PDA

View Full Version : WISCONSIN - Bayshore, Mayfair, or West Towne

ThePShot
Jun 14, 2008, 08:16 PM
I will probably be at the Bayshore Apple Store. I was there last year for the original iPhone launch and also the Grand Opening of that store. It should be a blast once again!

EDIT:

Remember to check what roads are open and closed. If the weather keeps up over the next month, who knows what interstates will be flooded and closed.

Koodauw
Jun 14, 2008, 10:45 PM
I shall attend the west towne mall one, I think. I am actually a little worried about the Rev. A hick ups.

trav
Jun 14, 2008, 11:23 PM
I think I'll do Bayshore. I, too, was there last time and it was a great experience. The crowd was friendly, employees were wonderful, and the media was alright, too. However, if rain is expected, Mayfair will be my backup plan.

Shall we wear a identifying shirt or something?

honeycrisp
Jun 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
I think I'll do Bayshore. I, too, was there last time and it was a great experience. The crowd was friendly, employees were wonderful, and the media was alright, too. However, if rain is expected, Mayfair will be my backup plan.

Shall we wear a identifying shirt or something?

Yeah, the rain issue may be a problem at Bayshore, look out! Great mall, though.

ThePShot
Jun 15, 2008, 01:10 AM
I'm not worried about the weather. I love rain! lol

What time did you get to Bayshore for the first iPhone? What time do you think you're going this year?

I was on TV last year!

slimonsays
Jun 15, 2008, 06:39 AM
I am also thinking about going to Bayshore and was wondering what time did you get there last year for the launch. Did they have you wait somewhere else or were your right out front of the store. I stopped in at Mayfair last year during the iPhone launch and they were having people line up outside in one of the parking structures.

tuner4life
Jun 15, 2008, 12:43 PM
last year i went to the att store on 124th and capitol and im thinkin bout going up there at like noonish....does anybody know if they are gonna do the gay wait til 6pm or whenever like they did last year or just put them on sale when the store opens???

trav
Jun 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
I got there last year at 4pm and waited about 3 hours to get in. Bayshore allowed line up in front of the store, but the line wrapped around the corner and down the street. Hopefully they don't do a time-delay this year... they did for Leopard, too, and I thought it was extremely stupid.

nnick
Jun 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
I went to Bayshore last year about an hour after they opened and walked right in without a wait. They had plenty of iPhones left.

ThePShot
Jun 17, 2008, 12:35 PM
Last year I waited in line for the iPhone at Bayshore. That was well over half the fun. I even got interviewed by local TV stations. Pretty sweet.

wnxgenral
Jun 17, 2008, 02:53 PM
Last year i waited at the ATT Store on Bluemound Road, I was first in line and first out of the stuff... I'm down to wait with you guys, I already took off July 10th through the 14th :) haha

Sir Tony
Jun 17, 2008, 03:34 PM
I am going to be at the Bayshore location with my roommate.

iTouchComputing
Jun 17, 2008, 05:28 PM
After the 3G & App Store launch date is over, I'd like to invite Bayshore, Mayfair and West Towne iPhone adopters to the first meeting of the Southeastern Wisconsin iPhone Meetup Group on Tuesday, July 30th at 6:30 p.m. Agenda and signup at:

http://newtech.meetup.com/119/

P.S. I was #19 in line at Bayshore last year and was one of the persons who had ended up on the Channel 12 news report because I'd purchased two units that evening. It was great to hangout with everyone there.

jetplanesky
Jun 22, 2008, 10:37 PM
Any thoughts on whether an Apple store is better than a corporate AT&T store or an AT&T "authorized" store?

I just want the phone. Not into being on the news or sleeping overnight.

There must be some obscure location that the masses will overlook.

Jet

daveschroeder
Jun 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
Any thoughts on whether an Apple store is better than a corporate AT&T store or an AT&T "authorized" store?

I just want the phone. Not into being on the news or sleeping overnight.

There must be some obscure location that the masses will overlook.

Jet

Only AT&T Corporate stores (not authorized resellers or kiosks, even corporate-owned kiosks) will have the iPhone. All AT&T Corporate locations in any "city" area will likely be overwhelmed with people waiting in line.

There are also other factors here, such as whether the phone will be available at store open, or whether it's going to be a big hype-fest again, with announcing at the last minute that it will go on sale at 6PM (which is completely unnecessary), etc. If it goes on sale at 6PM, that means you're guaranteed to have to wait pretty much at least the entire day to have any reasonable spot in line (and yes, people will be camping out at Apple and AT&T stores). That said, last time, AT&T stores got very little stock the locations in Madison only got 30 phones. Apple stores, on the other hand, got enough stock that at most locations, people were able to walk in the day after the launch and pick one up with no wait.

But...things have also changed this time. Many more people know about the iPhone, and it's 1/3 its original cost. Also, people can't just walk out with iPhones in-hand without activation; so while there are rumors that current iPhone customers may be able to leave sans activation and simply go home with the phone and activate via iTunes as normal, many others will need to go through a "10-15 minute" (according to AT&T) activation process in store. Can you imagine how long that will take on launch day?

As we get closer, we'll know more. Some folks last time took the strategy of going to AT&T Corporate locations "in the middle of nowhere"...but there aren't that many *Corporate* locations off the beaten path. Plenty of authorized resellers, but only Corporate locations have the iPhone.

I think the first day is going to suck any way you slice it if you just want the phone and not the hype. I waited from about 6:30 AM on the original launch day at the AT&T Corporate store on Mineral Point Road in Madison (the Apple store wasn't open yet). Even then, I was #14 in line, and did two radio interviews and one TV interview (and I wasn't "looking" to do that sort of thing, either). So you're going to have to deal with campers and hype. ;-)

wnxgenral
Jun 25, 2008, 01:38 AM
There is an ATT Corp store on 124th/Capital here in Brookfield... its really an unknown gem, I think this is where I'll do my camping because the newbies are all gonna be at the TWO Apple stores we have in the area! I mean that would be fun too i guess!

jetplanesky
Jun 26, 2008, 06:30 AM
There is an ATT Corp store on 124th/Capital here in Brookfield... its really an unknown gem, I think this is where I'll do my camping because the newbies are all gonna be at the TWO Apple stores we have in the area! I mean that would be fun too i guess!

There are two AT&T corporate stores on south 76th. One over near Kopps and the other is in back next to Qudoba. Seems a bit odd for them to do that but I think it has to do with the switch over from Cingular. I'm almost positive the one next to Quidoba was a Cingular store.

I will probably take my chances and go the next day. I'm not feeling like being a part of the Apple marketing machine this time. I had expected the phone in January. What's a few more days going to matter.

What bothers me is that these phones have been stacking up in warehouses since March (they should have more this year). They are intentionally holding off so they can roll out 20 countries in a day. They my also be going for a "summer blockbuster movie" approach and will want to set a record for the number of phones sold in a day, weekend or the first week. I'm sure they're streamlining the process to keep the lines moving.

For the users it's all annoyance knowing that a product that has been off the shelf and unavailable for over a month has been collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere just because Jobs wants to work the media machine.

But that's Apple for you.

Jet

tuner4life
Jun 26, 2008, 08:41 PM

thats where i was at last year and i got there at like 7am and was first in line til about 10am and thats when more people started showing up.....thats where im planning on going this year too prolly gonna be up there around the that time again ;)

jetplanesky
Jun 28, 2008, 10:39 AM
I think we'll have a better idea when the lines will form when we find out what time the phone will go on sale.

There has been some talk of a morning time of 8am, which would make more sense due to the required in person activation.

Till then . . .

Jet

SpitFire000
Jun 30, 2008, 12:27 AM
Well looks like ill be in the Green Bay area July 11th... unfortunately there are no local Apple stores, anyone form that area and thinking about going to the AT&T store? any one recommend when i should get to the store? how many yins think they will have in stock?

Im from Pittsburgh, should i just wait till Saturday to get one back home? i really would like to have it the day it comes out.

Also, im not the owner of the acct(att) does the owner need to sign the agreement for 2 years? i know all of the owners(my mother) SS, CC, all them numbers & info. Im 17 BTW

worth it maybe to drive and go the nearest APple store? (like 2 hours away)

jetplanesky
Jun 30, 2008, 11:08 PM
According to knowledgeable reports Apple has been stockpiling the iPhone 3G in regional warehouses since March while it's stores have not been selling any since sometime in May. Why? Because there is a reason behind this madness.

It's obvious that Apple wants to make the simultaneous roll out of the 3G iPhone in 20 countries on the same day an international media event. The Apple marketing machine would like you to wait hours in line on the 11th to fulfill their desire for their free publicity machine. They expect crazy news reports of people camping out for a cell phone that should be an easy walk in purchase the very next day. Apple obviously wants to make money. But unlike the commonly held belief there should be plenty to go around. Their projected sales are in the millions. They've been through this fire drill before and learned from it. It's not going to be a Wii limited supply scenario.

We are being played, and I know it's occasionally fun to be played (I've waited in lines for opening night tickets for all of the prequel Star Wars films and all of the Lord of the Rings films, including the marathon) but this one is a bit annoying and a bit too obvious.

I plan a full day of work on the 11th, a typical Friday night of fun and a new cell phone purchase on Saturday the 12th, probably at an AT&T store because it'll lack the psychological faux limited supply and reward mentality that will be crazy at the Apple Stores.

This is pure text book marketing and commerce tactics, not a starvation bread line. Apple wants to make money. There should be plenty of 3G iPhones to go around. If you have the psychological need to "belong" to this group, please do. Enjoy yourself. I know it can be fun (I was in the Milwaukee Journal photo of the opening of Mayfair Apple store). It is rare for such events to occur. You have every right to "belong" to such an activity, but a more sober look at the facts proves your unspoken assumptions of limited supply to be false. There is no need to be a first day purchaser. There will be plenty to go around.

We will all be fed. Please remain calm.

I am just thankful that Apple makes such incredible products that it generates this sort of hysteria and desire. Let's hope they can sustain it.

Of course waiting a day for the 3G iPhone is going to kill me and I may easily eat my words.

Jet

trav
Jun 30, 2008, 11:22 PM
Also, im not the owner of the acct(att) does the owner need to sign the agreement for 2 years? i know all of the owners(my mother) SS, CC, all them numbers & info. Im 17 BTW

There is an authorized user link on the AT&T account website. As long as you can log is as your mom (or have her log in) and add you as an authorized user, you should be fine in theory. Be sure to have an ID with you, too, to prove your identity. This is how it should work, but it's possible that you'd be turned away regardless.

jetplanesky
Jul 1, 2008, 05:33 PM
Whoa, $499 is pretty stiff for a 16GB considering the new plans but it's still cheaper than the 1.0 version.

For a meetup, is this an overnight camping scenario or a break of dawn scenario?

I'm not up for the camping but 5am I could probably do.

Anyone else? Which is the least popular store (shortest line)?

Jet

guitarguy09
Jul 1, 2008, 08:14 PM
hmm... if they supposedly go on sale at 8am and Mayfair doesn't open until 10am (typically on Fridays), do you think we will have to wait until 10am for the rest of the mall to open?? Also, where exactly did they have people line up early at Mayfair last year??

(if the case is that we have to wait until 10am, then other stores, like maybe AT&T stores, are the way to go?...)

wnxgenral
Jul 2, 2008, 09:56 AM
hmm... if they supposedly go on sale at 8am and Mayfair doesn't open until 10am (typically on Fridays), do you think we will have to wait until 10am for the rest of the mall to open?? Also, where exactly did they have people line up early at Mayfair last year??

(if the case is that we have to wait until 10am, then other stores, like maybe AT&T stores, are the way to go?...)

So go to an ATT Corp store, like the one on 124th and Capital. I'l be there and its gonna be so much more organized then Mayfair...

daveschroeder
Jul 2, 2008, 10:01 AM

Most malls open far earlier than the stores (for walkers), usually anywhere between 6-8AM. Mayfair has one set of doors open at 6AM, and the rest at 7AM.

guitarguy09
Jul 2, 2008, 10:44 AM
So go to an ATT Corp store, like the one on 124th and Capital. I'l be there and its gonna be so much more organized then Mayfair...

The only problem is that I have two Apple gift cards that I've been saving so I can use them to purchase it. I know I could eventually use them on something else at the apple store (maybe logic or something), but I've been hanging on to them for so long with the iphone in mind...

guitarguy09
Jul 2, 2008, 10:47 AM
Most malls open far earlier than the stores (for walkers), usually anywhere between 6-8AM. Mayfair has one set of doors open at 6AM, and the rest at 7AM.

Thanks for the response! Any idea which door opens at 6am?

(Where did you find this info, because it isn't mentioned on the Mayfair website?)

daveschroeder
Jul 2, 2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the response! Any idea which door opens at 6am?

(Where did you find this info, because it isn't mentioned on the Mayfair website?)

I just called Mayfair. :-)

http://www.mayfairmall.com/

(414) 771-1300

She said the one door that opens at 6AM is "in the center by the professional building" (I don't know Mayfair, so I don't know what that means), but you can certainly call them and ask!

tuner4life
Jul 2, 2008, 06:17 PM
so did the officially come out and say that 8am or is that just all speculation right now???

daveschroeder
Jul 2, 2008, 06:54 PM
so did the officially come out and say that 8am or is that just all speculation right now???

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25883

jetplanesky
Jul 2, 2008, 11:25 PM
The only problem is that I have two Apple gift cards that I've been saving so I can use them to purchase it. I know I could eventually use them on something else at the apple store (maybe logic or something), but I've been hanging on to them for so long with the iphone in mind...

You better hunt down a credit card, they may not take gift cards. For the launch of iPhone 1.0 they only took credit cards for credit rating reasons (without actually stating that directly).

Jet

guitarguy09
Jul 3, 2008, 10:22 AM
You better hunt down a credit card, they may not take gift cards. For the launch of iPhone 1.0 they only took credit cards for credit rating reasons (without actually stating that directly).

Jet

Wow, I didn't know that. It's not a problem, I have a few credit cards but it the principle of the thing... I've waited a year to use one of my gift cards. Oh well, maybe I'll just use it to get some iPhone 3g speakers or something...

wnxgenral
Jul 4, 2008, 01:11 AM
Just talked to the manager(s) at the Mayfair lcoation... They are unsure whether or not the Mall will be letting customers sleep outside for the phone but they did say if Apple said it would be launched at 8AM then they will be open at 8AM! Im still hitting up the ATT Corp store on 124th and Capital... its where the original iPhone campers should meet up! haha

daveschroeder
Jul 4, 2008, 08:43 AM
Just talked to the manager(s) at the Mayfair lcoation... They are unsure whether or not the Mall will be letting customers sleep outside for the phone but they did say if Apple said it would be launched at 8AM then they will be open at 8AM! Im still hitting up the ATT Corp store on 124th and Capital... its where the original iPhone campers should meet up! haha

There is no question about whether Mayfair will be open at 8AM, as every weekday, they have one set of doors open at 6AM, and all others open at 7AM.

c073186
Jul 4, 2008, 07:41 PM
What about Janesville's AT&T store in the mall? There cannot be that many people there who will be getting an iPhone?

tuner4life
Jul 6, 2008, 06:29 PM

well since the launch time is 8am what time u thinkin bout gettin up there... i work third shift so i am gonna prolly be leaving work at like 3 or 4 to get up there

wnxgenral
Jul 8, 2008, 12:26 PM
I'm planning on going to the ATT store on 124th and Capital but if anyone REALLY wants to go to Mayfair I will... Email me ASAP! If anyone was at the original ATT Store back on Blue mound road for iPhone V1 Launch? Email me! Lets do it again! haha

lisheran
Jul 8, 2008, 02:26 PM
i don't know where i am going yet either Mayfair or 124th and Capitol.

jetplanesky
Jul 9, 2008, 07:09 PM
Talked to a guy in a local AT&T store this afternoon he made the following observations:

1. People started in line the MORNING of the day before last years 6pm sale time. Take from that what you will.

2. "The phones are going to go fast." (Yes, we figured that.)

3. Phones are allocated based on location sales. That being said my guess the Apple Store at Mayfair would have the most and also be the craziest.

4. They have hired a line monitor. No line skips or place holding. He did not say what time (or day) this person goes on duty.

5. He said they are going to have "a lot" of people working that morning.

6. The store appears to be set up to handle a lot of simultaneous sales. They have at least 8+ registers for checking out. That still would put it at about 30 phones an hour (15 minutes each).

That's my report. Pick your location and go for it.

Jet

tailg8r
Jul 10, 2008, 09:04 PM
Talked to a guy in a local AT&T store this afternoon he made the following observations:

1. People started in line the MORNING of the day before last years 6pm sale time. Take from that what you will.

2. "The phones are going to go fast." (Yes, we figured that.)

3. Phones are allocated based on location sales. That being said my guess the Apple Store at Mayfair would have the most and also be the craziest.

4. They have hired a line monitor. No line skips or place holding. He did not say what time (or day) this person goes on duty.

5. He said they are going to have "a lot" of people working that morning.

6. The store appears to be set up to handle a lot of simultaneous sales. They have at least 8+ registers for checking out. That still would put it at about 30 phones an hour (15 minutes each).

That's my report. Pick your location and go for it.

Jet

i have nothing against ATT employees but i would take all of that with a grain of salt. I have talked to three different people at the 124th store and have received different answers from each one. I finally called the regional apple store manager (i used to work with him prior to him being with apple) and he said that all store should have enough to fill demand. He told me i should be fine going saturday morning even if i wanted. he also said that apple at mayfair will have over 5 times the iPhones (that is all he would tell me) that the 124th store will have. he recommended going to the apple store if i have to have one tomorrow. he said it doesn't matter to apple where you buy it. just my two cents

pacohaas
Jul 11, 2008, 08:37 AM
Any news from Madison? A friend went this morning, but not sure if he got one yet or where he went. Were there any lines anywhere? How is stock? I'll probably pick one up this weekend if I get a chance.

jeremy.king
Jul 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
Bayshore line was HUGE.

AT&T in New Berlin and Oconomowoc Sold OUT.

tailg8r
Jul 11, 2008, 10:51 AM
sounds like the att stores only got around 40 phones per location at the most, i am sorta pissed thinking i could just leave early from work and go get one but doesn't look like that is happening.

Just called apple store in Mayfair and they are out, Bayshore still has inventory but the guy wouldn't tell me how many

sp44
Jul 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
Any more updates? I'm stuck at work. Probably screwed for getting one after work I take it? :(

jetplanesky
Jul 11, 2008, 03:51 PM
i have nothing against ATT employees but i would take all of that with a grain of salt. I have talked to three different people at the 124th store and have received different answers from each one. I finally called the regional apple store manager (i used to work with him prior to him being with apple) and he said that all store should have enough to fill demand. He told me i should be fine going saturday morning even if i wanted. he also said that apple at mayfair will have over 5 times the iPhones (that is all he would tell me) that the 124th store will have. he recommended going to the apple store if i have to have one tomorrow. he said it doesn't matter to apple where you buy it. just my two cents

All comments were taken with a grain of salt. I was just offering what I was told.

I avoided the Apple stores because it was obvious they'd be the craziest.

I purchased my 3G iPhone (16GB, white) at the 76th street AT&T store next to Kopps.

On Thursday I met the first person in line at about 4pm. He was still there when I arrived this morning at 4:45am. There were about 12 people in front of me. Luckily we were under an awning and the Starbucks opened up at 5am for snacks and toilets.

By the time the doors opened at 8am about 35 or more people had joined the line. We were photographed by TV stations 58, 6 and 12, who actually sent a reporter, the others didn't. Whoohoo.

One interesting thing that happened was a young employee went through the first part of the line in the preceeding 30 minutes asking which model you were intending to purchase. On his pad of paper you could see two columns, one labeled "white" and the other "black", each with the number "10" written below them. It was obvious the store at that time only had 20 16GB models. A manager quickly spied what he was doing and stopped him. I have no idea how many 8GB models they had in stock.

I was in the first batch let in the doors. The first 10 at the counters took longer than 15 mintues each (the expected time for all of the paperwork) because of the unbricking problem. Only 2 phones were unbricked while I was there. Many, including me, finished the process at home.

I was out the door at 8:45am after attempting to unbrick for about 10 minutes.

The employees repeated to the group in line that if they did not have the phone you desired in stock they would order it for you and it could be picked up next week.

The experience wasn't too painful. I think the rain kept early risers away. Supposedly customer #1 had consumed 7 cans of Monster over the course of the evening. He was a bit of a zombie I think. Can't wait to see if the two interviews he did make it to the air.

The phone is great. Get one even if you have to wait in line or wait for an order.

Jet

tailg8r
Jul 11, 2008, 06:56 PM
I just got back from Mayfair and they got more while I was in line. I got my 8gb after 3hr wait

tailg8r
Jul 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
I just got back from Mayfair and they got more while I was in line. I got my 8gb after 3hr wait btw they still had hundreds left no lie!

dhr
Jul 11, 2008, 11:59 PM
Decided to skip Bayshore and went straight to the AT&T store a half mile north on Port Washington. Got there around 8:20am and waiting about 20 minutes before they said all the 16gb were sold out. There were maybe 50 people in front of me, so I just decided to leave and go to the store on Green Bay near Brown Deer. There were maybe 20 people in line around 9:00am...lady came out and said there were 4 16gb white (no black) left while I was 2nd in line. When I got in, they were all apparently sold. I put in a fulfillment order so now I guess I will at least get exactly what I want.

Interestingly, I just logged into my AT&T order status indicator and it says mine is order #2. I don't know what that means at all, but it hasn't shipped or anything.

Maxington
Jul 12, 2008, 12:24 AM
3hr drive from Oshkosh to Bayshore and a 4hr wait and I now own a 16 GB white and 8 GB black iPhone... all-in-all a slow but steady process....

BTW ATT seemed to have NO stock at all today while apple had tons, but very long lines

tailg8r
Jul 12, 2008, 08:35 AM
3hr drive from Oshkosh to Bayshore and a 4hr wait and I now own a 16 GB white and 8 GB black iPhone... all-in-all a slow but steady process....

BTW ATT seemed to have NO stock at all today while apple had tons, but very long lines

It looks like Mayfair finally ran out last night. Their status is showing for them to have more phone for tomorrow (Sunday). When I went to the ATT store and found out that they went through their 30 phones (what a joke) so fast I went straight to Mayfair. I honestly could not believe how many phones they had. When I left at 5pm last night there was still a good 100 people or so in line and they were staying open until 11:00pm last night. ATT kinda got the shaft if you ask me.

slimonsays
Jul 12, 2008, 09:15 AM
a

slimonsays
Jul 12, 2008, 09:15 AM

Depending on what time u left your best bet would have been to go to the ATT store in Fond du Lac. (Like 30min drive) I got there at 4AM and there was 1 person in there car. I sat in my car till 6AM and there was at total of 5 people there. I was first in line when the doors opened at 8 and the line was just under 20 people.

jeremy.king
Jul 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
Just left BabeShore with my new iPhone which has already incurred it's first battle scar due to its careless owner...

Line was very short, I was maybe 8th or 9th. Arrived a little past 11, waited maybe 40 mins. Total time in and out was maybe an hour. Service is very SLOW - was told a few people called in sick which probably didn't help. In any case, had small issue trying to port a number with no luck, as expected (out of market) - took a new number instead and may try calling to get my number ported.

They are sold out of ALL black models as of lunchtime today. Associate said they get random shipments, so YMMV.

schield
Jul 17, 2008, 10:24 PM
I live in Wausau for the summer (my hometown), but am going back to Madison for college again in the fall. As you know Wausau only has EDGE, (crappy EDGE too) so I'm wondering how the 3G is in Madison with iPhone?

trav
Jul 17, 2008, 11:26 PM
How the 3G is in Madison with iPhone?

While this isn't a dead on reply, I think I can shed some light. I live in Whitewater (also Edge zone), but I used 3G while in the Milwaukee area and it was fantastic. It was definitely faster than the WiFi at my apartment, so Madison's, if not the same, should be even better!

guitarguy09
Jul 21, 2008, 11:41 AM
While this isn't a dead on reply, I think I can shed some light. I live in Whitewater (also Edge zone), but I used 3G while in the Milwaukee area and it was fantastic. It was definitely faster than the WiFi at my apartment, so Madison's, if not the same, should be even better!

I live in Milwaukee and although the 3g is fast, it is not as fast as the WiFi at my home using Road Runner (Time Warner) cable internet and either Time Capsule or Airport Express. Also, most of the Starbucks, McDonald's, and Barnes & Noble's around me are offering free AT&T wireless access to iPhone users. Sweet deal...