very small line, but probably very limited inventory...decisions, decisions...

ian-frs
Jul 9, 2008, 03:11 PM
I think the apple store is worth it just for the experience alone and everyone should go there. I need some company while waiting. :)

javaGuru
Jul 9, 2008, 03:25 PM
I will be at the Apple store around 6am. I hope they have some decent cases for it as well on Friday.

g8trb8
Jul 9, 2008, 03:25 PM
I think the apple store is worth it just for the experience alone and everyone should go there. I need some company while waiting. :)

What time are you getting there?

g8trb8
Jul 9, 2008, 03:28 PM
I will be at the Apple store around 6am. I hope they have some decent cases for it as well on Friday.

Accessories is the other huge advantage of the Apple store. I wonder if they will give people time to shop for accessories or will they herd people out as soon as the phone is activated?

BTW, slightly off topic. I am not an ATT customer and do not want to transfer a number. Simply buy the phone and have it activated under a new account and new number. The Apple store can do this correct? Seems like a pedestrian question, but all the "how to" info deals with current ATT customers and those moving a number from another carrier.

javaGuru
Jul 9, 2008, 05:58 PM
Accessories is the other huge advantage of the Apple store. I wonder if they will give people time to shop for accessories or will they herd people out as soon as the phone is activated?

BTW, slightly off topic. I am not an ATT customer and do not want to transfer a number. Simply buy the phone and have it activated under a new account and new number. The Apple store can do this correct? Seems like a pedestrian question, but all the "how to" info deals with current ATT customers and those moving a number from another carrier.

I think I remember reading something stating that Apple would be able to handle new customers as well. :)

I'm so excited about this coming Friday. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day or a crack baby in a candy store. :D

On the line of accessories has anyone heard if Contour will have their iPhone 3G cases ready by Friday? I currently own the Contour Showcase and I absolutely love it.

ian-frs
Jul 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
I plan on being there at 5am. I bet they are going to sell accessories the same way they did last year. You bought your phone and then you were allowed to wander the store to buy anything else you needed.

javaGuru
Jul 9, 2008, 06:40 PM
I plan on being there at 5am. I bet they are going to sell accessories the same way they did last year. You bought your phone and then you were allowed to wander the store to buy anything else you needed.

I wanted to go around 5am but the earliest I can get there will be around 6am. I'm sure they will have plenty of iPhones.

ian-frs
Jul 9, 2008, 07:51 PM
Ya you should be fine getting there at 6. Once I get there and get comfy in my chair I will post up here and let you guys know how the line is looking.

javaGuru
Jul 10, 2008, 05:01 PM
Ya you should be fine getting there at 6. Once I get there and get comfy in my chair I will post up here and let you guys know how the line is looking.

cool, sounds good man. See you guys there tomorrow morning. :)

g8trb8
Jul 10, 2008, 07:17 PM
Any idea if a line's forming? The Gainesville ATT store (by the mall) already has a line of 5 or 6...

javaGuru
Jul 10, 2008, 07:49 PM
Any idea if a line's forming? The Gainesville ATT store (by the mall) already has a line of 5 or 6...

I'm not sure about the Apple store here in Jax. But, even if some people do start lining up tonight I don't think there will be too many lining up this early. There will still be plenty of new iPhone 3Gs to go around.

I'm sure the ATT store there in Gainessville probably won't be getting as many phones as the Apple store here in Jax. Maybe the people there realize this and feel the need to line up as soon as possible.

ian-frs
Jul 10, 2008, 08:03 PM
I agree with Java. I will be pretty surprised if there is a line when I show up in the morning.

g8trb8
Jul 10, 2008, 08:34 PM
I agree with Java. I will be pretty surprised if there is a line when I show up in the morning.

Well, my internal debate is over...I'll see you guys there at 5...

javaGuru
Jul 10, 2008, 08:56 PM
If you can please post about how the lines are when you guys get there at 5am. I'm hoping to get there around 6am. I just watched the unboxing of the iPhone 3G on engadget.com and it looks awesome! I'm even more excited now. :D

ian-frs
Jul 10, 2008, 09:05 PM
Looks like we have iPhone stock of all 3 for sure http://www.apple.com/retail/stjohnstowncenter/ :) Can't wait only 8 more hours!

ian-frs
Jul 11, 2008, 04:03 AM
I just got kicked away by mall security. Anyone have the same problem?

ian-frs
Jul 11, 2008, 04:36 AM
Got past security Apple store is good to camp.

javaGuru
Jul 11, 2008, 04:56 AM
I just got kicked away by mall security. Anyone have the same problem?

I just got here and I didn't have any problems with security. I guess I'm about the 15th or 16th person here. There are now about 5 or 6 people behind me now.

ian-frs
Jul 11, 2008, 05:17 AM
I'm number 6 or 7 in line. People are starting to pile in. If your looking for a quick in and out you might want to get here now.

mainstreetmark
Jul 11, 2008, 08:01 AM
How's it looking out there, fellas?

I'd come out there during lunch, but only if i can get in and out in half an hour.

javaGuru
Jul 11, 2008, 08:51 AM
How's it looking out there, fellas?

I'd come out there during lunch, but only if i can get in and out in half an hour.

It's absolutely chaos here. I called ATT while waiting in line and they informed me that I was upgrade eligible and now they are saying that I'm not eligible even though I have owned the first iPhone for nearly a year now. Meghan here at the Apple store has been awesome though. She has been on the phone with ATT for a very long time now trying to get this resolved. I have been extremely impressed with her effort to get this resolved. It appears as if more people are having the same problem. It definitely appears as if the problem is on ATTs end.

Jim143
Jul 11, 2008, 10:11 AM
I went to the AT&T store at about 5:45 and was 7th in line. Finally got in about 8:35 and didnt leave there until 9:45. Even then, my two phones were not synched with iTunes. There was such a delay / overload that they just sent people home to synch them.

There was a lady behind me - about 10 or so behind me, that when she got to the counter I heard them say they were out already. Not sure what model she wanted and she was not too happy. . . .

javaGuru
Jul 11, 2008, 03:13 PM
It's absolutely chaos here. I called ATT while waiting in line and they informed me that I was upgrade eligible and now they are saying that I'm not eligible even though I have owned the first iPhone for nearly a year now. Meghan here at the Apple store has been awesome though. She has been on the phone with ATT for a very long time now trying to get this resolved. I have been extremely impressed with her effort to get this resolved. It appears as if more people are having the same problem. It definitely appears as if the problem is on ATTs end.

To follow up with this situation. I arrived at the Apple store around 5:45 am and was 15th in line. An Apple employee came around asking us to make sure we were upgrade eligible. I knew I was eligible but went ahead and called ATT anyways just to make sure. I was happy to learn that I was indeed eligible to purchase the new iPhone. I do no have a corporate or business account and do not have any discounts attached to my phone. I am a current iPhone owner and have been so since 2 weeks after it's launch a year ago.

When I finally made it into the store and was about to purchase an iPhone I was shocked to hear the Apple employee inform me that they were receiving an error code, "ICU", or something like that. They told me I would have to purchase the phone at an ATT store. I was obviously disappointed at this point due to the fact that I had waited in line for nearly 2 and a half hours and I knew that the ATT stores would probably be sold out at this point.

An ATT employee by the name of Meghan was extremely helpful. She called ATT and tried to figure out what was wrong. They informed her that my phone was not upgrade eligible since I just purchased it recently. This was not true at all. I actually purchased the phone 2 weeks after it was launched a year ago. After discussing the problem with ATT some more she actually managed to convince them to manually activate and upgrade my account. Meghan informed me that I would have to go to the ATT store and sign a contract and then have them reverse the upgrade and deactivate the phone so she could try to activate it again.

Apparently there was no way for Apple to sell me the phone without getting past that error code. I then proceeded to the ATT store to explain to them the situation and see if they could help. They did not have a clue as to what the problem was and what Apple needed them to do. After talking to the ATT manager for a few minutes she decided to walk over to the Apple store to try to get a better understanding what the problem was.

We then walked back over to the Apple store. The ATT manager made a couple of phone calls to have the upgrade/activation reversed but this still didn't work. What was even more frustrating that the fact that the ATT manage informed me that I would now have to pay the full price of $499 for the phone since I just upgraded it. I didn't understand why I would have to pay $200 extra for a phone due to ATT's screw up.

This was very frustrating due to the fact that ATT had some glitch in their system stating that I was not upgrade eligible when I actually was. I was actually also disappointed with Apple since they had no contingency plan in case this sort of thing happened. They had absolutely no way to override the error code and sell me a phone even though they new I was eligible etc.

After spending 6 hours going through this ordeal it goes without saying that I am very tempted to pay the money I was going to pay for the phone to cancel my account with ATT. Apple and ATT really screwed this one up big time.

ian-frs
Jul 14, 2008, 03:49 PM
Did you ever get it all cleared up? My day was pretty flawless aside from the fact that my SIM was broken and I had to get it replaced. It just took a few hours with ATT on the phone and Apple care to finally realize that someone on the internet had the same issue and that was how they fixed it. Needless to say I have a perfectly functioning iPhone now.

javaGuru
Aug 3, 2008, 05:31 PM
Did you ever get it all cleared up? My day was pretty flawless aside from the fact that my SIM was broken and I had to get it replaced. It just took a few hours with ATT on the phone and Apple care to finally realize that someone on the internet had the same issue and that was how they fixed it. Needless to say I have a perfectly functioning iPhone now.

Sorry for the delayed response but I did eventually get a 16GB BLK iPhone after having to utilize AT&Ts direct fulfillment option. It took exactly 10 days from the time I ordered it to arrive at the store. I'm very happy with it so far.

mainstreetmark
Aug 5, 2008, 11:42 AM
Well, I just got mine last Friday (Aug 1st), and man was that one of the worst buying experiences in my life.

I showed up just before 8 and got the little voucher card and went happily on to work. Around 11 (well before lunch), I left so I could stop by the store, and maybe go to Five Guys, but much to my surprise, even though I was holding a card, I still had to wait in line, but fortunately the line was only 3 people long.

After 10 minutes, the first guy goes in. after 50 minutes the second guy goes in. After an elapsed 80 minutes, I finally went in, and got activated in <5 minutes. I missed lunch, of course.

Could we go inside? No -- we had to stand in the heat
Could we wait in the shade? No -- but we could use an umbrella
Could we get an estamate of how long it will take? No -- "soon".

It was extremely frustrating. Extremely. I got back to work an hour late, covered in sweat. I guess the ticket voucher thing is only to hold the phone, or something, because people who needed help learning how to check email had priority.

iPhone 1.0's activation was the best ever. iPhone 3G's was the worst.

ian-frs
Jun 15, 2009, 02:24 PM
Anyone going to be at Town Center Friday morning for 3GS?

Bookmonke
Jun 15, 2009, 08:26 PM
Probably, just don't know what time yet, have two on preorder and have one to pick up at AT&T